- Not to be confused with the mines placed by the Proximity Mine Launcher, which uses Rockets purchased from the Cyborg as ammo.
Land Mines are unique Hardmode, post-Plantera placed items. They remain dormant once placed, until a character touches them or they are activated by Wire, at which point they explode, dealing 250 damage. They are purchased from the Demolitionist for 5 each, after Plantera and at least one Pirate Invasion have been defeated. In the Console version, Land Mines can be purchased before Plantera is defeated, but only at night; once Plantera is defeated, they will be available at all times.
- Land Mine explosions do not damage placed blocks or walls.
- NPCs can trigger Land Mines.
- A Pressure Plate wired to Explosives may be more effective during PvP, since it is not as visible. However, it will destroy blocks, and the enemy may defend in the pit
- Since the Mobile version's housing menu can’t move NPCs, Land Mines are useful for moving NPCs to different houses and/or to different biomes.
- Land Mines can be used as a way to kill (and collect drops from) friendly NPCs.
- In singleplayer, if a Softcore character is killed by a Land Mine, they will not drop money on death. This is because it counts it as a PvP death (also true for Hellfire Arrows and Explosive Bullets).
- The Land Mine's texture is a reference to "Worms", a series of video games created by Team17.