Waterfalls are created when water touches a half block (1 foot high block), which can be created by using a hammer. Lava and honey can be used in the same manner to create "lavafalls" and "honeyfalls". Two types of waterfalls are possible: a running waterfall is produced when a half block is at the edge of a liquid body; and a stationary, vertical waterfall is produced when a body of water is only supported by a half block.
Waterfalls are visual effects only; they do not drain anything from the liquid source, nor do they have any effects on players, creatures, environment, or furniture; however, lavafalls will emit light like lava. Therefore, players will not drown if they are under a waterfall, will not be inflicted with the On Fire! debuff and get damaged in lavafalls, or get the Honey buff in honeyfalls.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The color of a waterfall will match the normal color of water in the biome in which it is located, unless it runs across a Rainbow Brick or a Gemspark Block.
- The aforementioned block-altered waterfalls are visible in the darkness, but do not generate light.
- Blood Moons will turn waterfalls red, just as they turn normal water red.
- A stream created by a half block doesn't necessarily have to be a waterfall. For instance, liquid flowing along a surface will create a brook.
- If two falls of different liquids flow at the same location, one of them will normally be hidden behind the other. Walls and natural backgrounds (such as the rocky "scenery" of the Cavern layer) appear to have an effect on this, causing water and honey to combine into a whitish waterfall, and water and lava to combine into a purple waterfall.
- Lavafalls and honeyfalls will also visually appear to flow at greater viscosity than water.
- Worlds generated before 1.2 will not have natural waterfalls.
- As of 220.127.116.11, the player can hammer blocks to create waterfalls that fall behind blocks.
- Vertical waterfalls are not visible to the player on Retro or Trippy lighting.
Images[edit | edit source]
A bug with waterfalls. The bug still works as of 18.104.22.168.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Now can fall through half-tiles over air.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Now makes noise when nearby. Fixed a bug where too many Waterfalls would crash the game.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.