Attack animation of a fully stacked Light Disc.
The Light Disc is a Hardmode boomerang-type weapon that deals melee damage. Light Discs have the rare ability (along with the Bananarang, though it's twice the amount) to be stacked up to 5 in a single slot, which allows them to be rapid-fired by holding the attack button, with multiple discs in the air at once. They are quicker than other Boomerangs, and can ricochet any number of times. After approximately two seconds, the disc will return to the thrower.
Light Disc physics are similar to the Thorn Chakram, though they have nearly twice the range and don't "wobble" as they travel. They also emit a small amount of light, comparable to the glow of Demonite or Crystal Shards.
Light Discs cannot have Modifiers through any usual in-game means, due to their stackable nature.
Several ricochet examples.
- Liquids slow their travel speed.
- Counts as a melee weapon, so buffs that increase melee damage and speed will affect the discs.
- Due to their infinite ricochet ability, Light Discs ricocheting at acute angles in small enclosure can cause exponential ricochets and particles, which can make the game lag.
- In the Mobile version Mimics cannot drop the Compass; they instead have a chance of dropping a Light Disc.
- In the Mobile version before the 1.2 update, you could throw an infinite amount of Light Discs
- If you fire a Light Disc into a wall with another 1 block wide wall behind you, they can slip through, allowing for safe enemy killing from behind a barrier.
- A full stack of five Light Discs is very useful for cave exploration, gathering drops from underground enemies, and generally surviving underground in Hardmode. Its continuous ricocheting fire, long range, and ability to have five projectiles in the air at once, along with the lack of any ammo consumption, mean that the usage key can be held continuously during travel to maintain a rather large spread "field" of indefinite protective fire with relatively little need to aim.
- A full stack of Light Discs can be very effective when fighting monsters in small areas or rooms.
- Crafting and selling Light Discs can be a good source of coins. Two of the three materials needed for crafting drop from The Destroyer, with said materials worth 5 60 if sold separately (4 for 5 Souls of Might + 1 60 for 4 Bars). Three (3) Souls of Light add 6 to the total crafting cost (5 66 ). This in contrast to the 10 sell price of the Light Discs (~90% increased value).
- Bears a resemblance to the Identity Discs in the Tron franchise.
- Upon entering the map function of the console and mobile versions of Terraria, a small Light Disc will briefly appear as the loading icon.
- Light Discs can be assigned Modifiers through use of an inventory editor. The best modifier that will stick is Godly, like other boomerangs.
- 188.8.131.52: Damage increased from 25 to 57.
- 1.2: Crafting recipe changed. Formerly used Cobalt Bars and Mythril Bars instead of Hallowed Bars.