Light Pets are summoned secondary characters that float alongside players to provide a traveling light source. They incur no mana nor any other cost, and remain indefinitely until the player cancels the buff, summons a replacement light pet or dies. Only one light pet can be present at once. Light Pets have their own dedicated inventory slot in the player's equipment section in the PC version, along with a slot for dyes.
| Desktop-Only Content: This information (or parts of it) applies only to the desktop version of Terraria.
- Although it is possible to change the color of the pet itself using dyes, the color of the light they produce will stay the same.
- When equipped to the Light Pet slot, pets can be toggled on and off using the small eye icon in the top right corner of the item slot.
- If a Light Pet is equipped in its respective slot, it will automatically respawn if the player dies, unless the slot is toggled off.
- The Baby Truffle and Cursed Sapling can give off light, although they are not considered Light Pets.
- 1.3.4: Introduced Creeper Egg.
- Introduced Crimson Heart (item), Magic Lantern and Suspicious Looking Tentacle.
- Dedicated light pet slot added.
- 126.96.36.199: Fixed bug where you could have Fairy Bell and other light pets up simultaneously.
- No longer require mana.
- Introduced Wisp in a Bottle.
- Replaced Orb of Light by Shadow Orb.
- Buffs no longer expire.
- 1.1: Introduced Fairy Bell.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.