Lightning Bugs are harmless critters that can be caught with a Bug Net and do not normally interact with the player in any other way, except in that they can be killed by both players and enemies. They have 5 health and usually serve as ambient entities in Terraria.
Lightning Bugs spawn during the night but are rarer than Fireflies. All naturally spawned Lightning Bugs can be caught with the Bug Net or Golden Bug Net , and carried in the player's inventory (or placed in storage). If a Lightning Bug caught with any Bug Net is taken from inventory and "used" (placed), it is again released into the environment at the cursor and behaves as usual. On Desktop and Console, critters spawned from statues cannot be caught with the Bug Net; attempting to do so will cause the critter to disappear in a puff of smoke.
A caught Lightning Bug can be crafted into a Lightning Bug in a Bottle to create animated display furniture. Once crafted, the critter cannot be released. They can furthermore be used for fishing, with a bait power of 35%, or sold to any NPC vendor for
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The spawn rate of Lightning Bugs is randomly determined upon dusk. Therefore, there will be massive swarms on some nights and on other nights very few will spawn.
- Lightning Bugs as well as Fireflies spawn at a higher rate on nights during a New Moon.
- They may spawn in huge amounts if the two factors above (correct moon phase and high random daily spawn rate) coincide. Hundreds of them can then be farmed in the time of a night this way.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Similar to Fireflies, they are very useful as bait due to the large quantities that can be obtained per night. Note that they only spawn in The Hallow, which makes them Hardmode-exclusive.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Although it may seem as if the Lightning Bug is the "Firefly version" of the Enchanted Nightcrawler (both 35% bait power with similar color changes), it is not crafted, contrary to the Enchanted Nightcrawler.
- In real life, "lightning bug" is just another name for firefly, not a seperate insect.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Can now be used to craft Firefly Statues.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Can now be used as bait.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Introduced.
- Console 1.07: Can now be used as bait.
- Console 1.06: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Introduced with the ability to be used as bait.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced with the ability to be used as bait.