|Lost Girl transforms into a Nymph (in detail)|
The Nymph is a rare enemy that spawns in the Cavern layer. When encountered, she appears as the Lost Girl, who seems to be a helpless NPC in need of rescue. When a player gets close or attacks the Lost Girl, she transforms and attacks as the Nymph, a dangerous enemy that deals high damage (for a pre-Hardmode enemy).
The Lost Girl will only transform into a Nymph if one of the following apply:
- The Lost Girl has been hurt.
- The distance between the player and the Lost Girl is less than 200 pixels, and she has a direct line of sight to the player.
- The Lost Girl is moving (falling, knockback).
The Lost Girl is immune to the Confused debuff, but the transformed Nymph is not.
She is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer .
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Minions and other enemy-seeking weapons will target the Lost Girl before she transforms into a Nymph.
- Nymphs spawn less frequently during Hardmode. This is because in Hardmode, despite the spawn rate for enemies becoming greater, the variety of enemies that can spawn makes it far less likely for the Nymph to be selected. For this reason, it is best to search for Nymphs prior to Hardmode to make obtaining the Metal Detector easier.
- While the Nymph is one of the rarest enemies in Terraria, in reality, she spawns more frequently than is initially apparent. She is usually missed due to her passive and stationary behavior: she often remains in dark areas, without moving to attack players or making any sounds, unlike what most enemies would do. Using a Lifeform Analyzer, the Nymph's actual spawn rate becomes more apparent.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- While she moves fast and hits hard, she cannot attack from a distance, nor can she jump very high. Stay out of reach and use a ranged weapon to dispatch her safely.
- A Harpoon, flail, boomerang or yoyo can be effective, as the Nymph can be stun-locked. Even with her high health, the Harpoon can kill a Nymph in moments with no risk to the wielder, due to its extremely high rate of fire, so long as it is used at short range.
- A Hunter Potion, Lifeform Analyzer, or both can be useful for finding Lost Girls.
- In Expert mode , the Lost Girl has twice the health of a normal friendly NPC. This makes her suspicious even for a first-time encounter.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In Greek and Latin mythology, a nymph is a lesser female deity who served the god of nature, Pan.
- The Lost Girl sprite appears naked, likely to make her seem more vulnerable and in need of saving.
- The left half of the Nymph Banner depicts the Lost Girl, while the right half is the actual Nymph enemy.
- The Nymph's hands appear to be stained with blood.
- The achievement for killing the Nymph appears to show her in the Lost Girl form.
- With a drop chance of 0.5%, the Nymph Banner is one of the rarest items in the game.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Spawn chance increased.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Can now drop her own respective banner.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.