"The fanatical leader of the Dungeon coven..."
The Lunatic Cultist is a Hardmode, post-Golem boss summoned by killing the Cultists that spawn at the Dungeon's entrance after Golem is defeated.
Defeating the Lunatic Cultist initiates the Lunar Events (which include the four Celestial Towers).
After all four Celestial Towers have been destroyed, the cultists respawn at the dungeon entrance, allowing you to fight the Lunatic Cultist and initiate the Lunar Events multiple times.
The Lunatic Cultist makes its first brief appearance at the Mysterious Tablet as soon as the Cultists are defeated. It is not vulnerable to attacks at this time. It then warps to a new location in midair and summons one of three attacks:
- A burst of three homing fireballs that explode on impact
- An ice ball that fires ice shards in six directions four times over as it flies in one direction before slowly fading away
- An orb that fires bolts of lightning at the character
As the Lunatic Cultist becomes damaged, it adds two spreads of five destructible Ancient Light projectiles as part of his attack cycle.
In Expert Mode, it may also spawn numerous Ancient Dooms that fire four purple projectiles in a cross pattern.
The Lunatic Cultist cycles through its various attacks, performing four to five of them before proceeding to spawn phantom duplicates of itself called Ancient Cultists, along with a larger version of the Mysterious Tablet via a "ritual". Unless the one true Lunatic Cultist is interrupted by an attack from a player during this ritual, the duplicates fly in formation and add their homing shadowflame attacks.
Attacking a duplicate results in the summoning of the Wyvern-like Phantasm Dragon . If there is already a Phantasm Dragon inbound, attacking a duplicate triggers an Ancient Vision , which resembles a miniature Moon Lord head. Duplicates can be eliminated by hitting the true Lunar Cultist during the ritual, but if not, large quantities of duplicates can amass.
|| Obsessive Devotion • "Defeat the Ancient Cultist, fanatical leader of the dungeon coven."
| Defeat the Lunatic Cultist for the first time.
- If the player loses against the Lunatic Cultist, or goes far away enough for it to despawn, the Lunatic Devotes and Cultist Archers at the Dungeon will respawn after one day passes.
- The Cultists won't spawn if Skeletron has not yet been defeated in the current world, since the Old Man takes spawn priority over the Cultists.
- The Lunatic Cultist will only take 75% of the damage from homing projectiles (e.g, Chlorophyte Bullets and summoned minions).
- The Lunatic Cultist can only have 6 decoys active at the same time.
- If the Player loses against the Lunatic Cultist, he/she can still spawn the Moon Lord with a Celestial Sigil obtained from another world.
| Real Lunatic Cultist (left) and decoy (right)
For more elaborate strategies on defeating the Lunatic Cultist, including Weapon and Arena recommendations, see Guide:Lunatic Cultist strategies.
- Avoid defeating the Lunatic Cultist if you are not yet ready for the Lunar Events. Beating the Lunatic Cultist causes the Lunar Events to begin immediately, and there is no way to de-summon them thereafter (aside from defeating them).
- The real Lunatic Cultist can be distinguished from its fakes in a number of ways:
- The real Cultist is the only one with a health meter.
- The real Cultist has a sharp triangle-shaped eye, while the clones have round eyes.
- The real Lunatic Cultist has a line on its hood while the fakes don't.
- Most minions and homing weapons will only attack the real Cultist.
- The real Cultist does not emit light, while the decoys do; however, this may only be apparent if fought at night.
- The decoy Cultists are named "Ancient Cultist" instead of "Lunatic Cultist".
- Using a Hunter Potion will only highlight the real Cultist.
- Attacking a decoy Cultist is not a bad idea if you have the Vampire Knives. The resulting Phantasm Dragon is very long and may be easily targeted to restore some life.
- The Lunatic Cultist's attacks appear to be based on the four pillars from the Lunar Events.
- It is a common belief that the Cultists' design was inspired by Crowno's clothes. However, according to Crowno, the Lunatic Cultist was designed first.
- The boss' appearance resembles a plague doctor costume, which was a garment worn by physicians who treated the Black Death in 17th century Europe (which in turn was based off 14th century plague doctor bird-like masks).
- It is the smallest boss, and the only one without an awakening message.
- The Lunatic Cultist's mask and trophy are named "Ancient Cultist" rather than "Lunatic Cultist", as they are still using an early development name. Several other enemy drops from 1.3 also retained their early development names until later patches.
- The Lunatic Cultist has an Expert Mode Treasure Bag in Terraria's game files, but it is currently unobtainable as it does not actually drop it.
- This is the only boss to use music specifically titled after another boss, Golem, and the only boss whose music starts before the boss itself spawns, due to the golem music beginning when the Cultists become aggressive.
- The term lunatic is nowadays usually used as an informal synonym for "insane", "mentally ill", etc. The word itself, however, originated from the fact that diseases were historically thought to have been caused by the moon, tying in with the moon-themed events following this boss.
- The Lunatic Cultist, The Brain of Cthulhu, The Moon Lord, The King Slime, and Duke Fishron (in expert mode) are the only bosses that can teleport.
- The head icon displayed on the map is also shown for the Ancient Cultists.
- By using a Magic Mirror, Recall Potion, ect., you can teleport away from the cultist and it will despawn.
- When the Lunatic Cultist first spawns, it makes a noise that sounds like an altered version of someone saying "No more you'll know." or "The more you know." He says this while he is absorbing the Mysterious Tablet's power. After this, he makes a laugh-like sound effect (also sounding like it is altered) and the texture appears to have the mask tilt up.
- Oddly, when the Lunatic Cultist is killed, the text message appears as "Celestial Creatures are invading!" before "Lunatic Cultist has been defeated!"
- This could be to show that the Lunatic Cultist finished the ritual that would lead to the appearance of the Moon Lord
- No longer respawns while the Moon Lord is spawning.
- Can no longer spawn during important events like boss fights, invasions etc.
- Fixed rare occurrence of cultists sinking into the floor in multiplayer.
- 18.104.22.168: Introduced.