|1||16.67% <img alt="Desktop, Console, and Mobile versions" src="" decoding="async" title="Desktop, Console, and Mobile versions" width="38" height="12" data-file-width="50" data-file-height="16" />|
14.29% <img alt="Old-gen console version" src="" decoding="async" title="Old-gen console version" width="9" height="12" data-file-width="12" data-file-height="16" />
The Magic Dagger is a Hardmode magic weapon that operates exactly as the Throwing Knife, but uses mana instead of consuming stacks of the item. It also causes more than triple the damage. A single Magic Dagger can be thrown limitlessly whenever mana is available, and is never consumed. The Magic Dagger has a
14.29*1/7 (14.29%) chance of being dropped by Mimics.
Magic Daggers will fly in a direct line in the direction of the cursor for the first 16 tiles of distance, then suddenly start being affected by gravity and losing horizontal momentum. They also produce a small amount of light on impact.
Its best modifier is Mythical for raw damage output, but Celestial makes the weapon use less mana. The speed downside of Celestial causes little to no damage loss due to how piercing damage can only hit enemies at a set rate.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Despite the tooltip implying that it is a single dagger that would "magically return" before being thrown again, multiple Magic Daggers can be thrown in succession without waiting for them to impact. Also, the daggers don't return to the player like a boomerang, meaning the dagger probably teleports back into the player's inventory as it's "magical returning" property.
- Its fire rate is effectively the speed at which the player is capable of pressing the ⚒ Use / Attack button.
- Liquids significantly slow the projectiles, and cause them to fall off after a much shorter distance.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Magic Dagger can pierce, making it a very viable weapon against worms like The Destroyer and Wyvern.
- Because the projectiles are small and have an unusual trajectory, it may take some time to learn how to aim them effectively.
- Because the Magic Dagger falls after being thrown directly up, it can hit twice. This can mean one dagger can do 80 damage to an enemy above the player.
- The Magic Dagger is similar to the Shadowflame Knife, though it is better for crowd control as it can fire faster and pierce enemies.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Sell value decreased from 20 to 5.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Increased damage from 28 to 40.
- Decreased use time from 14 (Very Fast) to 8 (Insanely Fast).
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.