The Man Eater is an enemy found only in the Underground Jungle biome, and is nearly identical in appearance and behavior to the above-ground Snatcher. Man Eaters spawn anchored to blocks, with an extendable stem topped by a pincher. The stem itself is a passive component and can be walked through safely without incurring damage; only the pincher inflicts or takes damage.
Destroying the block that a Man Eater is rooted on removes it instantly; however, this method of dispatching a Man Eater never yields any dropped items. It may not count as a proper kill towards the banner. Verify
Man Eaters are immune to the Poisoned, Venom, and Confused debuffs.
Differences from Snatchers[edit | edit source]
- Man Eater's body color is a brown/pinkish vine, as opposed to a green vine for Snatchers.
- Man Eaters have a chance to drop Vines, whereas Snatchers don't.
- Man Eaters can extend their stems about twice as far as Snatchers.
- When lit on fire with weapons such as the Sunfury, their erratic movement patterns may cause them to reveal hidden caves with their light.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Will no longer drop the Ancient Cobalt Helmet and the Ancient Cobalt Leggings together.
- Desktop 1.2: Vine drop rate increased from 25% to 33.33%.
- Health reduced from 130 to 110.
- Damage reduced from 42 to 34.
- Defense reduced from 18 to 10.
- Now has a chance to drop Ancient Cobalt armor when killed.
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- Health decreased from 200 to 130.
- Damage decreased from 60 to 45
- Man Eaters are now drawn in front of tiles rather than behind them.
- They now extend their stems at random, rather than when the player is moving rapidly.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Man Eaters no longer drop Jungle armor, which is instead crafted by the player.
- They now pass through blocks, are immune to knockback, and no longer extend their stems when struck.