Map size refers to the size of a Terraria world. Upon creation, on the Desktop version and Console version, you can select either "small", "medium", or "large" for the size of the map you generate. On the Mobile version and version, you can select either "normal" or "expanded". The worlds are smaller due to less storage. An "expanded" world on Mobile and is the equivalent of a "small" Desktop and Console world.
Dimensions of the different map sizes are as follows: (one block = two feet)
|Map||Size of map
|Size of map
|Normal||3500 x 1800||1750 x 900||3486 x 1786||1743 x 893||2–5|
| Small /
|8400 x 2400||4200 x 1200||8234 x 2234||4117 x 1117||2–3 (1–4 )|
|Medium||12800 x 3600||6400 x 1800||12634 x 3434||6317 x 1717||4–6|
|Large||16800 x 4800||8400 x 2400||16634 x 4634||8317 x 2317||4–8|
Map Size Comparison[edit | edit source]
Different world sizes may be better suited for different purposes. Players may find that creating many small worlds may be more efficient than creating large worlds due to the amount of memory needed.
Advantages of Small Worlds[edit | edit source]
- Getting to specific locations like the Dungeon, Jungle and Oceans requires less walking.
- Building skybridges, subways, teleporters, and hellevators is quicker and less costly.
- Less digging is required to reach the Underworld.
- Floating Islands are lower and therefore easier to find.
- Wyverns spawn closer to the ground and are therefore easier to farm.
- Note though that this can be a double-edged sword as simply being above the treetops can trigger them to spawn.
- The world generates, saves, and loads faster.
- Small worlds are more compact potentially making ores easier to find.
- The Corruption/Crimson/Hallow is easier to control.
- The Corruption/Crimson is less likely to spawn near the jungle.
- It is easier to find the Jungle Temple.
- Retrieving liquids such as water and lava with buckets or pumps is quicker and easier.
- Meteors are easier to locate.
- Biomes are much easier to completely rennovate (Converting Corruption/Crimson to Hallow/Purity, converting Jungle to Mushroom, etc.)
Advantages of Large Worlds[edit | edit source]
- There is more space to build and explore.
- There are more total chests and pots underground per world.
- There are more Floating Islands.
- The Dungeon is larger, with a greater potential to have all three Dungeon Wall types.
- There are more Corruption/Crimson chasms and Demon Altars. This also means there would be more hardmode ores to generate.
- There are more Shadow Orbs/Crimson Hearts to destroy, which drop unique and valuable items.
- There is a higher chance of generating Pyramids.
- The Underworld is longer, potentially giving more time to defeat the Wall of Flesh.
- The Celestial Towers will be more spread out, reducing the likelihood of the player's base and NPC homes being overrun.
- There is a larger amount of ore.
- There is a larger amount of wood.
- There are more Jungle Shrines.
- There are more Enchanted Sword Shrines.
- There is a greater chance of having lakes big enough for fishing in surface biomes.
- The Jungle Temple is larger and possibly contains more traps and Lihzahrd Power Cells.
- The Wyvern spawn level is higher making above-ground housing safer at low altitudes.
- The surface terrain tends to be more varied and interesting.
- More meteors can be in the world.