The Martian Probe is a rare Hardmode, post-Golem flying enemy that can spawn anywhere in the outer two thirds of the map, but not near the world center. It is most commonly found in the space layer. It does not fly through blocks. The Martian Probe initially appears with a green light. When it spots the player, the light turns red, and it attempts to escape. If allowed to escape, it initiates the Martian Madness event. Strangely, its Bestiary entry will not unlock if it's allowed to escape.
It is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Martian Probes spawn more frequently in the Space layer.
- Effects that increase enemy spawn rates, such as Water Candles and Battle Potions, as well as events like a Blood Moon or Solar Eclipse will give the Martian Probe more chances to spawn. The probe can spawn during these events.
- In addition to increasing the spawn rate, using a Water Candle will also nearly triple the Martian Probe's spawn chance.
- The spawn rate of the Martian Probe is reduced significantly after Martian Madness is completed once.
- Minions do not deliberately attack the Martian Probe, but the Stardust Dragon and the Sharknado can still accidentally make contact and kill it.
- If the player follows the Martian Probe up to the sky until it escapes, it disappears before reaching the top of the map and the Martian Madness event will be canceled.
- Though they have a damage stat of 5 / 10 / 15, Martian Probes have no means of attack besides contact damage.
- Martian Probes will not spawn if a Martian Saucer is still alive somewhere in the world, even if the Martian invasion has already been defeated.
- Despite not being able to travel through blocks when you find it, it can and will go through them to escape once it spots you.
- Chlorophyte Bullets do not auto-target Martian Probes.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Bestiary entry for the Martian Probe: "Sensing growing power on the planet, otherworldly beings send space-age technology to scan for advanced lifeforms."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Fixed a bug that prevented Martian Madness and other invasions from triggering when they should.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Health increased from 150 to 500.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11: Introduced.