|AI Type||Passive AI|
|Damage||111619 (combat wrench) |
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 124
The Mechanic is an NPC who sells various mechanisms, as well as Wire Cutters and Wrenches, allowing the player to construct and activate wired devices like traps and critter engines. She can be found in the Dungeon after killing Skeletron, where she spawns randomly as the stationary Bound Mechanic, similar to the Goblin Tinkerer, Stylist, Tavernkeep, and Wizard. Talking to her will free her, after which she will respawn as long as a vacant house is available, even if killed.
On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, the Mechanic will attack nearby enemies by throwing her Combat Wrench like a boomerang to defend herself, dealing 11 / 16 / 19 damage at the start of the game, and (on the Desktop version) as players progress she will gain various stat increases. Also on Desktop, she may also drop this weapon upon death.
The Bound Mechanic is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
|Red Wrench||Always available.|
|Blue Wrench||Always available.|
|Green Wrench||Always available.|
|Yellow Wrench||Always available.|
|Wire Cutter||Always available.|
|Red Pressure Plate||Always available.|
|Green Pressure Plate||Always available.|
|Gray Pressure Plate||Always available.|
|Brown Pressure Plate||Always available.|
|Blue Pressure Plate||Always available.|
|Yellow Pressure Plate||Always available.|
|Orange Pressure Plate||Always available.|
|Teal Pressure Pad||Always available.|
|Booster Track||Always available.|
|Junction Box||Always available.|
|Mechanical Ruler||Always available.|
|Mechanical Lens||Always available.|
|Engineering Helmet||Always available.|
|Wire Bulb||Always available.|
|Mechanic's Rod||During Waning Crescent, when the Angler is present, in Hardmode.|
|1 Second Timer||Always available.|
|3 Second Timer||Always available.|
|5 Second Timer||Always available.|
|1/2 Second Timer||Always available.|
|1/4 Second Timer||Always available.|
|Any Pylon||When in a specific biome and is happy enough.|
Living preferences [edit | edit source]
For more information, see NPC happiness.
Names[edit | edit source]
The Mechanic may have any of the following names:
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Interaction quotes[edit | edit source]
When Goblin Tinkerer is present:
When Arms Dealer is present:
When Tavernkeep is present:
When found in Dungeon:
During Blood Moon:
During a Party :
During a Windy Day:
During a Thunderstorm:
When in a Graveyard:
Happiness quotes [edit | edit source]
When far from home:
When in a sparse area:
When in the Snow biome:
When in the Underground:
When near the Goblin Tinkerer:
When near the Cyborg:
When near the Arms Dealer:
When near the Clothier:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Although the topmost corridors of the Dungeon may be accessible prior to defeating Skeletron, the Mechanic will only be found below zero depth. Therefore, encountering her always requires defeating Skeletron, because the Dungeon Guardians spawning below zero depth will override all dungeon spawns.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
|The Mechanic during a Party|
- There appears to be conflict between the Mechanic and Nurse during a Blood Moon. During this time, the Merchant has a chance of saying, "Oh, great. I can hear <name of Mechanic> and <name of Nurse> arguing from here."
- The Mechanic has a crush on the Goblin Tinkerer, as referenced by her quotes, and judging by some of the Goblin Tinkerer's quotes, he has a crush right back.
- This is also proven by her happiness quote, "Umm... <Name of Goblin Tinkerer> the Goblin Tinkerer makes my heart flutter, I need to get that checked!"
- Rarely, the Nurse and Mechanic can both have the same name, either Kayla or Amy. This can cause the Merchant to say on a Blood Moon, "Oh, great. I can hear Kayla/Amy and Kayla/Amy arguing from here."
- The line, "<name of Arms Dealer> keeps talking about pressing my pressure plate. I told him it was for stepping on." is a vague sexual reference. The Arms Dealer is apparently hitting on the Mechanic, using innuendo, but she doesn't get the euphemism and takes his comment literally.
- This might be the reason of the conflict between the Nurse and the Mechanic, since the Nurse has a crush on the Arms Dealer.
- During a party, when the Mechanic dons a party hat, her hairstyle is different: she wears it down instead of up in a bun. This makes sense as wearing a party hat while having hair in a bun would be cumbersome.
- Her ability to throw her wrench like a boomerang to defend herself may be a reference to Ratchet from the Ratchet & Clank games, who can do the same move.
- Some of her names, "Autumn", "Dawn" and "Ginger" are references to the color orange and thus to her red hair.
- – According to the official game lore, the Mechanic was being forced to rebuild Cthulhu piece by piece by the Cultists. This is most likely the origin of the mechanical bosses.
- The Mechanic hates the Clothier, most likely because he was the one who tied her up and left her in the Dungeon, as referenced by one of his quotes.
- Although she and the Clothier have a mutual hatred for each other, they do not appear to know why, as she only vaguely mentions that he "doesn't know how to treat a woman", while the Clothier cannot remember leaving her in the Dungeon, possibly due to curse being lifted.
- Her dislike of the Underground due to "a traumatic experience" likely refers to this incident as well.
- The Bestiary entry for the Mechanic: "The Mechanic was imprisoned for her aptitude in engineering. She sells wiring and tools for putting together anything imaginable."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Desktop 1.3.1: Added Yellow Wrench, Teal Pressure Pad, Junction Box, Mechanical Lens, Engineering Helmet, and Wire Bulb.
- Desktop 1.1.1: Now can be untied with Autopause enabled.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.