The Mechanical Bosses are three Hardmode Bosses that can be summoned by "Mechanical" items, and are themselves metallic and robotic in appearance. In addition, there is a 10% chance that one will randomly spawn each night after the first Demon/Crimson Altar is destroyed in a world, and each will continue to spawn randomly until it is defeated at least once.
The Mechanical Bosses' summoning items can be crafted at a Hardmode Anvil. Each also drop from all Hardmode enemies (except statue-spawned enemies and Meteor Heads) with a 1/2500 chance until their respective boss is defeated.
Once any single Mechanical Boss has been defeated for the first time:
- The Steampunker will arrive (if a vacant house is available).
- The Truffle will begin selling the Mushroom Spear and Hammush.
- Solar Eclipses start to occur.
- Red Devils and Lava Bats spawn in the Underworld.
- Yelets can be dropped by any enemy in the Jungle biome.
- Life Fruit will begin to grow in the Underground Jungle (Life Fruit will already have been growing on the Old-gen console version, Mobile version, and , but will now grow even more after a Mechanical Boss is defeated). version
- Old One's Army upgrades to Tier 2 and will progress to wave 7. Betsy will not spawn yet, however.
Defeating all three triggers the status message "The jungle grows restless...", and Plantera's Bulbs begin spawning in the Underground Jungle. The breaking of these is required to summon Plantera, which is required to have the ability to enter the Jungle Temple. This will also cause Mothrons and Reapers to spawn in the Solar Eclipses.
|Boss||Spawn Message||Summoning Item||Soul Type|
|"You feel vibrations from deep below..." or "You feel a quaking from deep underground..."|
|"This is going to be a terrible night..."|
|"You feel the air getting colder around you..." or "The air is getting colder around you..."|
Summoning Items Recipes[edit | edit source]
The Destroyer[edit | edit source]
The Twins[edit | edit source]
Skeletron Prime[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Bringing the Mechanical Bosses’ summoning items to a pre-Hardmode world makes it possible to defeat them prior to defeating the Wall of Flesh. However, the Wall of Flesh must still be defeated in order to unlock Plantera.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Players who aren't confident in their ability to defeat the bosses, but who want access to the Hardmode Ores, can refrain from destroying any Altars until they are ready and instead fish for Crates, which offer those ores and their bars as random rewards during Hardmode. Crates acquired pre-Hardmode can also be saved until Hardmode, and will still offer Hardmode rewards.
- Once one of the spawning messages appears at random, fleeing underground, or logging out and back in again, can prevent the Mechanical Bosses from spawning.
- On the Mobile version and , the player can find a versionDrax in an Underworld Shadow Chest, allowing the player to get Turtle armor before defeating any of the Mechanical Bosses, making it much easier to defeat them on the first try.
- On the Mobile version, and version Old-gen console version, if you’ve successfully defeated a mechanical boss you may want to make the Excalibur and then live through a solar eclipse. If you’ve obtained a Broken hero sword craft a True Excalibur at a Mythril/Orichalium anvil. If you have the Nights Edge and you have another Broken hero sword from the solar eclipse craft a True Nights Edge and use that instead. If you have another Broken hero sword use the True Nights Edge and the True Excalibur with another Broken hero sword you can craft the Terrablade.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Some teasers for the Mobile version release included The Destroyer having blue-lit segments instead of red.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- See the individual mechanical boss articles for more specific changes.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Life Fruit now only spawns after defeating a Mechanical Boss. Now drop Mechanical Cart pieces.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Fixed bug where "The jungle grows restless" message would appear before you have beaten all 3 Mech Bosses.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Mech bosses no longer spawn randomly if another boss is alive. You can still summon multiple bosses manually.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Mech bosses are now slightly more difficult.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Reduced the chance for a mechanical boss summon to drop during hardmode.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Hardmode Crimson, Corruption, and Hallow spread is now slowed after killing Plantera instead of any Mechanical Boss.
- Slightly increased the chance for a Solar Eclipse to happen, but they will now only happen after killing a Mechanical Boss.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.