We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
From Terraria Wiki
The Mechanical Worm is a Hardmode item used to summon The Destroyer, the Hardmode version of the Eater of Worlds. It can only be used during night time; attempting to use it during the day will not summon the boss or consume the item. Using another Mechanical Worm while The Destroyer is already summoned, again, will result in the Mechanical Worm not being consumed, and a second Destroyer will not appear.
If you have not defeated The Destroyer yet and you are in Hardmode, all enemies have a 1 in 2500 (0.04%) chance of dropping this item, with the exception of statue-spawned enemies and Meteor Heads.
- Unlike Worm Food, a Mechanical Worm can be used outside of the Corruption. However, it requires night time for usage, whereas the Worm Food can be used regardless of time.
- Like other mechanical summoning items, the Mechanical Worm can be brought to pre-Hardmode worlds and will successfully summon The Destroyer there.
- As with several items, the Mechanical Worm has multiple crafting recipes(4 in total) due to some items in the recipe having alternates.
- 1.3.1: Sprite updated. Old sprite was less mechanical, and looked like this: .
- 1.2.1: Drop chance decreased from 1 in 1000 (0.10%) to 1 in 2500 (0.04%).
- Now also drops randomly from any enemy in Hardmode.
- No longer requires copper, and requires one fewer Soul of Night.
- 1.1: Introduced.