The term "mechanical bosses" refers to three Hardmode bosses; The Destroyer, The Twins, and Skeletron Prime, which are grouped together under this generic term due to sharing certain characteristics: They can be summoned by "mechanical" items and are themselves metallic and robotic in appearance. In addition, there is a 10% chance that one will randomly spawn each night after the first Demon/Crimson Altar is destroyed in a world, and each will continue to spawn randomly until it is defeated at least once.
The mechanical bosses' summoning items can be crafted at a Hardmode Anvil. They also drop from all Hardmode enemies (except statue-spawned enemies and Meteor Heads) with a 1/2500 chance until their respective boss is defeated.
Defeating any single mechanical boss for the first time causes the following to happen:
- The Steampunker will arrive (if a vacant house is available).
- The Truffle will begin selling the Mushroom Spear and Hammush.
- Solar Eclipses start to occur.
- Red Devils and Lava Bats spawn in the Underworld.
- Yelets can be dropped by any enemy in the Jungle biome.
- Life Fruit will begin to grow in the Underground Jungle (on the Old-gen console and versions, Life Fruit begins growing in small numbers when Hardmode is initiated; more will grow after a mechanical boss is defeated).
- The Traveling Merchant will begin to sell the Code 2 .
- Old One's Army upgrades to Tier 2 and will progress to wave 7 (however, Betsy will not spawn until Golem is defeated).
- Plantera's Bulbs begin spawning in the Underground Jungle.
Defeating all three mechanical bosses causes the following to happen:
- The status message "The jungle grows restless..." appears.
- Plantera's Bulbs begin spawning in the Underground Jungle, allowing the boss to be summoned.
- Reapers and Mothrons now spawn during Solar Eclipses (on , Reapers will spawn after just one mechanical boss is defeated).
|Boss||Spawn message||Summoning item||Dropped Soul type|
|"You feel vibrations from deep below..."
"You feel a quaking from deep underground..."
|"This is going to be a terrible night..."|
|"The air is getting colder around you..."
"You feel the air getting colder around you..." Verify
Summoning Items Recipes[edit | edit source]
The Destroyer[edit | edit source]
The Twins[edit | edit source]
Skeletron Prime[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- It is possible to summon a mechanical boss pre-Hardmode if the summoning items are brought in from another world. However, if the Wall of Flesh has not been defeated, Plantera's Bulbs will not start spawning.
- Once one of the spawning messages appears at random, fleeing underground, or logging out and back in again, can prevent the mechanical boss from spawning.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- In order to acquire the Hardmode ores, it is not required to destroy Altars and thus expose oneself to the risk of having a mechanical boss spawn unexpectedly. Instead, it is possible to open crates, which contain Hardmode ores and bars. Crates acquired pre-Hardmode can also be saved until Hardmode, and will still offer Hardmode rewards.
- On the , the player can find a versionDrax in an Underworld Shadow Chest, allowing the player to acquire Turtle armor before defeating any of the mechanical bosses, making it much easier to defeat them on the first try.
- On the Old-gen console version and , it is possible to obtain a versionTerra Blade after defeating a single mechanical boss. Note that three Broken Hero Swords (As opposed to two) from a Solar Eclipse will be required, however.
- As long as the respective mechanical boss has not been defeated, its summoning item can be farmed in events with a high number of enemies, such as the Pirate Invasion or Goblin Army.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- All of the mechanical bosses seem to shoot a red death laser when in at least one of their forms.
- They are the only bosses whose Expert-exclusive items are crafting materials.
- – According to the official game lore, the mechanical bosses are likely the parts of Cthulhu which the Mechanic was forced to build. This explains the lack of a mechanical counterpart of the Brain of Cthulhu, as the mechanical Cthulhu lacks a brain and the Mechanic was never able to finish it.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- See the individual mechanical bosses' articles for more specific changes.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Desktop 1.2.4: Fixed bug where "The jungle grows restless" message would appear before you have beaten all three mechanical bosses.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: No longer spawn randomly if another boss is alive. You can still summon multiple bosses manually.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Now slightly more difficult.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Reduced the chance for a mechanical boss summoning item to drop during Hardmode.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Hardmode Crimson, Corruption, and Hallow spread is now slowed after killing Plantera instead of any mechanical boss.
- Slightly increased the chance for a Solar Eclipse to happen, but they will now only happen after killing a mechanical boss.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.