The Difficulty mode is a character setting selected during character creation. There are 3 different options: Softcore, Mediumcore, and Hardcore. The difficulty mode of a character determines what happens upon their death. Once a character has been created, its difficulty cannot be changed.
There is also a choice between Normal and Expert mode when creating a new world. This is a separate setting that applies to the world, rather than the character, and similarly can't be changed once the world has begun generating.
Softcore[edit | edit source]
Softcore is the default character mode, and the easiest.
Softcore characters drop half their coins on when killed by a boss or enemy (rounded up), which can be retrieved upon respawning, but may also be collected by other players in Multiplayer. Softcore characters respawn at their spawn point after death, following a short delay.
Characters in the Mobile version are automatically set to Softcore on creation.
In an Expert mode world, Softcore characters will drop 75% of their money, instead of the usual 50%. Enemies can also steal your coins and despawn, which can be a huge setback for the player.
Mediumcore[edit | edit source]
Mediumcore characters drop all of their items upon death, including all coins and ammo. These can be retrieved upon respawning, but may also be collected by other players in Multiplayer, and by enemies in Expert Mode. Mediumcore characters still respawn at their spawn point after death, following a short delay.
Hardcore[edit | edit source]
Hardcore characters die permanently, and drop all of their items upon death, including coins and ammo, which other players can then collect in multiplayer.
Death causes a Hardcore character to become a Ghost that can continue to observe the world but not affect it. Ghosts can fly, pass through walls, and continue to chat with other multiplayer users, but cannot interact with the environment in any way and cannot open a map. Other players are not able to see Ghosts.
Once a dead Hardcore character quits the current world, that character is permanently deleted. Items the character placed in Chests will not be deleted, but items the character had in portable storage (Piggy Bank, Safe, Defender's Forge) will be deleted.
World modes[edit | edit source]
- Normal mode: This is the normal difficulty, as the name suggests.
- Expert mode: Intended for experienced players, Expert Mode worlds contain the same enemies, but with increased stats, and some have altered behavior patterns that make them more difficult to defeat. Loot drops are more frequent, however. As a special reward, bosses drop Treasure Bags which, in addition to the normal boss loot, also contain special items only available in Expert Mode. Expert Mode brings numerous other changes. See Expert Mode for a more complete list.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Difficulty modes and world modes are unrelated to Hardmode, which is a change to the world that occurs after the Wall of Flesh has been defeated.
- In the Console version, softcore mode is called "normal mode", and mediumcore is called "Difficult". Hardcore is still called hardcore.
- Difficulty cannot be changed in the Mobile version or the version. All players are automatically set to softcore.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- New players may want to use softcore mode characters until they become more familiar with the game.
- Mediumcore characters may want to keep their second-best equipment in a chest in case of death.
- Hardcore mode can be utilized to freely explore a map by dying and flying through the ground and sky as a Ghost.
History[edit | edit source]
- 126.96.36.199: The proper items will now drop on Mediumcore/Hardcore deaths.
- 188.8.131.52: Fixed bug where Hardcore characters couldn't open the menu after death.
- 1.1.1: Mediumcore characters now correctly drop items with modifiers on death.
- 1.1: A Tombstone is now dropped upon the death of softcore characters.
- 184.108.40.206: Mediumcore characters now correctly drop ammo on death.
- Mediumcore mode introduced.
- Added Ghost sprite to replace dead Hardcore characters.
- 1.0.5: Hardcore mode introduced.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
| Game mechanics |
|Combat||Attack speed • Autoswing • Combat Targeting • Critical hit • Damage • Knockback • Minions • Velocity|
|Environment||Ambient objects • Day and night cycle • Environment • Event • Map size • Moon • Music • NPC despawning • NPC spawning • Status messages • Wind • World Seed|
|Interface||Minimap • Logo • Title messages|
|Items||Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Crossover content • Explosion-proof objects • Mining speed • Modifiers • NPC drops • Placement • Pickaxe Power • Rarity • Storage • Tooltips • Use time • Value|
|Game||Achievements • Settings (desktop version) Config.json • Camera mode • Data IDs • Difficulty • Expert mode • Game controls • Lighting mode • NPC names|
|Multiplayer||Chat • Multiplayer|
|Player||Aggro • Breath meter • Buffs and Debuffs • Character styles • Death • Defense • Drowning • Fall damage • Ghost • Hairstyles • Health • Health regeneration • Inventory • Mana • Player stats • Spawn|