|AI Type||Fighter AI|
|Damage||30 / 60|
|Max Life||400 / 800|
|KB Resist||85% / 87%|
|Debuff duration||1 - 4 seconds|
|Debuff tooltip||You are completely petrified!|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- 1% / 2%
- Internal NPC ID: 480
Medusa is a Hardmode enemy found near Marble Caves. While being a relatively fast-moving melee attacker, Medusa also has the ability to inflict the Stoned debuff through her gaze. This debuff turns the player to stone:
- The player will be unable to move or use weapons for the duration of the debuff, similar to being frozen.
- Fall damage-negating accessories are disabled, fall damage is increased, and the minimum distance for fall damage is reduced.
The debuff's onset is marked by Medusa's snake hair (as well as Medusa herself) lashing out red tongues, as well as a unique noise and particle effect, giving players notice before they are petrified. Players can avoid getting stoned by facing the other direction when the animation completes, or by having the Medusa's line of sight blocked by solid blocks.
The lower HP Medusa has, the faster she will move, similar to the Wall of Flesh.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While Stoned, the player can still consume health items.
- If Stoned while grappling or riding a minecart, the player will disengage and fall.
- During the day on the surface layer, Medusa will become passive and despawn instantly once off screen.
- Only one Medusa can spawn in the world at a time, unless a Medusa Statue is used.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Getting the Stoned debuff is very dangerous: If the initial fall doesn't kill you, the few seconds of stun time could be long enough for hoplites, cave bats and other cavern enemies to finish the job.
- Note that attacking the Medusa with most weapons will cause you to turn towards her. Try not to engage her until she is within range or you have a very accurate ranged weapon, so that you may stun-lock her before she has a chance to petrify you.
- Facing away from Medusa while fighting off other enemies is recommended.
- Yoyos, the Magic Missile, and the Flying Knife make great weapons against Medusa as you can use them behind you, and around corners, out of her line of sight. White String also helps if you decide to use yoyos.
- Ironically, the Medusa Head is also a great weapon against Medusa as you can use its "stare" while looking the other way.
- Using the Feather Fall Potion can still protect you from taking fall damage, even when you are Stoned.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Medusa is the name of the most well-known of the Gorgons of Greek mythology: a species of creatures who look like women, have living serpents for hair, and Medusa was able to cause humans who looked into her eyes to turn into stone. According to Greek mythology, Medusa was turned into a gorgon by the goddess Athena.
- The word "marble" is of Greek origin, as is "Medusa" and "hoplite" (which means "soldier/infantryman"). In Terraria, Medusa and Hoplites both spawn in Marble Caves.
- The Banners of the Medusa and Hoplite do not show the image of the enemy on their corresponding Banners. The Medusa and Hoplite Banners displays a snake and skeleton respectively, with Greek-style patterns.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1:
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Now requires unobstructed line of sight to petrify, preventing hidden or offscreen Medusa from petrifying players.
- Now makes sound and emits particles when attempting petrification.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()