|AI Type||Fighter AI|
|Damage||30 / 60|
|Max Life||400 / 800|
|KB Resist||85% / 87%|
|Debuff tooltip||You are completely petrified!|
Medusa is a Hardmode / pre-Hardmode enemy found near Marble Caves. While being a relatively fast-moving melee attacker, Medusa also has the ability to inflict the Stoned debuff through her gaze. This debuff turns the player to stone:
- The player will be unable to move or use weapons for the duration of the debuff, similar to being frozen.
- Fall-damage-negating accessories are disabled, fall damage is increased, and the minimum distance for fall damage is reduced.
The debuff's onset is marked by Medusa's snake hair (as well as Medusa herself) lashing out red tongues, as well as a unique noise and particle effect, giving players notice before they are petrified. Players can avoid getting stoned by facing the other direction when the animation completes, or by having the Medusa's line of sight blocked by solid blocks.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While Stoned, the player can still consume health items.
- If Stoned while grappling or riding a minecart, the player will disengage and fall.
- During the day on the surface layer, Medusa will become passive and despawn instantly once off screen.
- Only one Medusa can spawn in the world at a time, unless a Medusa Statue is used.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Being inflicted the Stoned debuff is very dangerous: If the initial fall does not kill the player, the few seconds of stun time could be long enough for Hoplites, Cave Bats, Giant Bats and other cavern enemies to finish the job.
- Note that attacking the Medusa with most weapons will cause the player to turn towards her. Try not to engage her until she is within range or use a very accurate ranged weapon, so that she will become stun-locked before she has a chance to attack.
- Facing away from Medusa while fighting off other enemies is recommended.
- Yoyos, the Magic Missile, and the Flying Knife make great weapons against Medusa as they can be used from behind, and around corners, out of her line of sight. White String will extend the reach of yoyos by 4 or 5 blocks.
- Ironically, the Medusa Head is also a great weapon against Medusa, as the player can use its "stare" while looking the other way.
- Using the Featherfall Potion can still protect the player from taking fall damage, even when they are Stoned.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In Greek mythology, Medusa was a monster, a Gorgon, generally described as a winged human female with living venomous snakes in place of hair. Those who gazed upon her face would turn to stone.
- The word "marble" is of Greek origin, as are "Medusa" and "hoplite". In Terraria, Medusas and Hoplites both spawn in Marble Caves.
- The banners of Medusa and Hoplite do not show the image of the enemy on their corresponding banners. The Medusa and Hoplite Banners display a snake and skeleton, respectively, with Greek-style patterns.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1:
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Now requires unobstructed line of sight to petrify, preventing hidden or offscreen Medusa from petrifying players.
- Now makes sound and emits particles when attempting petrification.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.1372.5:
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11: Introduced.