We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
|Knockback||2 (Very Weak)|
|Use time||19 (Very Fast)|
|Internal Item ID: 3269|
|Desktop-Only Content: This information applies only to the desktop version of Terraria.|
The Medusa Head is a chargeable Hardmode magic weapon that has a 1% chance to be dropped by Medusa, who is found in Marble Caves. This weapon can be charged for up to 3 seconds to deal additional damage, consuming 10 mana per second to a maximum cost of 30. A 1-second charge doubles the damage, while the full charge of 3 seconds triples the damage. When the full charge is achieved, the weapon will automatically discharge, hitting all enemies inside a circle with a radius of 50 blocks. It cannot pass through blocks.
Its best Modifier is Mythical.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While Medusa can be summoned pre-Hardmode by a Medusa Statue, it will never drop any items, including the Medusa Head.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Medusa's head is very powerful against enemies with multiple segments. As a full charge can deal over 100 damage to each individual segment, most worm enemies can instantly be killed. It can even deal lots of damage to The Destroyer.
- This item, plus a piercing weapon can easily take out a Wyvern, as the head damages each section of the enemy.
- Some Hardmode invasion events, such as the Pirate Invasion and Goblin Invasion, can be easily dealt with.
- The center point of the Medusa Head's effect is not the raised head, but rather the front of your torso, just below your face. As a result, enemies that appear to be targetable may not be affected. In addition, there appears to be an exactly 2 block minimum space requirement for the attack to "pass through" and hit a target, causing walls in narrow vertical tunnels to block attacks going straight up or down due to the start point being off center from the tunnel.
- Enemies near walls or slopes can sometimes be completely missed by this weapon's attack, even with no obstructing blocks between the player and the enemy. This seems to happen much more consistently on smaller enemies such as Green Slimes.
- Medusa's Head does not work in PvP.
- If the player gets a critical hit, the head will deal critical damage to all targets when used rather than damaging one.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Medusa's head originates from the Greek legend of Perseus, who was commanded by King Polydectes to kill Medusa and return with her head, and later on he used it to save Andromeda by turning Ketos into stone.
- When used, the snakes on Medusa's head will stick out their tongues, and her eyes will flash.
- When using a Medusa Head while riding a minecart on a slope, the head will appear to float.
History[edit | edit source]
- Damage increased from 28 to 45.
- Mana cost increased from 8 to 10.
- Is now a hardmode item.
- Is now able to get 'Mythical' modifier.
- 22.214.171.124: Introduced.