|Damage||45 / 28 Magic|
|Knockback||2 (Very Weak)|
|Mana||10 / 8|
|Use time||19 Very Fast|
- Internal Item ID: 3269
The Medusa Head is a Hardmode (on Desktop) magic weapon that has a 1% chance to be dropped by Medusas, which are found in Marble Caves. This weapon can be charged for up to 3 seconds to deal additional damage, consuming 10 mana per second to a maximum cost of 30. A 1-second charge doubles the damage, while the full charge of 3 seconds triples the damage. When the full charge is achieved, the weapon will automatically discharge, hitting all enemies inside a circle with a radius of 50 blocks. It cannot pass through blocks.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The center point of the Medusa Head's effect is not the raised head, but rather the front of the player's torso, just below their face. As a result, enemies that appear to be targetable may not be affected. In addition, there appears to be an exactly 2-block minimum space requirement for the attack to "pass through" and hit a target, causing walls in narrow vertical tunnels to block attacks going straight up or down due to the start point being off center from the tunnel.
- Enemies near walls or slopes can sometimes be completely missed by this weapon's attack, even with no obstructing blocks between the player and the enemy. This seems to happen much more consistently on smaller enemies such as Green Slimes.
- Medusa's Head does not target other players in PvP.
- If the player scores a critical hit, the head will deal critical damage to all hit targets.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Medusa Head is very powerful against enemies with multiple segments. As a full charge can deal over 100 damage to each individual segment, most worm enemies can instantly be killed. For instance, it can prove effective against Wyverns and The Destroyer.
- Due to the area-of-effect damage of the Medusa Head, it is useful against Hardmode events like the Pirate Invasion and Goblin Invasion.
- The Medusa Head may indicate a nearby unseen enemy's location through its streaks of light towards it.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Medusa Head originates from the Greek legend of Perseus, who was commanded by Polydectes to kill the Gorgon Medusa and return with her head. Later on, he used it to save Andromeda by turning the sea monster Cetus into stone.
- When used, Medusa and the snakes on her head will stick out their tongues, and her eyes will flash.
- When using a Medusa Head while riding a Minecart on a slope, the head will appear to float.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1:
- Damage increased from 28 to 45.
- Mana cost increased from 8 to 10.
- Is now a Hardmode item.
- Is now able to get 'Mythical' modifier.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()