As part of the Unified Community Platform project, your wiki will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Read more here.
|AI Type||Passive AI|
|Damage||121821 (Throwing Knife)|
- Internal NPC ID: 17
The Merchant is an NPC vendor that will spawn once the following conditions have been met:
- There is an empty House.
- All players in the game world have more than
5000*50 between them in their inventories.
He will also spawn as the starter NPC instead of the Guide when the world seed is "not the bees!" or "not the bees".
Note that only coins in the main inventory or coin slots are counted; savings stored in a portable storage item like the Piggy Bank do not count toward the requirement. If the Merchant is killed, he will only respawn if the above conditions are met again. This means all players need to have over
5000*50 in their combined inventories.
On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, the Merchant will lob Throwing Knives at nearby enemies to defend himself, dealing 12 / 18 / 21 damage at the start of the game, and (on the Desktop version) as players progress he will gain various stat increases.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
|Mining Helmet||Always available.|
|Piggy Bank||Always available.|
|Iron Anvil||Always available.|
|Bug Net||Always available.|
|Copper Pickaxe||Always available.|
|Copper Axe||Always available.|
|Lesser Healing Potion||Always available.|
|Lesser Mana Potion||Always available.|
|Wooden Arrow||Always available.|
|Marshmallow||When spoken to in a Snow biome.|
|Furnace||When spoken to in a Jungle.|
|Pin Wheel||During a Windy Day.|
|Throwing Knife||During a Blood Moon.|
|Any Pylon||When in a specific biome and is happy enough.|
|Safe||When Skeletron has been defeated.|
|Disco Ball||When the Wall of Flesh has been defeated.|
|Flare||When the player carries a Flare Gun in their inventory.|
|Blue Flare||When the player carries a Flare Gun in their inventory.|
|Sickle||Always available. |
|Gold Dust||When the Wall of Flesh has been defeated.|
|Drum Set||When at least one of the Eater of Worlds, Brain of Cthulhu, Skeletron, or Wall of Flesh has been defeated.|
|Drumstick||When at least one of the Eater of Worlds, Brain of Cthulhu, Skeletron, or Wall of Flesh has been defeated.|
|Nail||When the player possesses a Nail Gun.|
|Tax Collector's Hat||During Halloween.|
|Tax Collector's Suit||During Halloween.|
|Tax Collector's Pants||During Halloween.|
|Valentine Ring||During Valentine's Day.|
|Turkey feather||During Thanksgiving.|
|Heart Arrow||During Valentine's Day.|
|Festive top hat||During Christmas.|
Living preferences [edit | edit source]
For more information, see NPC happiness.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Merchant's quote "I feel like an evil presence is watching me." can be used to tell if the Eye of Cthulhu's natural spawn requirements are met.
Names[edit | edit source]
The Merchant may have any of the following names:
- Additional names have been added to the Xbox One version. Those names include Steve, Logan and Jason.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Interaction quotes[edit | edit source]
Beginning of night:
End of night:
When Eye of Cthulhu has not been defeated:
During a Party:
During a thunderstorm:
During a Windy Day:
When in a Graveyard:
Happiness quotes [edit | edit source]
When far from home:
When in a sparse area:
When in the Forest:
When in the Desert:
When near the Golfer:
When near the Nurse:
When near the Tax Collector:
When near the Angler:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Merchant's inability to pronounce "Cthulhu" during a Blood Moon is reference to the fact that the American author H. P. Lovecraft, Cthulhu's creator, intended for the name to be impossible to pronounce. However, the Merchant is able to pronounce the name correctly in another of his quotes ("I hope a scrawny kid like you isn't all that is standing between us and Cthulhu's Eye.")
- At the beginning of the night, the Merchant may say "Kosh, kapleck Mog. Oh sorry, that's klingon for 'Buy something or die.'", although Buy something or die is actually translated as
vay' Daje'be'chugh vaj bIHeghin the Klingon language. Kosh, kapleck Mog does not mean anything in Klingon.
- The Merchant is depicted in the paintings "The Merchant" and "Father of Someone".
- Because of being depicted in "Father of Someone", he seems to have an offspring.
- On rare occasions, the Merchant and the Clothier can share the names "Alfred" or "Edmund".
- The Merchant's quote "I hope a scrawny kid like you isn't all that is standing between us and Cthulhu's Eye." is also used by another NPC, the unspawnable Mc MoneyPants.
- The Merchant seems to be greedy, judging by various quotes, such as "Did you say gold? I'll take that off of ya."
- He makes several quotes referencing things he does not sell, such as armour and umbrellas. In addition, despite claiming they sell for a lot overseas, he gives no money for Dirt Blocks.
- His dialogue about buying 99 torches references how before the 1.4 update, Torches only stack to 99.
- While the Merchant likes the Golfer due to how much money he has, the Golfer does not like the Merchant due to his greedy behaviour.
- The Bestiary entry for the Merchant: "The Merchant acts as a simple general store of sorts, providing useful starter tools and supplies needed for exploration."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Now has NPC happiness and prefers to live in the Forest.
- Now sells any Pylon for
100000*10 when the criteria are met and he is in the correct biome.
- Now sells the Furnace when in the Jungle biome.
- Now sells the Pin Wheel during a Windy Day.
- Now sells the Drum Set and Drumstick.
- No longer sells the Tax Collector's set.
- Now has a chance to be named "Kristian".
- Removed "Finn" as a possible name.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Sprite updated.
- Now sells Nail and Tax Collector's set.
- Sickle price reduced from
10000*1 to 6000*60, and is now sold year-round.
- Mining Helmet price reduced from
80000*8 to 40000*4.
- Bug Net price reduced from
10000*1 to 2500*25.
- Shuriken price reduced from
20*20 to 15*15.
- Lesser Mana Potion price reduced from
200*2 to 100*1.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Fixed a typo in one of the Merchant’s first names (Isacc is now Isaac).
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Desktop 1.2.1: Can now sell the Sickle during Halloween. However, it is not sold properly, due to a bug.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Items can no longer be duplicated with the Merchant.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Desktop 1.1:
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Desktop 1.0.3: Like other NPCs, can now be killed by enemies.
- Console 1.09: No longer autobuy first item from a Merchant.
- Console 1.08: When shopping with a merchant you are now able to see your currency.
- Console 1.07: Desktop 22.214.171.124 content.
- Console 1.06: Desktop 1.2.3 content.
- Console 1.05: Now sells Disco Ball.
- Console 1.02:
- Desktop 126.96.36.199 content (see Desktop 1.2 - 188.8.131.52 above).
- You can no longer sell your gold to NPCs.
- Increased speed at which you can buy stacks of things.
- Console-Release: Introduced Desktop 1.1.2 content (see Desktop 1.0 - 1.1 above). Disco Ball is unobtainable.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Desktop 1.2.2 - 1.2.4
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Desktop 1.2 content.
- Introduced Desktop 1.1.2 content.
- Sells additional items, however the updates in which these items began to be sold is unknown.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.