- Internal NPC ID: 17
- This article is about the early game NPC unlocked by having 50 or more. For the NPC that occassionally visits temporarily with a random inventory, see Traveling Merchant. For the Underground skeleton-like NPC, see Skeleton Merchant.
The Merchant is an NPC vendor that will spawn once the following conditions have been met:
- There is an empty House.
- All players in the game world have more than 50 between them in their inventories.
Note that only coins in the main inventory or coin slots are counted; savings stored in a portable storage item like the Piggy Bank do not count toward the requirement. If the Merchant is killed, he will only respawn if the above conditions are met again. This means all players need to have over 50 in their combined inventories.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Merchant makes several quotes referencing things he does not sell. In addition, despite claiming they sell for a lot overseas, he gives no money for Dirt Blocks.
Names[edit | edit source]
The Merchant may have any of the following names:
- Additional names have been added to the Xbox One version. Those names include Steve, Logan and Jason.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Sword beats paper! Get one today."
- "You want apples? You want carrots? You want pineapples? We got torches."
- "Lovely morning, wouldn't you say? Was there something you needed?"
- "Check out my dirt blocks; they are extra dirty."
- "Boy, that sun is hot! I do have some perfectly ventilated armor."
- "The sun is high, but my prices are not."
- "Night will be upon us soon, friend. Make your choices while you can."
- "You have no idea how much Dirt Blocks sell for overseas."
- "Ah, they will tell tales of [Name of Player] some day... good ones I'm sure."
Beginning of night:
- "Kosh, kapleck Mog. Oh sorry, that's klingon for 'Buy something or die.'"
- "[Name of Player] is it? I've heard good things, friend!"
- "The last guy who was here left me some junk... er I mean... treasures!"
- "I wonder if the moon is made of cheese...huh, what? Oh yes, buy something!"
- "Did you say gold? I'll take that off of ya."
End of night:
- "I hear there's a secret treasure... oh never mind."
- "Angel Statue you say? I'm sorry, I'm not a junk dealer."
- "Have you seen Chith...Shith.. Chat... The big eye?"
- "Hey, this house is secure, right? Right? [Name of Player]?"
- "Not even a blood moon can stop capitalism. Let's do some business."
- "Keep your eye on the prize, buy a lense!" [sic]
- When Nurse and Mechanic are present:
When Eye of Cthulhu has not been defeated:
- "I hope a scrawny kid like you isn't all that is standing between us and Cthulhu's Eye."
- "Look at that shoddy armor you're wearing. Better buy some more healing potions."
- "I feel like an evil presence is watching me." (When the natural requirements for Eye of Cthulhu to spawn are acquired.)
During a Party:
- "You know what would be the best way to party? Buying things for others, specifically from me."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Merchant's inability to pronounce "Cthulhu" during a Blood Moon is reference to the fact that the American author H. P. Lovecraft, Cthulhu's creator, intended for the name to be impossible to pronounce. However, the Merchant is able to pronounce the name correctly in another of his quotes ("I hope a scrawny kid like you isn't all that is standing between us and Cthulhu's Eye.")
- At the beginning of the night, the Merchant may say "Kosh, kapleck Mog. Oh sorry, that's klingon for 'Buy something or die.'", although Buy something or die is actually translated as
vay' Daje'be'chugh vaj bIHeghin the Klingon language. Kosh, kapleck Mog means absolutely nothing in Klingon.
- The Merchant is depicted in the paintings The Merchant and Father of Someone.
- On rare occasions, the Merchant and the Clothier can share the names "Alfred" or "Edmund".
- The Merchant's quote "I hope a scrawny kid like you isn't all that is standing between us and Cthulhu's Eye." is also used by another NPC, the unspawnable Mc MoneyPants.
- The Merchant seems to be greedy, judging by various quotes, such as "Did you say gold? I'll take that off of ya."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Fixed a typo in one of the Merchant’s first names (Isacc is now Isaac).
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Items can no longer be duplicated with the Merchant.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Desktop 1.1:
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Console 1.09: No longer autobuy first item from a Merchant.
- Console 1.08: When shopping with a merchant you are now able to see your currency.
- Console 1.07: Desktop 188.8.131.52 content.
- Console 1.06: Desktop 1.2.3 content.
- Console 1.05: Now sells Disco Ball.
- Console 1.02:
- Desktop 184.108.40.206 content (see Desktop 1.2 - 220.127.116.11 above).
- You can no longer sell your gold to NPCs.
- Increased speed at which you can buy stacks of things.
- Console-Release: Introduced Desktop 1.1.2 content (see Desktop 1.0 - 1.1 above). Disco Ball is unobtainable.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Desktop 1.2.2 - 1.2.4
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Desktop 1.2 content.
- Mobile 1.1.8 Valentine Update: Now sells Heart Arrows and Valentine Ring during Valentine's Day season.
- Introduced Desktop 1.1.2 content.
- Sells additional items, however the updates in which these items began to be sold is unknown.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.