|Type||Accessory • Crafting material|
|Tooltip||Displays the most valuable ore around you|
- Internal Item ID: 3102
The Metal Detector is an informational accessory which informs the player about valuable objects, such as ores, chests, or Life Crystals, in their vicinity. It has a 50% (100%) chance to be dropped by the Nymph, a rare cavern enemy.
The Metal Detector displays the specific type of what was detected, for instance, "Chlorophyte detected nearby!" When multiple valuables are detected, only the one with the highest value is noted. Like most informational accessories, it does not reveal the location or direction of the detected object.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Object value[edit | edit source]
Only the following tiles are detected. The name of the most valuable tile present will be shown by the Metal Detector.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Unlike most accessories, informational accessories such as the Metal Detector do not need to be equipped in an accessory slot. The Metal Detector may be carried in the player's inventory without loss of functionality, unless equipped to a social slot. Additionally, the info it provides will be shared with nearby players of the same team in multiplayer. Keep in mind modifiers will no longer apply to the player when not equipped, however.
- It has a detection radius of about 50 blocks horizontally and vertically, with distance being calculated from the player’s feet.
- Both vertical and horizontal distance are calculated independently.
- Even though it is the most powerful ore in Pre-Hardmode, Hellstone will not be detected.
- It does not display the specific type of chest that was detected.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Spelunker Potion or Magic Lantern pair well with the Metal Detector, as they will also reveal the item location.
- Additionally, they reveal items the Metal Detector cannot detect, such as gems, and display lower-tier ores when a higher tier is masking their detection by the Metal Detector.
- Since Crystal Hearts and Life Fruit are prioritized over ores, it may be preferable to continue collecting them even if they are no longer needed. This prevents them from blocking the display of other valuable objects.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Though they are all detected by the Metal Detector, Life Fruit, Sturdy Fossils, and pots are not metallic.
- Despite the tooltip, it also detects objects other than ores.
- For unknown reasons, it does not always detect Water Chests, even when standing directly in front of one.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 184.108.40.206: Introduced.