Meteor Heads are flying enemies that only spawn in a Meteorite biome. They override all other enemy spawns in the biome, except when the Meteorite biome is within the Ocean. Once only 74 / 49 / 22 blocks of Meteorite remain, the area is no longer considered a Meteorite biome. Therefore, Meteor Heads will then no longer spawn.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Meteor Heads have a very small chance of dropping one Meteorite, making Meteorite a renewable resource. However, after two or three landings players should be able to craft everything they can out of it.
- In Hardmode, Meteor Heads no longer drop loot.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If a player obtains the Meteor Head Banner by killing Meteor Heads, they can hang it within 50 tiles from where they are mining Meteorite. The banner grants players +50% / +100% damage inflicted with all weapons and -25% / -50% damage taken from melee attacks against Meteor Heads.
- One way of defeating Meteor Heads is to defend oneself by using a pickaxe. While mining, the player can hit the Meteor Heads as they are flying towards them, as long as they are approaching from one direction. Suggested items are a Cobalt Shield to negate knockback and an Obsidian Skull to prevent damage from the Meteorite itself. With the Tinkerer's Workshop, a player can combine the two into an Obsidian Shield, providing both benefits and using only one accessory slot. Alternatively, any sort of Grappling Hook can be used to hold the player in place.
- Because Meteor Heads move at a slow speed, the player can alternate between mining the Meteorite and killing all Meteor Heads on the screen, giving them time for another round of mining.
- Weapons that are capable of hitting through blocks are highly recommended for fighting Meteor Heads. The Vilethorn is an exceptionally effective choice, dealing damage multiple times per use, but spears like the Dark Lance work well, too. High-damage weapons like the Night's Edge and the Musket can destroy Meteor Heads in a single hit. Minions or the Crimson Rod can often deal with Meteor Heads on their own.
- In multiplayer, the tasks of mining and fending off the Meteor Heads can be split between the players.
- Because of the conditions of an area to be considered a Meteorite biome, a player can place 75 / 50 / 23 or more Meteorite wherever they like to disable the normal spawns of that area and spawn Meteor Heads instead.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- They are one of the only enemies, along with the small Bee and Servant of Cthulhu, to deal more base damage than their own maximum life.
- The Bestiary entry for the Meteor Head: "When meteorites strike the surface, their fragments lay scattered for the taking. Some pieces are alive, and will attack."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Expert mode health reduced to 52, Master mode health set at 78. Now requires 75 Meteorite to spawn.
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2.3: No longer drops loot once in Hardmode.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Can now drop its own respective banner.
- Desktop 1.0.6: Meteor Heads may inflict the On Fire! debuff.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Doesn't make a splash sound when hitting water now.
- Health decreased from 50 to 26, defense decreased from 10 to 6, damage increased from 25 to 40.
- Speed reduced.
- They now always face their target player, rather than facing the direction they are moving.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.