|Knockback||0 (No knockback)|
|Use time||8 (Insanely fast)|
|Tooltip||33% chance to not consume ammo|
'Half shark, half gun, completely awesome.'
- Internal Item ID: 98
The Minishark is a gun that can be bought from the Arms Dealer for 35 and can use any form of bullet. It is capable of autofiring and each shot has a
33.33*1/3 (33.33%) chance of not consuming any ammunition. It has the lowest use time of all pre-Hardmode ranged weapons.
Its best modifier is Demonic, as it does does not have any knockback and thus cannot get modifiers that affect it. It can also get the Deadly modifier, which, while the Demonic modifier may provide the greatest damage per hit, grants a higher increase to the overall DPS.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Completely Awesome achievement can be unlocked for free by buying a Minishark and then reselling it without closing the shop window.
- The Minishark deals small amounts of damage at a rapid rate. Against enemies with higher defense, its damage is reduced to one per hit, causing a significant decrease in overall damage output. As most Hardmode enemies have enough defense to negate its damage completely and have significantly more health than basic enemies, it becomes functionally useless beyond this point and is replaced by its upgrade, the Megashark.
- Even with the 33.3% chance not to consume ammo, the Minishark can still use an entire stack of bullets very quickly, especially with modifiers that decrease its use time. However, the ammo-conserving effect of the Minishark can be increased substantially by adding certain gear, e.g. the following:
Gear Chance not to consume ammo Avg. yield of
Avg. ammo consumption rate
Individual Total n/a (base weapon) 33.33*1/3 (33.33%) 1498.5 shots 1 every 0.2 seconds(12 ticks) Necro armor( ) or Fossil armor 20*1/5 (20%) 46.67*7/15 (46.67%) 1873.1 shots 1 every 0.25 seconds(15 ticks) Ammo Box 20*1/5 (20%) 57.33*43/75 (57.33%) 2341.4 shots 1 every 0.313 seconds(18.75 ticks)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The fictional hand-held Minigun has been popularized in video games and films since the 1980s. In practice, a man-portable M134 minigun would be nearly impossible to manage as an individual infantry weapon, and highly impractical for a human being to either carry or operate.
- The Minishark's color and design is similar to that of the Machine Gun from the 1999 multiplayer-focused first-person shooter Quake III Arena. They are also both automatic guns with multiple barrels and low damage per bullet.
- The Clockwork Assault Rifle, Star Cannon, Flintlock Pistol, and the Minishark are some of the only guns without knockback.
- The Minishark is the first of several rapid-firing guns that were named and designed based on a water creature, the others being the Gatligator, Megashark, and S.D.M.G..
- The Arms Dealer mentions, "I see you're eyeballin' the Minishark. You really don't want to know how it was made." This suggests that the Minishark is just a carved out shark that is metalized.
- Terraria features a lot of gore and mature concepts, such as the mechanized bosses that are really just the original bosses but with added machinery to make them stronger. This shows that the Minishark could just be a carved out shark that is plated with metal.
- This also is further evidenced by the Minishark needing 5 extra shark fins to make a Megashark.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.2: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.0.6: Added 33% chance not to consume ammo.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Damage increased from 5 to 6.
- Price lowered from 50 to 40.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- A tick is a time unit countable by the software. Most of Terraria's updating logic happens every tick. A tick has the length of 1/60th of a second, hence there are 60 ticks in a second and 3600 ticks in a minute.