Animation of the Molten Pickaxe.
The Molten Pickaxe is the second best Pre-Hardmode pickaxe and one of the only two Pre-Hardmode tools capable of mining Hardmode ores, the other being the Reaver Shark, thus being a very essential tool. It has the convenient side benefit of emitting light, making it potentially useful even after obtaining a hardmode Drill or Pickaxe.
The Molten Pickaxe can destroy most blocks in one hit. However, its mining speed is very slow, making it slower than Tungsten Pickaxe and above at mining the weakest block types. It is faster than most Pre-Hardmode pickaxes when mining stones, excluding the Bone Pickaxe and Reaver Shark. This stays true for harder blocks, such as Ebonstone and Crimstone. See the chart below for more details.
If it is used as a weapon, it has a 10% chance of inflicting the On Fire! debuff.
Its best Modifier is Light for harvesting purposes, and Legendary for combat purposes.
|| Miner for Fire • "Craft a molten pickaxe using the hottest of materials."
| Craft a molten pickaxe.
- Desktop 1.2: Hellstone Bar requirement reduced from 35 to 20.
- Console 1.0.750.0: ()
- Now awards an achievement when the player crafts a Molten Pickaxe.
- Decreased use time from 24 to 22.
- Console 1.02: Hellstone Bar requirement reduced from 35 to 20.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced with mechanics from Desktop 1.2.