The Money Trough is a summoning item that temporarily summons a flying pet-like version of the Piggy Bank. It has a
0.5*1/200 (0.5%) / 1*1/100 (1%) chance to drop from the Drippler and the Blood Zombie during a Blood Moon, or with a much lower ( 0.03*1/4000 (0.03%) / 0.05*1/2000 (0.05%)) chance from their statue-spawned versions (regardless of whether a Blood Moon is occurring). It also has a 6.67*1/15 (6.67%) chance of dropping from the Zombie Merman and Wandering Eye Fish, which can be fished up during a Blood Moon.
The Money Trough enables players to access their Piggy Bank contents without having to place the Piggy Bank or any furniture for it to rest on. The floating Piggy Bank despawns after 3 minutes, but can be re-summoned repeatedly at no cost. The Flying Piggy Bank does not follow the player like pets or minions would, instead it hovers stationarily at the point summoned. Once summoned, other players may use it as well to access their own Piggy Bank.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Money Trough is not a pet and cannot be placed into the pet equipment slot.
- If the Money Trough is placed into the Flying Piggy Bank, once it despawns it will only be accessible after removing from an actual Piggy Bank or another Money Trough.
- Marking the Money Trough as favorite will prevent it from being placed into the Flying Piggy Bank.
- The Money Trough will always be facing the player, except while it is moving when spawned.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- It can be used to store situational, less-used items, e.g. hammers, potions, fishing equipment, or alternate armor or weapons, which would otherwise clog up inventory space.
- It is a useful item for Expert Mode players, who lose 75% of their coins upon death, and Master Mode players, who lose 100% of their coins, rather than 50%, due to its ability to allow a player to deposit their coins at will, regardless of their location.
- The Money Trough is a useful item through the whole game, and can be obtained early. With some preparation, it can be obtained after a single Blood Moon.
- It may be worthwhile to hold off on defeating the Wall of Flesh until after acquiring a Money Trough, as Hardmode Blood Moons have a much higher variety of enemies, making it an even rarer drop.
- When buying from a vendor NPC, the coins stored in the Piggy Bank via the Money Trough will be used if there is not enough in the inventory.
- An easier/faster way to get the Money Trough is by placing a Water Candle or consuming the Battle Potion because the Blood Moon and Solar Eclipse do not have a set spawn rate.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Flying Piggy Bank is an allusion to the phrase when pigs fly, a figure of speech used to humorously describe something that is thought to be impossible or will never happen.
- When spawning or despawning the Flying Piggy Bank, it emits an oink, sometimes with slightly differing pitches.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Can now be dropped by Wandering Eye Fish and Zombie Mermen.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Fixed a bug where if the player used the Flying Piggy Bank, the "Quick stack to nearby chests" button would disappear.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11: Introduced.