|AI Type||Moon Lord AI|
|Damage||(Varies per attack)|
|Max Life||145000/217500/277311 (total)|
|Defense||(Varies per part)|
|Debuff tooltip||You are unable to absorb healing effects|
|Duration||14 seconds/16 seconds|
- Internal Buff ID: 145
“The mastermind behind all terrors which befall the world, freed from his lunar prison. Practically a god, his power knows no limits.
— The Bestiary
"Impending doom approaches..."
The Moon Lord can be spawned by destroying the four Celestial Pillars or by using a Celestial Sigil in any world where Golem has been defeated. In both cases, he will then spawn one minute after the message "Impending doom approaches..." appears.
While the Moon Lord is alive, his exclusive music Moon Lord will play.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The Moon Lord has two hands and a head that must be killed before his core becomes available for attack. He positions his two hands on either side of the player some distance away.
Each hand, as well as his head, contain a vulnerable eye-like target that is each periodically closed off and opened via an eyelid. These may only be damaged during their "open" states. The core, which is the only part required to be destroyed in order to defeat the boss, only becomes vulnerable when all eye sockets are destroyed.
Moon Lord can teleport to players if all of them get too far out of range.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
- The Moon Lord's hands move away from the core and their eyes spawn several Phantasmal Spheres. After a couple seconds, they explode, dealing heavy damage. If the player is far enough away, they simultaneously charge the player before exploding, though they cannot travel at an angle higher than approximately 30 degrees in any direction.
- The hand eyes also spawn multiple Phantasmal Eyes, which move in all directions for a short while before homing in on the player. Like the Phantasmal Spheres, they cannot travel at an upward angle, so they can be evaded by swerving upwards. If they cannot get a direct lock and a player is in range then they will attempt to match the target's trajectory to stay in their path. They explode upon contact with a block or player.
- The hand eyes also occasionally fire two Phantasmal Bolts in quick succession, which pass through blocks and lead the player, requiring swerves to avoid.
- When attached to the Moon Lord's head, the head eye periodically opens for a few seconds, and then fires a Phantasmal Deathray: a large laser that sweeps upward over the player. This is by far Moon Lord's most damaging attack. Afterward, the head eye blinks a couple times, and fires two Phantasmal Bolts (similarly to those of the hands), and then closes. As of 22.214.171.124, the deathray can pass through solid blocks that block it from the player.
- The mouth periodically attempts to attach a Tentacle to the player. The Tentacle can reach through solid blocks. Once attached, it spawns multiple Moon Leech Clots, which are enemies that travel from the player to Moon Lord's mouth. Any Moon Leech Clot that reaches the mouth without being killed returns 1000 health to one of Moon Lord's parts (one that has not yet been defeated).
- The Tentacle also inflicts the Moon Bite debuff, preventing any life-steal effects from weapons/armor like Vampire Knives or Spectre Armor for 14 seconds (16 seconds in Expert Mode).
- When a hand or head target is defeated, it becomes a thorny crevice that deals damage on contact.
- Additionally, when a head or hand target is defeated, a True Eye of Cthulhu spawns, which cycles through four different attacks:
- The eye spawns Phantasmal Eyes, which behave similarly to when before the eyes were defeated.
- The eye spawns six Phantasmal Spheres in a hexagonal formation around itself, which after a few seconds will charge directly at the player, dealing a significant amount of damage to the player. This is by far the dominant source of damage in the second phase and should be avoided by swerving/dashing.
- The eye fires two Phantasmal Bolts at the player, similar to those from the hand eyes
- Finally, the eye charges and fires a lesser Phantasmal Deathray, smaller and dealing significantly less damage. This cannot pass through solid blocks.
- The eye dances outward in a spiral, dealing a small amount of damage upon impact.
- The True Eyes of Cthulhu is invincible and will only despawn if either all players or Moon Lord is defeated. Also, the eye tends to remain stationary for most of its attacks.
- He can teleport and attack players with all his attacks when another player dies in a group of two or attack the last player in a group of three.
Parts[edit | edit source]
|AI Type||Moon Lord Hand AI|
80 (Melee (eye socket))
100/200/300 (Phantasmal Sphere)
60/120/180 (Phantasmal Eye)
60/120/180 (Phantasmal Bolt) 
- Internal NPC ID: 397
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Moon Lord can be summoned with a Celestial Sigil before defeating the Lunatic Cultist in any world where Golem has been defeated.
- Some of Moon Lord's attacks can be avoided using the 200 NPC limit, e.g. the True Eyes of Cthulhu will not spawn when there are 200 other NPCs present in the world.
- If the player leaves the world after the message "Impending doom approaches...", the Moon Lord will not spawn.
- This could be useful for players who aren't ready to fight the Moon Lord yet and/or if they don't have enough Lunar Fragments to use.
- If the player escapes from the Moon Lord, he will teleport to the player. Teleporting home to get healing from the Nurse might result in her death.
- Every NPC takes reduced damage from the Moon Lord, especially the Nurse. They only take 20-35/40-60 damage for other NPCs and 10-30/25-45 for the Nurse, and for all of them 100-130/125-180 for the Phantasmal Deathray attack. However, this changes in Moon Lord's second form, as the True Eye of Cthulhu deal around 45-85/60-105.
- In Multiplayer, Moon Lord will attack the nearest player. Players can take turns teleporting home to get healing from the Nurse.
- While the Moon Lord is on screen, the sky will turn dark and the world will appear hazy and shadowy with blur effects. In Multiplayer, this only happens if the player is within 130 blocks of the Moon Lord.
- In Expert Mode, the Treasure Bag will not drop a Portal Gun if the player opening it already has a Portal Gun in their inventory. However, he will always drop it in normal mode.
- If Moon Lord uses Phantasmal Deathray, it will still be used if his head is defeated until finished.
- If all players die during the Moon Lord's death animation, he will despawn and drop nothing.
- His eye sockets still deal contact damage during that period. It is wise to move away from the boss once he is defeated.
- The Celebration Mk2 replaces the normal Celebration on the Desktop version.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- In Journey Mode, fighting the Moon Lord in a low difficulty then changing the difficulty at the exploding animation will still give you the new difficulty reward
- With the Gravitation Potion, you can move fast enough vertically to avoid most of his attacks, but it might be difficult to aim without homing weapons.
- You can also use it to dodge the Phantasmal Deathray.
- Hiding under a row of blocks while using a weapon that can attack through blocks, such as the Solar Eruption, can nullify the Moon Lord's Phantasmal Deathray. Two rows of blocks can be quite effective. The player should make sure that the barrier has horizontal running room, in order to make space to dodge the Phantasmal Spheres.
- The Moon Lord is vulnerable to Ichor and Betsy's Curse, which can dramatically speed up the fight. However, since Eyes remove all debuffs when they close, the player will have to reapply debuffs accordingly.
- The Moon Bite debuff, which prevents life-steal abilities, is reliant on a tentacle making contact with the player. It is possible to move outside of its maximum range, avoiding the debuff and allowing effects to once again heal the player. However, hitting him becomes harder this way.
- It is advisable to kill the eye on the head first. It is the only eye capable of firing the Phantasmal Deathray and remains closed for significantly longer than the eyes in the hands. If the player waits to kill the head last, they may have to deal with two True Eye of Cthulhus for a longer amount of time.
- Since the hands will start dealing melee damage after they are defeated, running away on an asphalt skybridge will become an issue if the player is not properly prepared to dodge the hands.
- The frequently-applied Moon Bite debuff disables the healing effects of Vampire Knives and the Spectre Hood, making it not recommended to use them. If the player chooses to do so regardless, they can keep an eye on the debuff's timer and switch to healing quickly when it runs out.
- You can use a Minecart Track skybridge going across your world to help avoid attacks. Moon Lord will still try teleporting to you, but his attacks cannot catch up. The Mechanical Cart is the fastest way to move along the tracks.
- Owning a Rod of Discord can be greatly helpful, as it can be used to easily evade Phantasmal Death Rays. Be cautious, however, using the rod with Chaos State can kill or greatly damage the player.
- The Cosmic Car Key, Witch's Broom, or The Black Spot mounts can provide a huge advantage, as they make avoiding his attacks easier than on the ground and also travel slightly faster than the Moon Lord.
- It is a good idea to use Chlorophyte Bullets or other homing weapons, as it allows the player to focus on dodging without needing to aim.
- The Cute Fishron is capable of outrunning the Moon Lord with its speed bonus (the player must be under half health or have recently touched a liquid). Keep in mind that going too far from the Moon Lord will cause him to instantly teleport to the player's location.
- The Phantasmal Deathray can be dodged more easily when using a set of wings with high ascent speed such as Fishron Wings or Empress Wings, as well as an item that enables dashing such as the Tabi.
- This can be further amplified with the Soaring Insignia, which gives infinite flight time.
- The Moon Lord's attacks bypass typical invincibility frames, requiring special setups to bypass its attacks.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Despite a mid-development comment by Cenx that this would not be the case, Moon Lord resembles common depictions of Cthulhu, a creature first imagined by H. P. Lovecraft in his story, The Call of Cthulhu. Fans commonly speculated prior to the release of 1.3 that Cthulhu would be the final Terraria boss (which in turn arose partly due to an early concept design floated by the development team).
- Terraria's final boss was originally going to be the Moon itself descending on the world, but Cenx later stated that this idea had been scrapped.
- Due to the colors of the boss and the names of a few of his projectiles, this boss may have been designed from the Vortex Pillar.
- Despite being the final boss, Moon Lord has the lowest amount of debuff immunities, being immune only to Confused.
- – According to the official game lore, though it was initially theorized (and joked by staff) that Moon Lord was Cthulhu's brother, it appears that it is Cthulhu itself, or at least, a similar entity within the lore of Terraria. This entity was detrimental to existence, and was finally banished by the Druids, an ancient race of whom the Dryad NPC is the only survivor, ripped out its organs and banished it to the moon. It further appears that the Celestial Events and its eventual battle are its final attempt at total conquest, as stated directly.
- Redigit has stated on the Terraria Discord Server that the Celestial Pillars and Cultists were trying to protect the world from Moon Lord and stop the player from reaching him. It is unknown whether this is official lore or a joke.
- NPCs cannot attack the Moon Lord.
- According to Cenx, spriting the Moon Lord took over a month.
- Red has stated that, if 10,000 signatures and 15 dollars are gathered, he would make the lower half of the Moon Lord a boss. However, the validity of this statement is questionable as both criteria have since been met.
- The Moon Lord seems to share some mechanics of two bosses in pre-Hardmode including Skeletron, having multiple parts that each are destroyable, and the Brain of Cthulhu, requiring you to defeat separate parts before truly damaging the boss.
- Upon defeating one of the 3 "eyes" of the Moon Lord, when the cursor is located on the eye, a name displays directly above it which reads "True Eye of Cthulhu" which lead many to theorize that the pre-hardmode boss Eye of Cthulhu is a fake or a replica. Given the official lore's statement that Cthulhu's eyes were ripped out by the Dryads, it would seem that these are "truer" only in having just emerged, and that the earlier boss was at one point Cthulhu's eye, but had been ripped out long ago.
- The Moon Lord is one of 5 bosses with exclusive music, the others being the Queen Slime, Empress of Light, Plantera, and Duke Fishron.
- He is the only boss that drops 3 Expert-mode exclusive items in his Treasure Bag.
- While fighting the Moon Lord, an eye appears on RGB-enabled keyboards.
- The Moon Lord drops the most coins of any boss, and overall any enemy, in the game.
- According to a post by Redigit on the Terraria Discord Server, the Moon Lord is the father to the Guide NPC, it is unknown whether this is to be considered official lore.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Slightly increased the amount of time his forehead eye remains open.
- Moon Lord's Phantasmal Death Ray will now penetrate blocks that are between it and the player.
- Enemies should no longer spawn during Moon Lord's fight, unless they spawn outside of his radius in multiplayer.
- Moon Lord will no longer drop Celebration. It will instead drop Celebration Mk2. Celebration is now sold from the Party Girl after Golem is defeated.
- Moon Lord will now drop Super Healing Potions instead of Greater Healing Potions.
- Moon Lord will now drop his loot even if you die during his death animation.
- Moon Lord now can drop Coins in Expert Mode
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Attacks now follow their own immunity cooldown.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- The Moon Lord will now teleport to the player once they are far enough away.
- Body parts now properly show display names.
- Cultists now cannot respawn while Moon Lord is alive or spawning
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- The Moon Lord's leeching effect has been massively buffed.
- Added the Moon Bite debuff, which prevents any healing from weapons.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: The death message now properly displays "Moon Lord has been defeated!", instead of "Moon Lord Core has been defeated!".
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced with changes up to Desktop 126.96.36.199. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced with changes up to Desktop 188.8.131.52. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced with changes up to Desktop 184.108.40.206.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11: Introduced with changes up to Desktop 18.104.22.168.
References[edit | edit source]
- Information taken from the Desktop 22.214.171.124 source code, method
- Information taken from the Desktop 126.96.36.199 source code, method
aiStyle == 78
- Information taken from the Desktop 188.8.131.52 source code, method
aiStyle == 79
- Redigit's message in #journeys-end-chat on the official Terraria discord server
- Cenx' message in #terraria-chat-1 on the official Terraria discord server Apr 5, 2019