The Moon in Terraria moves through a cycle of eight different phases, with the next consecutive phase appearing each night. The current moon phase is indicated by the amount of it that is visible each night. The phase of the moon affects which items certain NPCs sell, as well as certain enemy spawn rates. The first night of a newly created world is always a full moon. Each moon phase starts at 4:30 AM game time the day before the night when that moon will appear, so NPCs that only sell items in a certain moon phase will start selling those items the day before.
It takes only eight in-game nights for the Moon to move through all of its phases. The different phases include the full moon, where the entire circular moon is visible; and four nights later, the new moon, where no moon is visible. Another four nights later, the full moon returns.
Because of how time works in Terraria, nights last 9 real-life minutes, from 7:30 PM game time to 4:30 AM game time.
Phase-dependent[edit | edit source]
The following table details items and occurrences that depend on particular moon phases.
- *Available the day after the stated Moon Phase
- **Requires Angler
- ***Shirt and pants only
Notes[edit | edit source]
- There are three different styles of the moon, normal, mars-like, and with rings. When a world is generated, one permanent, random moon style is assigned to it.
- If you don't have a Sextant, you can determine which quarter the moon is in by seeing which paintings the Painter has for sale.
- If there is a Frost Moon or a Pumpkin Moon when it is not a full moon, the sprite on the moon will appear in its proper phase, but with the sprite cut to match the size.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Added Skeleton Merchant and White Tuxedo set.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Fixed bug where spawn rates would increase underground when a moon event is happening.
- Desktop 1.2: Changed the appearance of the moon, added two extra appearances. All three are chosen at random for a new world.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.