|Knockback||11 (Extremely strong)|
|Use time||45 (Very slow)|
|Tooltip||5 summon tag damage|
5% summon tag critical strike chance
Your summons will focus struck enemies
- Morning Star
Like other whips, it causes minions to focus on the last-struck enemy, increasing their damage and critical hit chance against it. It also gives off blue particles when swung, which generate very faint light.
Its best modifier is Legendary, despite it being a summon weapon.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Morning Star and Kaleidoscope have the unique ability to grant Minions the ability to deal critical hits. Though the boost is relatively low, it is nevertheless a noticeable increase in damage, especially with a large number of minions.
- It is the only whip in the game with a base Use Time different from 30. Additionally, it has the highest knockback of all whips, the lowest damage penalty per hit, and is tied with the Kaleidoscope for the highest base damage.
- The Dark Harvest's increased swing speed on hit allows it to put out around the same DPS as the Morning Star; with specialized melee builds (such as equipping melee speed-boosting accessories), the Dark Harvest can potentially surpass it in DPS so long as hits are dealt. However, the Morning Star surpasses it in terms of improving minion damage against a single target due to its summon tag damage bonus and crit boost.
- The Kaleidoscope is an indirect upgrade to this whip, having exactly the same base damage, but double the tag damage and crit chance.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Morning Star can be farmed right after Plantera is defeated, making it an early upgrade to pre-Plantera whips.
- Even though it has a slow swing speed, the Morning Star makes up for this with its very high base damage.
- Switching between the Morning Star and a Durendal or Dark Harvest to activate their buff can improve the Morning Star's low swing speed, as well as stacking the special tag effects on a single target.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The whip’s name and look may be a reference to the Morning Star whip from the Castlevania series.
- That whip is itself inspired by an actual medieval weapon, the morning star. This weapon does not resemble a whip. Instead, it is a club-like weapon consisting of a ball attached to a shaft and adorned with a varying number of spikes. However, the Morning Star from Castlevania (and, by extension, Terraria,) is technically a type of military flail, even though Terraria does not consider it a flail ingame.
- The interior of the whip seems to be made of enchanted cobalt, similar to other weapons in the Dungeon (like the Muramasa and Blue Moon). This is visible when it is extended, and also in the cross-shaped particles it leaves, identical to those made by Muramasa.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.4.1:
- Range increased.
- Damage penalty for each additional target hit per swing reduced from 25% to 5%.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11.0: Introduced.