Wiki reading hard on the eyes? Try out our Dark Theme! Visit the preferences page while logged in and select Hydra Dark.
|Knockback||11 (Extremely strong)|
|Use time||45 (Very slow)|
|Tooltip||5 summon tag damage|
5% summon tag critical strike chance
Your summons will focus struck enemies
- Morning Star
Its best modifier is either Sluggish for maximum range, Bulky for a mix between damage and range, or Legendary for maximum damage output at the cost of range.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Morning Star is the slowest whip in the game, and is the only whip with a use time of 45, while all other whips have a use time of 30.
- The Morning Star and Kaleidoscope have the unique ability to grant Minions the ability to deal critical hits. Though the boost is relatively low, it is nevertheless a noticeable increase in damage, especially with a large number of minions.
- The Morning Star has the highest knockback of all whips.
- Despite it possessing the highest base damage of any existing whip, it is technically not the strongest whip in the game in terms of damage per second. Several whips are capable of competing with/surpassing it:
- The Dark Harvest's increased swing speed on hit allows it to put out around the same DPS as the Morning Star; with specialized melee builds (such as equipping melee speed-boosting accessories), the Dark Harvest can potentially surpass it in DPS so long as hits are dealt. However, the Morning Star surpasses it in terms of improving minion damage due to its summon tag damage bonus and crit boost.
- The Kaleidoscope has overall better stats despite having slightly lower base damage, making it an indirect upgrade to the Morning Star even in regards to minion damage.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Morning Star can be farmed right after Plantera is defeated. It provides a substantial boost to DPS over pre-Plantera whips and, should the player decide not to fight the Empress of Light, can be considered the endgame whip.
- Even with its slow swing speed, the Morning Star's range is slightly inferior to faster whips such as the Durendal. Along with its sluggishness, this can make it difficult to tag mobile enemies compared to other whips, though it makes up for this with sheer damage.
- Switching between the Morning Star and a Durendal or Dark Harvest to activate their buff can improve the Morning Star's low swing speed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The whip’s name and look may be a reference to the Morning Star whip from the Castlevania series.
- That whip is itself inspired by an actual medieval weapon, the morning star. This weapon does not resemble a whip. Instead, it is a club-like weapon consisting of a ball attached to a shaft and adorned with a varying number of spikes.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Introduced.