|Damage||19 / 18 (Melee)|
|Knockback||2.5 (Very Weak)|
|Use time||17 (Very Fast)|
|Internal Item ID: 155|
The Muramasa is a glowing blue Broadsword that is only found in the Dungeon's Gold Chests (or the Dungeon Crate's Golden Lock Box). It is one of the few pre-Hardmode melee weapons that has autoswing. The Muramasa has a slightly longer reach than the Phaseblade, and deals 19 damage along with a fast attack speed. It emits a decent amount of light when swung. This weapon is useful early on when dealing with large groups of enemies due to its autoswing.
Its best Modifier is Legendary.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- It may not be the most powerful of weapons, but can be effective while running for killing Slimes, knocking back flying enemies, clearing Thorny Bushes, cutting away weeds and harvesting Plants.
- As the Muramasa is already a very quick weapon, a good tactic is to equip a full set of Shadow armor and some Feral Claws with Bowl of Soup to give it an incredibly fast swipe speed, allowing you to cut through virtually any non hardmode enemy with ease.
- It swings even faster than the Night’s Edge, but its relatively poor knockback makes it a poor choice against most enemies if not backed up by melee speed enhancements. Some may opt to keep using the Light's Bane or Blood Butcherer.
- It's useful against weak bosses like the Eater of Worlds, especially when combined with decent armor.
- Its long reach and fast speed make it effective for battling flying enemies like Demon Eyes, Cave Bats, or Creepers.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Muramasa is likely named after a famous swordsmith of the same name who lived in 16th century Japan, whose blades were thought to have an unnatural blood lust, crying out for blood at night and refusing to be sheathed until they drew blood, even resorting to cutting their owner.
- Although so, Spike Chunsoft uses katakana name(ムラマサ) for this item in Japanese release, not original kanji name(村正).
- Muramasa was the first weapon in the game to be the most powerful. That lasted until its damage and knockback were reduced and the ability to equip more than one pair of Feral Claws was removed, long before the 1.1 update when hardmode was introduced. Prior to these updates, its high attack speed combined with the knockback it caused made it nearly impossible for enemies in front of the player to come close.
- Muramasa bears striking resemblance to the Cobalt Sword, though the latter is twice as powerful.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Damage increased from 18 to 19.
- Knockback from 1 to 2.5.
- Use time from 19 to 17.
- 1.2: Sprite updated.
- Damage reduced from 22 to 18.
- Knockback reduced from 3 to 1.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.