A Mushroom biome is a biome characterized by Mushroom Grass and Glowing Mushrooms growing on Mud Blocks. Giant Glowing Mushrooms can grow to significant heights if room is allowed for them to grow, and will regenerate if chopped down. Most elements of a Mushroom biome emit a faint glow, including its Mushrooms, Grass, and Giant Glowing Mushrooms, along with some of its enemies. The Truffle NPC requires a house in a Surface (above-ground) Mushroom biome.
Underground Mushroom biomes are Mushroom biomes below 0 depth. They can be found naturally, randomly generating on world creation. The background of an Underground Mushroom biome depicts numerous small mushrooms and several unique mushroom-themed enemies spawn there. Giant Glowing Mushrooms will also grow if there is enough vertical space, though unlike Giant Glowing Mushrooms on the surface, they typically appear without branches.
Surface Mushroom biomes are Mushroom biomes above 0 depth. They do not generate naturally and must instead be created by the player. The sun is removed from Surface Mushroom biomes, making the light level as low as it is at night, even during daytime hours. The background depicts towering mushrooms.
A Mushroom biome can be created manually by planting Mushroom Grass Seeds (sold by the Dryad in a Mushroom biome or gathered from harvesting Glowing Mushrooms) in Mud Blocks or spraying a part of Jungle with the Clentaminator using Dark Blue Solution. 100 tiles that are mushroom-related (Mushroom Grass, naturally grown Glowing Mushrooms, Giant Glowing Mushrooms) are required for an area to be considered a Mushroom biome.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Mushroom Grass is immune to being converted by an Evil Biome, while the interior Mud Blocks are not.
- Use of the Clentaminator with Green Solution on a Mushroom biome converts it to a Jungle biome. However, attempting to use Purification Powder to convert a Mushroom biome to a Jungle biome will fail.
- Underground Mushroom biomes do not generate within the Underground Snow biome and the Underground Desert .
- The Funkytown achievement can sometimes be obtained by using a Magic Mirror, Ice Mirror or Cell Phone while in an Underground Mushroom biome. This is likely caused by lag.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Caution should be taken when creating a Surface Mushroom biome in Pre-Hardmode, as the enemies that spawn there are much more powerful than other Pre-Hardmode enemies.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Due to the red tint of the Blood Moon, Surface Mushroom biomes take on a pinkish purple hue when one occurs.
- The moon will always be red in a Surface Mushroom biome, similar to a Blood Moon.
- A sample from the 1990 side-scrolling platform game Super Mario World is used in the background music for the Surface Mushroom biome.
- Underground Mushroom biomes will glow brighter if the player is near the "center" of the biome.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Mushroom houses added with mushroom chests and furniture.
- Desktop 1.2: Glowing Mushrooms were given their own biome (including music, background, spawns, etc.) as well as the ability to be cultivated on the surface (above 0 feet).
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.