|Type||Accessory – Furniture|
|Dimensions||2 wide × 2 high|
|Tooltip||Has a chance to record songs|
(with modifier, see Notes)
|Buy / Sell||10 / 2|
|Desktop/Console/Old-gen console-Only Content: This information applies only to the Desktop, Console, and Old-gen console versions of Terraria.|
The Music Box is a Hardmode Accessory that is purchased from the Wizard for 10 . When the Music Box is equipped in an accessory slot, it will record the currently playing game music, after a randomized delay. This includes tracks being played by other Music Boxes. Once recorded, it will change into one of the music boxes listed below.
A recorded Music Box can be played back in one of two ways:
- Equipping it as an accessory
- Placing it as furniture and activating it, either by right-click or with wires.
Recorded Music Boxes[edit | edit source]
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
All Versions[edit | edit source]
Console Version[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- A Music Box will not record if the game's music volume is set to 0.Verify
- A Music Box will always sell for 2 , regardless of whether it has recorded anything.
- Activating a recorded Music Box that has been placed will cause all players in the vicinity to hear its music.
- Music Boxes will record other placed Music Boxes. This is useful if you need multiple music boxes for a large area.
- Music Boxes have a range of 200 feet (100 tiles). If the ranges of two active Music Boxes overlap, the ranges will not be averaged. Instead, one Music Box will play at full range and the other will not.
- The Title Music Box is crafted with "Overworld Day." It cannot be crafted with "Alt Overworld Day". It must also be crafted with "Underground," not "Alt Underground".
- The Title Music Box cannot be crafted in Crimson worlds, as the recipe was made before the Crimson was introduced. However, you can use another world that has Corruption in it with the same character.
- While the Title Music Box has to be crafted first, it can be recorded, along with any other Title Music Box.
- Unlike most equipped accessories, an equipped Music Box is not visible on the player.
- A Music Box will not record when equipped in a vanity accessory slot.
- It can take up to 10 minutes for a Music Box to record a song on the console version of the game.
- The Music Box is currently not obtainable. Although the Music Box can be added via inventory editors, it is not fully coded, and will disappear upon being equipped, or upon leaving the world.
- Music Boxes can, in fact, be reforged and have modifiers. It is possible (though relatively rare) for a Music Box to get a random modifier after being recorded, but you can alternatively use the Goblin Tinkerer's reforge function.
- Music Boxes can also receive a random modifier if they had a pre-existing modifier and were placed down and picked back up. This will only work with Music Boxes that had a modifier before being placed and will not work with normal Music Boxes (meaning Music Boxes that did not have a modifier before being placed).
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Event and boss music may take multiple attempts to record, due to the random time required. Stretching these encounters for maximum time offers a better chance at a successful recording.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Music, a descriptive list of the various Terraria music tracks.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The total amount needed to buy one of every music box is 3 90 , or 2 90 , plus the craftable ones 1 20 or 1 70 .
- The Music Box (Tutorial) was initially crafted with console/mobile-exclusive Music Boxes. With the exception of the Music Box (Tutorial) itself, these Music Boxes are no longer exclusive, as of 1.2.
- Prior to 1.3, the Music Box (Title) required the most number of items of any item in the game.
References[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.4: Added Old One's Army music.
- Desktop 1.3.3: Added Sandstorm music.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Sprites updated.
- Added the following music: Hell, Goblin Invasion, Pirate Invasion, Martian Madness, The Towers, and Lunar Boss.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Fixed the bug where the wiring system was not activating Doors, Music Boxes and Fountains properly.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Updated graphics and each music box now has a unique design.
- Reverting back to randomly having a chance to record music.
- Music notes now come from music boxes.
- Desktop 1.2.2:
- Desktop 1.2.1: You can no longer reforge Music Boxes.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Fixed a bug that caused the music box to record instantly.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: You can no longer use the music box dupe glitch.
- Desktop 1.2:
- More music added.
- Music box/chest duping no longer works.
- Desktop 1.1.1: Fixed a bug with copying of recorded Music Box upon placing on wood platforms.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
| Hardmode Accessories |
| Wings • • •
• • • • • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •
• • • • • • •
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
• • • |
• • • • •
| Furniture: Crafting Stations • Light Sources • Storage Items • Other Items |