- Internal Tile ID: 79
Beds are furniture items which allow the player to set a new spawn point, or to sleep, which makes time pass 5 times faster, and gives a boost to health regeneration, similar to chairs and sofas. Beds fulfill the chair requirement for the purposes of housing. Beds have two separate sections which can be interacted with via ⚷ Open / Activate. Interacting with the head of a bed causes the player to enter the bed and sleep. Interacting with the foot half of a bed, when it is placed in a valid House, changes the player's spawn point.
Like most other furniture, the direction a bed is placed in depends on the direction the player is facing when placing it.
There are currently 35 / 27 craftable beds and 5 that can be acquired from the environment. All beds are functionally identical, and differ only in appearance.
Sleeping[edit | edit source]
Pressing ⚷ Open / Activate on the head of a bed causes the player to enter the bed and "sleep", which accelerates time by five times its normal rate (1 hour of in-game time, which would usually take 1 minute of real-life time, takes only 12 seconds while sleeping). This affects game time, including watches, the sun and moon, and background animations (but not buff timers, NPC movement or other animations).
- Sleeping has no effect during invasion events, including Blood Moons, Solar Eclipse and Lunar Events, or when an Enchanted Sundial is advancing time.
- While sleeping, a player can hold items like a Torch or Umbrella, but using items will cause the player to wake up.
- If an item that can aim (like a gun, spell, or summon) is used, the player can attack while asleep as long as they aim upward. Doing so will revert to normal time for a couple of seconds. Using items that do not aim, or using any item while the cursor is beneath the bed, will cause the player to wake up.
- The player will also wake up if attacked.
- Time acceleration in multiplayer requires that all players be asleep.
- Sleeping does not affect potion cooldowns or durations. However, it does give a boost on health regeneration. The latter effect is shared with chairs and sofas.
Setting player spawn point[edit | edit source]
Pressing ⚷ Open / Activate on the foot of a bed, when it is placed in a valid room, sets the player's spawn point to that bed. This is signified by the status message "Spawn point set!" When the same is done on a bed that has already been set as the player's spawn point, the status message "Spawn point removed!" is shown, and the player's spawn point is set back to the world's default.
For a bed to function properly as a spawn point, it must be in a valid room. Other than the bed itself, no other furniture or lighting is required. There must also be clear space at the head of the bed for the player to stand. A bed may be placed in a non-rectangular room, as long as the leftmost 3 tiles immediately above it are left clear.
For example: There may be a bed (4×2) surrounded by blocks on the left, right, and bottom, and above the foot of the bed, as long as there is space for the player to spawn at the head of the bed.
The top-left 3 tiles just above the bed are clear. The mirror image of this arrangement is also valid.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Internal Item ID: 4188
Internal Item ID: 4146
Internal Item ID: 4209
Internal Item ID: 4167
Internal Item ID: 2140
Internal Item ID: 3959
Internal Item ID: 2067
|Flesh Cloning Vat|
Internal Item ID: 1719
Internal Item ID: 1721( )
Internal Item ID: 2068
Internal Item ID: 2069
|Living Wood Bed|
Internal Item ID: 2139
Internal Item ID: 4567
Internal Item ID: 224
|Boreal Wood Bed|
Internal Item ID: 2553
Internal Item ID: 2066()
|Crystal Bed |
Internal Item ID: 3897
Internal Item ID: 2231
Internal Item ID: 644
Internal Item ID: 3164
Internal Item ID: 3163
Internal Item ID: 2811
Internal Item ID: 3162
Internal Item ID: 2538
|Palm Wood Bed|
Internal Item ID: 2520
Internal Item ID: 646
Internal Item ID: 2669()
|Rich Mahogany Bed|
Internal Item ID: 645
Internal Item ID: 4299
Internal Item ID: 920
Internal Item ID: 3932
Internal Item ID: 2071()
Internal Item ID: 2070
Internal Item ID: 2568
Internal Item ID: 1722
Internal Item ID: 2066( )
Internal Item ID: 1721()
Internal Item ID: 2669( )
Internal Item ID: 2071( )
Noncraftable Beds[edit | edit source]
|Blue Dungeon Bed
Internal Item ID: 1470
|Found in the Dungeon.|
|Green Dungeon Bed
Internal Item ID: 1471
|Found in the Dungeon.|
|Pink Dungeon Bed
Internal Item ID: 1472
|Found in the Dungeon.|
Internal Item ID: 1473
|Found in Ruined houses, does not disappear in lava.|
Internal Item ID: 1720
|Dropped by Pirates.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- As long as all conditions are met, beds can also be placed and activated underground or underwater.
- The player is still able to control weapons that throw a projectile that follow the mouse even while sleeping. Ex. Flying Knife, Magic Missile, Dirt Rod. etc.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- It is advisable to place and activate a bed in the same house the Nurse is living in, so immediate healing is available after recalling or respawning. Be careful not to reset the spawn point by accidentally hitting the bed upon pressing the Nurse's "heal" button, in case she is standing in front of the bed.
- There are many naturally-generated structures which can serve as suitable locations for a bed, such as Underground Cabins or the houses on Floating Islands. Some might require minor modifications, e.g. to fill background wall holes.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Pink Dungeon Bed was previously called Red Dungeon Bed. It still is on the Old-gen console version.
- Hovering over the Player (or one of the Players in Multiplayer) while that Player is sleeping on a Bed will produce a Sleeping Icon next to the cursor.
- That Sleeping Icon is actually an unobtainable, completely unusable item the only purpose of which is to create that icon.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Fixed a bug where speeding time up by sleeping in a bed would make some unusual visual effects.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Players can now sleep in beds, which speeds up time and increase health regeneration.
- Spider, Lesion, Bamboo, Sandstone, Nebula, Solar, Stardust and Vortex Beds added.
- Spooky, Pumpkin, and Honey beds now require a Sawmill to craft.
- Skyware Bed item and placed sprites updated.
- Desktop 1.3.5: Crystal Bed added.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Meteorite, Granite, Marble and Martian Beds added.
- Now able to remove spawn point by right-clicking on the bed again.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Palm Wood, Mushroom, Boreal Wood, Slime, and Pumpkin Beds added.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Various bed types added.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: If you place a bed somewhere that would cause you to not spawn without breaking through blocks you will now get a message when trying to set your spawn point letting you know the bed is not in a suitable position.
- Desktop 1.2: Various bed types added.
- Desktop 1.0.2: Placing a bed far from the spawn no longer causes a player who has set their spawn there to crash on join.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console 1.07: Added Bone, Pumpkin, Skyware, Slime, and Spooky Beds.
- Console 1.06: Added 1.2.3 Beds.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.12715: Fixed a bug where Bed spawn set messages would not appear.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Added Palm Wood, Mushroom, Boreal Wood, Slime, Pumpkin Beds, and all 1.2.3 Beds.
- Mobile 1.0.2: Fixed a different bug involving bed placement for Google Play release.
- Mobile 1.0.1: Fixed Bed placement bug for Android.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.