The Necromancer is a Hardmode enemy found in the post-Plantera Dungeon. They are much more likely to appear in areas with Brick Walls.
Necromancers rapidly fire beams of purple light at the player. After firing six times they teleport, however if they are hurt they will instantly relocate. They usually teleport to a different place on screen, but if there are no other suitable destinations, they will simply return to the same location. They can only teleport onto solid blocks, so forcing their teleport position is possible. This can be exploited to farm them more efficiently by having only a single platform in range of their teleport and hitting all enemies, including them, off screen with a homing weapon.
The beams they fire are extremely dangerous, as they deal significant damage, reflect multiple times off walls and travel at great velocities, making them difficult to avoid. Necromancers also inflict the Slow debuff, further increasing the difficulty of avoiding their attacks.
Like several other post-Plantera dungeon enemies, Necromancers have different variants with slightly different statistics.
A Necromancer attacking a player, the beam bouncing off in a way that makes it a straight line.
- A Necromancer's attack is always directly aimed at the player, regardless of obstacles.
- Weapons that deal high damage in single hits are effective against Necromancers. Weapons that fire multiple projectiles simultaneously may be able to land multiple hits before they teleport as well.
- Homing weapons can continue to track Necromancers after they teleport.
- Minions are effective against Necromancers, as they will automatically find and track enemies outside of the player's line of sight. Many can pass through walls to reach Necromancers as well.
- A Necromancer cannot teleport if it isn't touching the ground through any means of knock back.
- The Piranha Gun is also effective against Necromancers as the Necromancers teleport upon damage and the piranha will pass through blocks to get to them when latched on.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Now are less likely to teleport when hit.
- Can now drop its own respective banner.
- Drop chance of Shadowbeam Staff increased from 2.5% to 5%.