From Terraria Wiki
|Type||Accessory – Crafting material|
|Tooltip||Transforms the holder into merfolk when entering water|
|Buff duration||While underwater|
|Buff tooltip||Can breathe and move easily underwater|
- On the Desktop version and Console version, Neptune's Shell can only be obtained as a drop. It has a 2% / 3% (1/50 / 1/33 ) chance to be dropped by a Creature from the Deep during a Solar Eclipse event.
- On the Old-gen console version, Mobile version, and , Neptune's Shell can only be obtained through crafting. version
Neptune's Shell can be considered an upgrade from the Diving Gear in most respects, but lacks the underwater lighting of the Jellyfish Diving Gear and the extra mobility on ice of the Arctic Diving Gear.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
|Old-gen console/Mobile/3DS-Only Content: This section's information applies only to the Old-gen console, Mobile, and 3DS versions of Terraria.|
Used In[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Wearing the Fish Bowl will not activate the Merfolk buff.
- Swimming speed nears that of flying through air with Wings.
- Swimming in Honey activates all the perks of Merfolk but does not allow you to move at full speed.
- Swimming in Lava does not activate the Merfolk form.
- Landing in and "jumping" from water alone (by swimming up past the surface), without touching land, does not reset flight time for Wings or variants of Rocket Boots.
- The Merfolk buff overrides the Werewolf buff, replacing the graphics and canceling the bonuses granted by the Moon Charm during the night.
- The Merfolk form is affected by Dyes.
- Neptune's Shell can also be equipped as a vanity accessory, which causes the Merfolk form to appear regardless of whether the player is in water. This is merely the appearance of the Merfolk, the buff will not take affect while it is equipped as a vanity (caution should be taken when in water, as the player will need to watch their breath meter).
- Half of the ingredients can be obtained pre-Hardmode, so it pays to collect them as early as possible.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name of the item refers to Neptune, Roman god of the sea.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Can now hide the Neptune's Shell Merfolk transformation.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.