- Internal NPC ID: 18
The Nurse is an NPC that will spawn once the following criteria have been met:
The Nurse will heal the player's health and cure them of any active debuffs (there are exceptions, see Notes and History), for a price. Healing costs can range from a few Copper to several Silver Coins, depending on how much health the player is missing. She charges Copper equal to 75% of the health restored (e.g.
75*75 for restoring 100 health), plus an additional 750*7 50 for every active debuff on the player.
In the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, she will fight enemies by throwing poison syringes that will damage and poison enemies for 3-5 seconds. She can also use healing syringes to heal herself and other friendly NPCs for 20 health.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If the player has full health and the heal option is available, this may be because of active debuffs.
- If planning on healing and drinking Ale, make sure to drink the Ale after healing, as Tipsy is a debuff.
- The Nurse can survive forever underwater due to the fact that she heals herself.
- The Nurse cannot remove Potion Sickness, Water Candle, and Creative Shock, nor does she charge extra for them.
- The Nurse cannot heal herself if the player is talking to her. This can, however, be circumvented with Autopause enabled.
- The Nurse's healing is cheap by any standard: Healing 599 health (the maximum possible with a Lifeforce Potion) would cost
450*4 50 . Compare to the buy price of a Greater Healing Potion ( 5000*50 ) which heals a quarter the amount and has a cooldown to boot. Even the cost of healing debuffs is small change by the time the Nurse actually appears. The "Frequent Flyer" achievement represents over 13,000 health points or 13 debuffs healed.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Names[edit | edit source]
The Nurse may have any of the following names:
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Anytime other than during a Blood Moon:
- "Turn your head and cough."
- "That's not the biggest I've ever seen... Yes, I've seen bigger wounds for sure."
- "Would you like a lollipop?"
- "Show me where it hurts."
Before defeating Wall of Flesh:
- "I need to have a serious talk with <name of Guide>. How many times a week can you come in with severe lava burns?" (a reference to the effects of the Guide Voodoo Doll when it is thrown into lava.)
Before defeating Skeletron:
- "Have you seen that old man pacing around the dungeon? He looks troubled."
When Demolitionist is present:
- "I wish <name of Demolitionist> would be more careful. I'm getting tired of having to sew his limbs back on every day."
When Arms Dealer is present:
- "Hey, has <name of Arms Dealer> mentioned needing to go to the doctor for any reason? Just wondering."
When Tavernkeep is present:
- "I keep asking for wine, but all <name of Tavernkeep> gives me are mugs of ale."
When player is moderately injured (≥33% health, but <66% health):
- "Quit being such a baby! I've seen worse."
- "That's gonna need stitches!"
- "Trouble with those bullies again?"
- "Hold on, I've got some cartoon bandages around here somewhere."
- "Walk it off, <name of player>, you'll be fine. Sheesh."
- "Does it hurt when you do that? Don't do that."
- "You look half digested. Have you been chasing slimes again?"
When player is badly injured (<33% health):
- "I think you look better this way."
- "Eww... What happened to your face?"
- "MY GOODNESS! I'm good, but I'm not THAT good."
- "Dear friends we are gathered here today to bid farewell... Oh, you'll be fine."
- "You left your arm over there. Let me get that for you..."
During a Blood Moon:
- When player is not badly injured (≥33% health):
- "What is that supposed to mean?!"
- "I don't think I like your tone."
- "Why are you even here? If you aren't bleeding, you don't need to be here. Get out."
- When player is badly injured (<33% health):
- "You better not get blood on me."
- "Hurry up and stop bleeding."
- "If you're going to die, do it outside."
When player clicks Heal:
- When player clicks Heal if slightly injured (≥75% health):
- "That didn't hurt too bad, now did it?"
- When player clicks Heal if moderately injured (≥50% health, but <75% health):
- "All better. I don't want to see you jumping off anymore cliffs."
- When player clicks Heal if badly injured (≥25% health, but <50% health):
- "That's probably going to leave a scar."
- When player clicks Heal if very badly injured (<25% health):
- "I managed to sew your face back on. Be more careful next time."
- When player clicks Heal at full health:
- "I don't give happy endings."
- "I can't do anymore for you without plastic surgery."
- "Quit wasting my time."
- When player clicks Heal without enough coins:
- "I'm sorry, but you can't afford me."
- "I'm gonna need more gold than that."
- "I don't work for free you know."
During a Party :
- "No, I will not tell you how many candles are on my cake."
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Nurse can be used as a "healing station" when at low health, e.g. during a boss fight, by teleporting to the spawn point (using a Magic/Ice Mirror) where the Nurse is present. Autopause can be used to grant more time.
- The Frequent Flyer achievement can be a difficult achievement to obtain, as it is very cheap to get healed by the nurse, unless you have a debuff. Having a nearby trap that inflicts a debuff, such as lava or a dart trap, can help a player obtain this achievement very quickly.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There appears to be conflict between the Nurse and the Mechanic during a Blood Moon. When both are present, they have various hostile sayings that replace their standard quotes (see Quotes). During this time, the Merchant has a chance of saying, "Oh, great. I can hear <name of Mechanic> and <name of Nurse> arguing from here."
- The Arms Dealer seemingly has romantic interest in her according to his quotes when the Nurse is present. This is also reflected in the Nurse's quote "Hey, has <name of Arms Dealer> mentioned needing to go to the doctor for any reason? Just wondering."
- The Nurse is depicted in a painting called "Nurse Lisa", a reference to the famous portrait painting Mona Lisa by the Italian Renaissance artist Leonardo da Vinci.
- During a Party , when the Nurse dons a party hat, her hairstyle is different. She wears it down instead of up in a ponytail: This makes sense as wearing a party hat while having hair in a ponytail would be cumbersome.
- The Nurse will not say "I don't give happy endings." if the Blood and Gore setting is turned off.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Nurse no longer charges for or removes heart lantern and campfire buffs. This also applies to the Potion Sickness and Water Candle debuffs.
- Desktop 1.1: Now has random name given to her on spawn. Her deaths will be reported with this name. Also other NPCs will use it in their quotes. No longer spawns a second nurse in multiplayer.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.