|AI Type||Passive AI|
|Internal NPC ID: 18|
The Nurse is an NPC that will spawn once the following criteria have been met:
- There is an empty House.
- The player's maximum life has been increased with a Life Crystal.
- Merchant is present.
The Nurse will heal the player's health and cure them of any active Debuffs (there are exceptions, see Notes and History), for a price. Healing costs can range from a few copper to a few silver, depending on how much damage the player has taken. She charges Copper equal to 75% of the health restored (e.g. 75 copper for 100 health), plus an additional 7 silver coins and 50 copper coins for every active Debuff on the player.
In the Desktop version and Console version, she will fight enemies by throwing poison syringes that will damage and poison enemies. She can also use healing syringes to heal herself and other friendly NPCs.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If the player has full health and the heal option is available, this may be because of active debuffs.
- If planning on healing and drinking Ale, make sure to drink the Ale after healing, as healing after using Ale will remove the Tipsy debuff and all its attack benefits.
- The Nurse can survive forever underwater due to the fact that she heals herself.
- The Nurse cannot remove Potion Sickness, nor does she charge extra for it.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|The Frequent Flyer • "Spend over 1 gold being treated by the nurse."|
|Spend over 1 total being treated by the Nurse.|
Names[edit | edit source]
The Nurse may have any of the following names:
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Note: The Nurse has many quotes that vary with the amount of damage the player has taken, whether or not they have enough coins to pay, and whether it is a Blood Moon.
Anytime other than during a Blood Moon:
- "Show me where it hurts."
- "That's not the biggest I've ever seen... Yes, I've seen bigger wounds for sure."
- "Turn your head and cough."
- "Would you like a lollipop?"
Before defeating the Wall of Flesh:
- "I need to have a serious talk with [Name of Guide]. How many times a week can you come in with severe lava burns?" (a reference to the effects of the Guide Voodoo Doll when it is thrown into lava.)
Before defeating Skeletron:
- "Have you seen that Old Man pacing around the dungeon? He looks troubled."
When Demolitionist is present:
- "I wish [Name of Demolitionist] would be more careful. I'm getting tired of having to sew his limbs back on every day."
When Arms Dealer is present:
- "Hey, has [Name of Arms Dealer] mentioned needing to go to the doctor for any reason? Just wondering."
When Tavernkeep is present:
- "I keep asking for wine, but all [Name of Tavernkeep] gives me are mugs of ale."
When player is moderately injured (less than 66% health):
- "Quit being such a baby! I've seen worse."
- "Trouble with those bullies again?"
- "That's gonna need stitches!"
- "You look half digested. Have you been chasing slimes again?"
- "Hold on, I've got some cartoon bandages around here somewhere."
- "Walk it off, [Name of Player], you'll be fine. Sheesh."
- "Does it hurt when you do that? Don't do that."
When player is badly injured (less than 33% health):
- "Dear friends we are gathered here today to bid farewell... oh, you'll be fine."
- "I think you look better this way."
- "Eww.. what happened to your face?"
- "You left your arm over there. Let me get that for you."
- "MY GOODNESS! I'm good but I'm not THAT good."
During a Blood Moon:
- When player is at full health to moderately injured:
- "What is that supposed to mean!?"
- "I don't think I like your tone."
- "Why are you even here? If you aren't bleeding, you don't need to be here. Get out."
- When player is badly injured:
- "If you're going to die, do it outside."
- "Hurry up and stop bleeding."
- "You better not get blood on me."
When player clicks Heal:
- When player clicks Heal if slightly injured:
- "That didn't hurt too bad, now did it?"
- When player clicks Heal if moderately injured:
- "All better. I don't want to see you jumping off any more cliffs."
- When player clicks Heal if very badly injured:
- "I managed to sew your face back on. Be more careful next time."
- "That's probably going to leave a scar."
- When player clicks Heal at full health:
- "Quit wasting my time."
- "I don't give happy endings."
- "I can't do anymore for you without plastic surgery."
- When player clicks Heal without enough coins:
- "I'm sorry, but you can't afford me."
- "I'm gonna need more gold than that."
- "I don't work for free you know."
During a Party:
- "No, I will not tell you how many candles are on my cake."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Nurse is one of the rudest NPCs in the game, seemingly mocking the player's wounds in the majority of her quotes (e.g. "Quit being such a baby!"). On Blood Moons, her demeanor reaches its peak.
- There appears to be conflict between the Nurse and the Mechanic during a Blood Moon. When both are present, they have various hostile sayings that replace their standard quotes (see Quotes). During this time, the Merchant has a chance of saying, "Oh, great. I can hear [name of Mechanic] and [name of Nurse] arguing from here."
- The Arms Dealer seemingly has romantic interest in her according to his quotes when the Nurse is present. This is also reflected in the Nurse's quote "Has [Name of Arms Dealer] mentioned needing to go to the doctor for any reason? Just wondering."
- The Nurse is depicted in a Painting called Nurse Lisa, a reference to the famous painting by Leonardo da Vinci, Mona Lisa.
- During a party, when the Nurse dons a party hat, her hairstyle is different. She wears it down instead of up in a ponytail: This makes sense as wearing a party hat while having hair in a ponytail would be cumbersome.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Nurse no longer charges for or removes heart lantern and campfire buffs. This also applies to the Potion Sickness and Water Candle debuffs.
- Desktop 1.1: Now has random name given to her on spawn. Her deaths will be reported with this name. Also other NPCs will use it in their quotes. No longer spawns a second nurse in Multiplayer.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.