- Internal NPC ID: 18
The Nurse is an NPC that will spawn once the following criteria have been met:
- There is an empty House.
- The player's maximum life has been increased with a Life Crystal.
- Merchant is present.
The Nurse will heal the player's health and cure them of any active debuffs (there are exceptions, see Notes and History), for a price. Healing costs can range from a few copper to a few silver, depending on how much damage the player has taken. She charges Copper equal to 75% of the health restored (e.g. 75 for 100 health), plus an additional
750*7 50 for every active debuff on the player.
In the Desktop version and Console version, she will fight enemies by throwing poison syringes that will damage and poison enemies for 3-6 seconds. She can also use healing syringes to heal herself and other friendly NPCs.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If the player has full health and the heal option is available, this may be because of active debuffs.
- If planning on healing and drinking Ale, make sure to drink the Ale after healing, as healing after using Ale will remove the Tipsy debuff and all its attack benefits.
- The Nurse can survive forever underwater due to the fact that she heals herself.
- The Nurse cannot remove Potion Sickness, nor does she charge extra for it.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Names[edit | edit source]
The Nurse may have any of the following names:
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Note: The Nurse has many quotes that vary with the amount of damage the player has taken, whether or not they have enough coins to pay, and whether it is a Blood Moon.
Anytime other than during a Blood Moon:
- "Show me where it hurts."
- "That's not the biggest I've ever seen... Yes, I've seen bigger wounds for sure."
- "Turn your head and cough."
- "Would you like a lollipop?"
Before defeating the Wall of Flesh:
- "I need to have a serious talk with [Name of Guide]. How many times a week can you come in with severe lava burns?" (a reference to the effects of the Guide Voodoo Doll when it is thrown into lava.)
Before defeating Skeletron:
- "Have you seen that Old Man pacing around the dungeon? He looks troubled."
When Demolitionist is present:
- "I wish [Name of Demolitionist] would be more careful. I'm getting tired of having to sew his limbs back on every day."
When Arms Dealer is present:
- "Hey, has [Name of Arms Dealer] mentioned needing to go to the doctor for any reason? Just wondering."
When Tavernkeep is present:
- "I keep asking for wine, but all [Name of Tavernkeep] gives me are mugs of ale."
When player is moderately injured (less than 66% health):
- "Quit being such a baby! I've seen worse."
- "Trouble with those bullies again?"
- "That's gonna need stitches!"
- "You look half digested. Have you been chasing slimes again?"
- "Hold on, I've got some cartoon bandages around here somewhere."
- "Walk it off, [Name of Player], you'll be fine. Sheesh."
- "Does it hurt when you do that? Don't do that."
When player is badly injured (less than 33% health):
- "Dear friends we are gathered here today to bid farewell... oh, you'll be fine."
- "I think you look better this way."
- "Eww.. what happened to your face?"
- "You left your arm over there. Let me get that for you."
- "MY GOODNESS! I'm good but I'm not THAT good."
During a Blood Moon:
- When player is at full health to moderately injured:
- "What is that supposed to mean!?"
- "I don't think I like your tone."
- "Why are you even here? If you aren't bleeding, you don't need to be here. Get out."
- When player is badly injured:
- "If you're going to die, do it outside."
- "Hurry up and stop bleeding."
- "You better not get blood on me."
When player clicks Heal:
- When player clicks Heal if slightly injured:
- "That didn't hurt too bad, now did it?"
- When player clicks Heal if moderately injured:
- "All better. I don't want to see you jumping off any more cliffs."
- When player clicks Heal if very badly injured:
- "I managed to sew your face back on. Be more careful next time."
- "That's probably going to leave a scar."
- When player clicks Heal at full health:
- "Quit wasting my time."
- "I don't give happy endings."
- "I can't do anymore for you without plastic surgery."
- When player clicks Heal without enough coins:
- "I'm sorry, but you can't afford me."
- "I'm gonna need more gold than that."
- "I don't work for free you know."
During a Party:
- "No, I will not tell you how many candles are on my cake."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There appears to be conflict between the Nurse and the Mechanic during a Blood Moon. When both are present, they have various hostile sayings that replace their standard quotes (see Quotes). During this time, the Merchant has a chance of saying, "Oh, great. I can hear [name of Mechanic] and [name of Nurse] arguing from here."
- The Arms Dealer seemingly has romantic interest in her according to his quotes when the Nurse is present. This is also reflected in the Nurse's quote "Has [Name of Arms Dealer] mentioned needing to go to the doctor for any reason? Just wondering."
- The Nurse is depicted in a Painting called Nurse Lisa, a reference to the famous painting by Leonardo da Vinci, Mona Lisa.
- During a party, when the Nurse dons a party hat, her hairstyle is different. She wears it down instead of up in a ponytail: This makes sense as wearing a party hat while having hair in a ponytail would be cumbersome.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Nurse no longer charges for or removes heart lantern and campfire buffs. This also applies to the Potion Sickness and Water Candle debuffs.
- Desktop 1.1: Now has random name given to her on spawn. Her deaths will be reported with this name. Also other NPCs will use it in their quotes. No longer spawns a second nurse in Multiplayer.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.