We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
|Damage||10 / 20|
|Max Life||250 / 500|
|KB Resist||50% / 55|
|Internal NPC ID: 195|
|Damage||35 / 70|
|Max Life||300 / 600|
|KB Resist||60% / 64|
|Internal NPC ID: 196|
The Nymph is a very rare enemy that spawns in the Cavern layer. When encountered, she appears as the Lost Girl, who seems to be a helpless NPC in need of rescue. When a player gets close or attacks the Lost Girl, she transforms and attacks as the Nymph, a dangerous enemy that deals high damage (for a pre-Hardmode enemy).
The Lost Girl is immune to the Confused debuff, though the transformed Nymph isn't.
She can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Deceiver of Fools • "Kill a Nymph"|
|Defeat a Nymph for the first time.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Minions and other enemy-seeking weapons will target the Lost Girl before she transforms into a Nymph.
- Nymphs spawn less frequently during Hardmode (0.1%, opposed to 0.6%). This is because in Hardmode, despite the spawn rate for enemies becoming greater, the variety of enemies that can spawn makes it far less likely for the Nymph to be selected.
- To be specific, the Lost Girl will only transform into a Nymph if:
- The Lost Girl has been hurt
- The distance between the player and the Lost Girl is less than 200 pixels, and she has a direct line of sight to the player
- The Lost Girl is moving (falling, knockback)
- While the Nymph is one of the rarest enemies in Terraria, in reality, she spawns more frequently than is initially apparent. She is usually missed due to her passive and stationary behavior: she often remains in dark areas, without moving to attack players or making any sounds, like most enemies would. Using a Lifeform Analyzer, the Nymph's actual spawn rate becomes more apparent.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- While she moves fast and hits hard, she cannot attack from a distance, nor can she jump very high. Stay out of reach and use a ranged weapon to dispatch her safely.
- A Harpoon, Flail, Boomerang or Yoyo can be effective, as the Nymph can be stun-locked. Even with her high health, the Harpoon can kill a Nymph in moments with no risk to the wielder, due to its extremely high rate of fire, so long as it is used at short range.
- A Hunter Potion, Lifeform Analyzer, or both can be useful for finding Lost Girls.
- In Expert Mode, the Lost Girl has twice the health of a normal friendly NPC. This makes her suspicious even for a first time encounter.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In Greek and Latin mythology, a nymph is a lesser female deity who served the god of nature, Pan.
- The Lost Girl appears naked, likely to make her seem more vulnerable and in need of saving.
- The left half of the Nymph Banner depicts the Lost Girl, while the right half is the actual Nymph enemy.
- Despite her name, the Nymph behaves closer to a siren. Sirens are female Greek mythological creatures who use their voices to lure sailors into crashing their ship into rocks.
- Also, despite her name, the Nymph may be based on Fairies of old (human-shaped, mischievous, often nasty in disposition), whose bane is iron. While metal weapons don't do any more damage than usual, this may be the reason the Nymph sometimes drops a Metal Detector.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- 22.214.171.124: Fixed not having rarity on Lifeform Analyzer.
- 126.96.36.199: Now drops Metal Detector.
- 1.2.3: Spawn chance increased.
- 188.8.131.52: Can now drop her own respective banner.
- 1.2: Introduced.