|Lost Girl transforms into a Nymph (in detail)|
The Nymph is a rare enemy that spawns in the Cavern layer of any biome. When encountered, she appears as the Lost Girl, who seems to be a helpless NPC in need of rescue. When a player gets close or attacks the Lost Girl, she transforms and attacks as the Nymph, a dangerous enemy that deals high damage (for a pre-Hardmode enemy).
The Lost Girl will only transform into a Nymph if one of the following apply:
- The Lost Girl has been hurt.
- The distance between the player and the Lost Girl is less than 200 pixels, and she has a direct line of sight to the player.
- The Lost Girl is moving (falling, knockback).
The Lost Girl is immune to the Confused debuff, but the transformed Nymph is not.
She is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Minions and other enemy-seeking weapons, such as the Possessed Hatchet and Razorblade Typhoon, will target the Lost Girl before she transforms into a Nymph.
- Nymphs spawn less frequently during Hardmode. This is because in Hardmode, despite the spawn rate for enemies becoming greater, the variety of enemies that can spawn makes it far less likely for the Nymph to be selected. For this reason, it is best to search for Nymphs prior to Hardmode to make obtaining the Metal Detector easier. Creating a new world and digging straight down until you reach the cavern layer then digging horizontally has proved to be a great strategy.
- The Nymph can spawn in the Underground Corruption/Crimson, so long as it is inside or below the Cavern Layer.
- While the Nymph is one of the rarest enemies in Terraria, in reality, she spawns more frequently than is initially apparent. She is usually missed due to her passive and stationary behavior: she often remains in dark areas, without moving to attack players or making any sounds, unlike what most enemies would do. Using a Lifeform Analyzer, which can be bought from the Traveling Merchant, the Nymph's actual spawn rate becomes more apparent.
- Players encountering a Lost Girl for the first time in normal mode may confuse the Nymph for a town NPC in need of saving, due to having 250 health and appearing naked, making her look more vulnerable. In Expert and Master Mode, the Nymph has more health than NPCs.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- While she moves fast and hits hard, she cannot attack from a distance, nor can she jump very high. Stay out of reach and use a ranged weapon to dispatch her safely.
- The Nymph moves quite fast, and therefore, Harpoon, flail, boomerang, Terragrim / Arkhalis or yoyo can be effective, as they can all easily stunlock her. Even with her high health, the Harpoon can kill a Nymph in moments with no risk to the wielder, due to its extremely high rate of fire, so long as it is used at short range.
- A Hunter Potion, Lifeform Analyzer, or both can be useful for finding Lost Girls.
- In Expert Mode and Master Mode, the Lost Girl has respectively twice and thrice the health of a normal friendly NPC. This makes her suspicious even for a first-time encounter.
- If the player has a Magic Lantern light pet, the Lost Girl will sparkle, suggesting to the player that she is treasure (which is false). This can be used to locate nymphs within a short radius, if the player does not yet have a Lifeform Analyzer.
- To increase the chances of finding her (especially useful in Hardmode), the player can use Water Candles and Battle Potions to increase the enemy spawn rate and hence that of the Lost Girl.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Although the Nymph is much stronger in nearly all ways than the Lost Girl, the Lost Girl has more defense.
- In Greek and Latin mythology, a nymph is a lesser female deity who served the god of nature, Pan.
- The Lost Girl sprite appears naked, likely to make her seem more vulnerable and in need of saving.
- The left half of the Nymph Banner depicts the Lost Girl, while the right half is the actual Nymph enemy.
- The Nymph's hands appear to be stained with blood.
- The achievement for killing the Nymph appears to show her in the Lost Girl form.
- With a drop chance of 0.5%, the Nymph Banner is one of the rarest items in the game.
- According to a post by Redigit in the Terraria Discord, the Nymph is the great grandma of the Guide.
- The beginning of the bestiary entry for the lost girl may be a reference to the show "Naked and Afraid".
- Lost Girl: "Naked and afraid, this girl stands still, deep in the world, as if waiting for someone to rescue her and lead her to the surface."
- Nymph: "Masterfully deceives explorers by posing as a lost girl, then attacks with ferocious might, blood-lust in her eyes."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Spawn chance increased.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Can now drop her own respective banner.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.