- See also: Placement
Objects, or background objects, are a general type of tile which occupy space but can be passed by the player. Blocks cannot be created on top of them until they are removed. Most types of objects are scattered across the world during world generation, though some (namely pieces of Furniture) can be manually placed by the player. Unlike blocks, objects do not form terrain and act as separate and independent tiles. There are a large number of objects which serve no purpose, and instead are only used for their appearance.
Many background objects yield items when harvested by the player by using a pickaxe or explosives. Exceptions include:
- Ambient objects, however destroying these in the Surface layer or Underground Jungle can spawn Critters.
- Beehive, however destroying these will release Bees and an occasional Hornet.
- Larva, however its destruction will summon Queen Bee.
- Plantera's Bulb, however its destruction will summon Plantera.
- Altars, however destroying these will generate the first three tiers of Hardmode ores and spread Corruption/Crimson or Hallow.
- Mysterious Tablet, a graphical prop for the Cultists' ritual (this object cannot be destroyed by the player).
Objects list[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If an object (such as a stalagmite) is sitting in lava, and water is pouring onto the same spot, a block of Obsidian will not form, but the water will be consumed and lost regardless.
- Planter Boxes are special in the regard that the player can stand on top of them.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.