Obsidian is a unique pre-Hardmode ore which is created when Water and Lava collide, at which point it forms placed blocks of Obsidian which can be mined and collected. Though Obsidian is considered an ore and is gathered similarly, it has no bar form of its own (although it is used to craft Hellstone Bars). Mining Obsidian requires a pickaxe with at least 65% pickaxe power (the Nightmare Pickaxe and its counterpart, the Deathbringer Pickaxe, are the weakest pickaxes able to do so). If the player lacks a viable pickaxe, Explosives can also be used.
Desktop version and Console version only[edit | edit source]
- Obsidian is not destroyed by Lava, despite being of White Rarity.
- Obsidian is fairly rare naturally and will usually require player intervention to spawn.
- A good way to rapidly acquire obsidian with little effort is to put in contact a large pocket of water with a large pocket of Lava, by digging a small conduit in the water pocket leading to the bottom of the lava pocket. Then, one can safely collect obsidian in a way lava falling on water will produce an obsidian block at the exact spot of the block that has just been collected.
- Obsidian in real life is cooled volcanic glass. It is a very brittle substance that chips easily.
- Desktop 1.2: Stack limit was increased from 250 to 999.