|Use time||20 (Very fast)|
- Obsidian Swordfish
The Obsidian Swordfish is a Hardmode spear. It has the second-highest base damage of any spear (beaten only by the North Pole). However, it is very short compared to other Hardmode spears. It is obtained via Fishing in Lava, by using any lava fishing method (including lava bait or Lavaproof Fishing Hook) during Hardmode, or only by using the Hotline Fishing Hook. The chance to catch it is 1/7 with 50% Fishing power and above.
The Obsidian Swordfish has an extremely high base critical strike chance of 24% as opposed to the usual 4%. This gives it not only the highest base critical strike chance of any melee weapon, but also the second highest of any weapon, tied with the Sky Fracture and surpassed only by the Sniper Rifle.
Its best modifier is Godly or Demonic. Both modifiers increase the average damage output by the same amount.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Despite the fact that its use came from its appearance and its name, it's actually a spear rather than a sword.
- The world does not need to be in Hardmode in order to catch this item, however a Hotline Fishing Hook is required, which can only be obtained in Hardmode worlds.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Because the requirements for catching the Obsidian Swordfish are really low, it is possible to catch it at the start of Hardmode as long as you have lava bait. The Obsidian Swordfish is significantly better than the best Pre-Hardmode spear, Dark Lance.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Changed the fishing requirements from needing the Hotline Fishing Hook at any point to instead need any lava fishing method in Hardmode-only.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Introduced.