The Ocean is a large body of Water found on the surface of each map at both left and right edges, comprising the eastern 500ft (250 blocks) and the western 500ft for large mapsVerify and 676ft (338 blocks) for medium maps. It extends as deep as the Cavern Layer with maximum depth reached at the edge of the map.
Contents[edit | edit source]
|Characters||Unique Treasures||Unique Drops||For Sale|
From Sea Snail:
From Pink Jellyfish:
From Duke Fishron:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Ocean enemies will only detect and swim toward you if your character is in the water to at least one tile depth.
- If the Ocean has enough "dry" sand surface Desert enemies may spawn there, but the area near the water will not start growing desert plants.
- On some worlds, the Ocean can be extremely shallow. As little as 11 blocks from the sea bed in the deepest part.
- Sometimes, if you mine straight down to The Underworld from the ocean, the ocean will drain indefinitely and slowly flood it. This can sometimes happen on mobile by mining past the world edge using the tool joystick on the bottom-right of the screen, causing a seemingly infinite water source and not draining any ocean water. This can be circumvented by re-logging into your world, while this will also sometimes leave untouched water in the underworld and will almost always leave the ocean empty.
- Hardmode Corruption/Crimson or Hallow can convert all the sand into Ebonsand/Crimsand or Pearlsand, effectively converting the Ocean into a Corrupted/Crimson or Hallow Desert biome.
- Unlike other biomes, the water in the Ocean does not turn red during a Blood Moon.
- Although the Ocean appears to reach the edge of the world, 3rd party map viewers will show that it actually extends for several blocks more. The Corruption/Crimson or Hallow can spread to the sand via these unseen extra blocks at the sea bed.
- The Ocean biome's music is currently different in the Console version and Mobile version.
- Sometimes, the sea bed can go lower down than level layer, causing a bit of the underground's background to pop up.
- If the sea bed is low enough, it is possible to find Heart Crystals, desert Underground Cabins and Campsites on the Ocean floor.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Players exploring the ocean run the risk of drowning if not equipped with the proper accessories. In addition to plenty of healing potions, bring items and potions that aid breathing, such as the Breathing Reed and Gills Potion, a Magic Mirror for returning home quickly, and Flippers to aid swimming. The Grappling Hook or Ivy Whip may also be of some help in returning to the surface for breath. The Neptune's shell or any of its upgrades removes the need to breathe altogether.
- Players may drain the ocean by tunneling down to the Underworld, where water evaporates.
- Another way of draining the ocean is by making an air pocket, empty a bucket of lava in it and place a background object (chest, crystal shard etc.) in the lava. After that allow the water to flow in. The object will prevent obsidian from being generated, causing all the water to disappear.
- When attempting to preserve the Ocean biome from being converted in Hardmode, simply digging a quarantine gap under the sea bed is insufficient because world data extends a little past the edge. The gap must thus be extended vertically along the edge right up to the sea bed, which needs to be plugged with incorruptible blocks to both prevent the water from draining as well as stop any spread of corruption/crimson or hallow.
- The oceans have a lot of space, making them good places for large scale builds like arenas and huge farms.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Ocean enemies can now spawn on biome oceans, this applies to the Sleeping Angler Kid as well.
- Desktop 1.2.4:
- Desktop 1.2:
- Desktop 1.1: Now has its own background.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.