- Internal NPC ID: 37
Have you seen that old man pacing around the dungeon? He looks troubled.
The Old Man is an NPC whose primary function is to summon Skeletron. He can be found at the Dungeon's entrance. When spoken to at night, the Old Man will give the player the option to "Curse", which summons Skeletron. When spoken to during the day, the Old Man will tell the player to return at night. He will also judge players with 300 maximum health (15 hearts) or less, or 10 defense or less as unworthy but still allows them to summon Skeletron.
The Dungeon can be entered without defeating Skeletron, but traveling deeper than ground level within it (below zero depth) will spawn Dungeon Guardians that will most likely kill the player on contact (see Guide:Dungeon Guardian strategies).
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Old Man can be hurt with lava, Dart Traps, which cause normal damage and debuff effects, and explosives. He will also take damage from a rolling Boulder and Suffocation like all other NPCs. However, enemies do not deal damage to him, and he does not defend himself against them ( like other NPCs), although he will still run away from them.
- If the Old Man dies or the player fails to defeat Skeletron, the Old Man will respawn at the Dungeon entrance the following day.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
During the day:
- "I cannot let you enter until you free me of my curse."
- "Come back at night if you wish to enter."
- "My master cannot be summoned under the light of day."
When the player has 300 or less max health and/or 10 or less defense:
- "You are far too weak to defeat my curse. Come back when you aren't so worthless."
- "You pathetic fool. You cannot hope to face my master as you are now."
- "I hope you have like six friends standing around behind you."
- "Please, no, stranger. You'll only get yourself killed."
When the player has more than 300 max health and more than 10 defense:
- "Stranger, do you possess the strength to defeat my master?"
- "You just might be strong enough to free me from my curse..."
- "Please! Battle my captor and free me! I beg you!"
- "Defeat my master, and I will grant you passage into the Dungeon."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Other NPCs will "interact" with the Old Man and engage in conversations.
- He is the only NPC that will not defend himself and is not damaged by enemies. He also cannot be drowned.
- He is one of only two friendly NPCs that does not have a map icon, the other being the Skeleton Merchant . However, he does appear as a white dot similar to an enemy.
- Upon summoning Skeletron, the Old Man dies, which makes it seem as if he turns into Skeletron.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.0.5: The Old Man now warns players before transforming into Skeletron at night.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.