We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Old One's Army
|Desktop-Only Content: This information applies only to the desktop version of Terraria.|
|Progress bar icon|
The Old One's Army is a unique Dungeon Defenders 2 crossover event that can be triggered by placing an Eternia Crystal on the Eternia Crystal Stand. There are three versions (Tiers) of the event, the second and third of which are triggered by defeating a Mechanical Boss and Golem respectively.
Once the Eternia Crystal is placed, and after a 5-second countdown, the objective is to protect the Eternia Crystal NPC from waves of enemies seeking to destroy it. If the Crystal is destroyed, the event terminates. If it is kept "alive" until all waves are cleared, the event is defeated. The event is considered cleared once the final boss of each Tier is defeated, regardless of how many enemies are left at that point. The "cleared" status is indicated by white light surrounding the Crystal, as well as a change in music, by which point the event is considered won even if enemies then proceed to touch the Crystal or if the player dies.
This event makes use of a unique currency called Defender Medals, which are dropped by the Eternia Crystal after its later waves are cleared. Defender Medals are used to purchase special corresponding weapons and armor from the Tavernkeep NPC.
This event can be exceptionally difficult, not only due to the toughness of its enemies but because of the various anti-cheat/exploit methods it employs. The terrain requirements for summoning the event, and the Creative Shock debuff, prevent most of the usual arena tricks. The enemies are not moved by Teleporters, and they don't take damage from Lava. Even if one manages to circumvent the Creative Shock debuff by using items like the Ice Rod to place blocks, enemies enter a ghost-like state wherein they can phase through any blocks obstructing their path to the Crystal.
Summoning[edit | edit source]
An Eternia Crystal Stand must be placed, and then an Eternia Crystal must be placed on it by right-clicking the stand with a Crystal in the player's inventory. Both the Crystal and its Stand are purchased from the Tavernkeep NPC for coins. The Tavernkeep can be found randomly in a world after the Eater of Worlds or the Brain of Cthulhu has been defeated.
Arena requirements[edit | edit source]
The minimum distance required at each side to start the event is 61 blocks, measured from the center of the stand, however the portals will spawn further away given the space, up to 120 blocks away, and a minimum of 10 blocks between the floor and the ceiling (if there is one). If this distance requirement is not met, the Crystal will not be placed successfully, and a status message appears informing the player that the surface is inadequate.
You can build up to a height of three blocks before the blocks are considered as obstructing the necessary space.
Platforms and Actuated blocks that you go through when moving over will not count as flat space, but blocks with actuators on them that are solid will count and can be actuated after the event has started.
Anti-cheat mechanisms[edit | edit source]
To discourage complex arenas:
- The Creative Shock debuff prevents placing or mining blocks during the event. It also prevents using buckets to add or remove liquids.
- Blocks: Old One's Army monsters are able to go to a "ghostly" state where they go through blocks. They start in that state when they spawn, and they will go back to it if at any point there are no direct passage between them and you. For example, if you go to a tunnel below the arena, they will fall through the blocks to invade the tunnel. (This method can actually be exploited to make them unable to damage the crystal.)
- Teleporter: the invaders are not affected by teleporters, so you cannot use such mechanisms to prevent them from moving towards the crystal.
- Lava: the invaders take no damage from lava.
- Traps: they work; however they are less efficient than sentries, and in fact traps will make the sentries less effective (since traps give invincibility frames to the monsters when they hit them, while sentries don't). Traps can still be used to soften up enemies a bit, but they should only be used in areas out of reach of sentries. It's generally better to place sentries all along the enemies' path and ignore traps altogether.
Things that are still possible:
- Actuators can be used to transform the arena after the event has started. Keep in mind that walls can result in the monsters simply going through, but it is possible to protect the crystal from projectiles this way.
- Ice Rod can place temporary ice.
- Sandgun can place sand.
- Explosives can destroy blocks.
- Hoiks can be used to some extent to fling Etherian Mana your way; however, due to the way the game works you can only hoik Etherian Mana to the right. It's also not entirely effective as the between-wave timer usually allows you enough time to pick it all up anyway. But: they can also be used to hoik the crystal itself. if you make a hoik-loop where the crystal circles around, then it's pretty much invincible. However, this is most likely considered cheating from most players.
- Conveyor Belts can also be used to transport Etherian Mana towards the center, and unlike hoiks they work in both directions.
- Dirt Rods can be used, but mainly for dirt arenas. You can move the dirt to allow more obstacles for the enemies, even while the event is still going on.
Waves[edit | edit source]
The event consists of a set number of waves, with each wave becoming progressively more difficult (see wave chart). At the end of each wave, there is a 30-second countdown to the next wave, signified by a timer appearing over the Eternia Crystal.
The event comes in three possible tiers, depending on game progression when the event is triggered:
- Tier 1 consists of five waves, with one or more Dark Mages serving as a mini-boss in the final wave. Tier 1 happens when the event is triggered before any Mechanical Bosses have been defeated in Hardmode. The final wave will not end until a Dark Mage is defeated, which will then finish the event. Completing Tier 1 awards 5 Defender Medals in total.
- Tier 2 consists of seven waves, with one or more Ogres serving as a mini-boss in the final wave. The Dark Mage will not appear in this tier. Tier 2 happens when the event is triggered in Hardmode worlds after at least one Mechanical Boss has been defeated. The final wave will not end until an Ogre is defeated, which will then complete the event. Completing Tier 2 awards 25 Defender Medals in total.
- Tier 3 consists of seven waves, with the boss Betsy spawning in the final wave. The Dark Mage and Ogre will also spawn during the previous three waves. Tier 3 happens when the event is triggered after the Golem has been defeated. Tier 3 is won as soon as Betsy is defeated. Completing Tier 3 awards 100 Defender Medals in total. In Expert Mode worlds, an additional bonus of 30-49 Defender Medals is dropped by Betsy's Treasure Bag.
In addition to the bosses, the regular enemies also differ with each invasion Tier, with stronger statistics and a more menacing appearance as higher tiers are unlocked.
Defender Medals and Sentries[edit | edit source]
The completion of each wave, beginning with the third, awards the player Defender Medals, a special currency used to purchase items from the Tavernkeep NPC that can help players defeat future Old One's Armies. Among them are special sentry summon weapons, which are fueled by Etherian Mana, a resource that drops only during this event. Etherian Mana allows multiple sentry minions to remain placed simultaneously and permanently until the event is over, with more Etherian Mana allowing more sentries to be placed. All Etherian Mana disappears once the event is over, whether uncollected or within the player's inventory.
Each sentry type available from the Tavernkeep (Flameburst, Explosive Trap, Lightning Aura, Ballista) comes in three different tiers: Rod, Cane, and Staff, with the Staff being the most expensive and the most powerful.
Before the event is completed successfully at least once, the Tavernkeep's sentry weapons will only function during the Old One's Army event, and will not function outside of it. Once the event is completed successfully in a world, the weapons can then be used outside the event.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Several enemies also drop pets, vanity items, and powerful weapons and accessories. All enemy banners dropped during this event are non-functional, and do not provide the player with any of the usual defense or damage boosts that other enemy banners provide.
Enemies will not drop biome-specific drops, such as Biome Keys, or coins, even when wearing the Lucky Coin or its derivatives. They also do not drop Presents during Christmas, nor Goodie Bags during Halloween.
Content[edit | edit source]
Eternia Crystal (NPC)
|Max Life|| T1: 1000|
|Defense|| T1: 14|
|Debuff tooltip||You have lost the power of Creation!|
|Old One's Army|
After Killing One Mechanical Boss:
From Dark Mage:
From Eternia Crystal (NPC):
Wave chart[edit | edit source]
|Pre-Mechanical Boss (T1)||After Killing One Mechanical Boss (T2)||Post-Golem (T3)|
|Enemy||Wave 1||Wave 2||Wave 3||Wave 4||Wave 5||Wave 6||Wave 7|
|Etherian Goblin Bomber|
|Etherian Javelin Thrower|
|Etherian Lightning Bug|
|Defender Medal Reward||1||1||1||1||3||3||3||11||6||25||15||60|
Equipment chart[edit | edit source]
The Old One's Army event brings associated equipment. The armor and sentry weapons are available from the Tavernkeep in exchange for Defender Medals, while other weapons and accessories are dropped by event enemies.
|Class||Sentries||Tier 2 Armor||Tier 3 Armor||Tier 2 Weapon||Tier 3 Weapon||Accessory|
||Apprentice||Dark Artist||Tome of Infinite Wisdom||Betsy's Wrath||Apprentice's Scarf|
||Huntress||Red Riding||Phantom Phoenix||Aerial Bane||Huntress's Buckler|
||Monk||Shinobi Infiltrator||Sleepy Octopod / Ghastly Glaive||Sky Dragon's Fury||Monk's Belt|
||Squire||Valhalla Knight||Brand of the Inferno||Flying Dragon||Squire's Shield|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Eternia Crystal regenerates its health very slowly when not taking damage.
- Bringing a Mechanical Boss summoning item to a pre-Hardmode world and vanquishing one will still only produce Tier 1 of the invasion.
- Traps like Spiky Ball Traps or Super Dart Traps can do a small amount of damage to the Eternia Crystal.
- At the start of the 7th wave at T3, Betsy will spawn off screen on the ground instead of the mysterious portals.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Because of the Creative Shock debuff, any building work to prepare the arena must be completed before. It is not possible to place or remove blocks or furniture while the event is happening, not even between waves.
- If you are just starting a pre-mechanical boss world, and you have found the Tavernkeep, the first item you should buy is the Lightning Aura Rod, because if you place two lightning auras next to each portal, it is impossible for any enemy except the Dark Mage to get through the auras. Note that this only works in T1 (pre-Mechanical Boss).
- If you are doing all 3 tiers of the event, it is recommended to save up 25 defender medals from doing Tier 1 before defeating a mechanical boss and moving to Tier 2. That way, you'll be able to buy a Tier 2 sentry summon weapon before attempting to do the Tier 2 version of the event. Attempting to defeat the Tier 2 event with only Tier 1 equipment puts you at a significant disadvantage. Saving up enough defender medals from Tier 2 to buy some Tier 3 gear once it becomes available is recommended for the same reason.
- There are a few sentry summoning weapons not sold by the Tavernkeep: the Queen Spider Staff, the Staff of the Frost Hydra, the Rainbow Crystal Staff, and the Lunar Portal Staff. These are quite useful, because they use regular mana rather than Eternian mana, so using them enables you to have more sentries placed than would otherwise be possible. The Lunar Portal can also easily kill flying enemies, allowing you to focus on ground enemies. The armor sold by the Tavernkeep will increase how many of these sentries you can summon at one time.
- If you are in a Hardmode world but have yet to defeat a mechanical boss, you can easily farm the event with a Blessed Apple or Ancient Horn mount. Simply run back and forth. The damage the mounts do while charging will one-hit kill all enemies besides the Dark Mage.
- Endgame strategies: A maxed out Summoner with 11 Stardust Cell Staff minions and a Legendary Star Wrath can finish the event through wave 6 trivially. Wave 7 requires a lot of dodging, but the boss will probably die before it destroys the crystal. The S.D.M.G. with Luminite Bullets, or the Phantasm with Luminite Arrows, are also very useful. Other useful endgame items: Last Prism, Shadowbeam Staff, Snowman Cannon, Toxic Flask, Meowmere, Spore Sac, Staff of Earth, Scutlix mount
- Keep the area above the lanes clear, as flying enemies will phase right through the ceiling anyway; blocks in the way only serve to make them unreachable by player attacks.
- Players can use a one-block thick ceiling to their advantage, however, as it allows air enemies to be targeted by dedicated elevated towers, where they are more likely to score hits.
- Platform blocks can support sentry summons, by using free-standing platforms, you can elevate your turrets without blocking off your own attacks.
- If you use the Clinger Staff, it can act as a barrier. Combined with a single Lightning Aura sentry, it can take down one side of the army until around Wave 4.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If you look closely, the Eternia Crystal slowly develops cracks as it gets more damaged.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Old Ones at Dungeon Defenders 2 Wiki
History[edit | edit source]
- 188.8.131.52: Hotfixes to bugs regarding the invasion.
- 1.3.4: Introduced.
|Random Events||Rain • Slime Rain • Blood Moon • Sandstorm • Solar Eclipse|
|Summoned Events||Goblin Army • Frost Legion • Pirate Invasion • Solar Eclipse • Pumpkin Moon • Frost Moon • Martian Madness • Lunar Events • Party • Old One's Army|
|Seasonal Events||Chinese New Year • Valentine's Day • St. Patrick's Day • Easter • Oktoberfest • Thanksgiving • Halloween • Christmas|