|Damage||24 / 28 (Ranged)|
|Use time||48 (Extremely slow)|
|Velocity||14 (not affected by ammo)|
- Onyx Blaster
The Onyx Blaster is a Hardmode ranged weapon that fires a spread of 4 bullets while only consuming one unit of ammunition, and a single dark energy projectile that explodes upon impact with an enemy or a block, or after traveling for 0.67 seconds (about 36 tiles). The explosive projectile does 48 base damage, twice the listed damage of the weapon.
Its best modifier is Unreal.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Onyx Blaster is a particularly effective weapon for the point in the game at which it can be acquired. Its ingredients are not hard to farm, and it can be used to good effect in much of the early Hardmode content, being an excellent candidate against the mechanical bosses and even being capable of holding its own against later bosses such as the Golem and Duke Fishron.
- It can one-shot many common hardmode enemies, and the explosion is particularly devastating against worms, being capable of one-shotting anything up to and including a Dune Splicer.
- The Onyx Blaster pairs well with Ichor Bullets, as the bullets will hit before the onyx blast, lowering an enemy's defense and therefore enhancing the blast's damage. For enemies that are immune to debuffs, such as the Destroyer, Explosive Bullets may be a more suitable choice.
- This is useful during a Solar Eclipse. Attaching oneself to a tall structure and firing down would render most of the enemies easy to kill.
- Using a combination of this weapon, the Megashark, and the Endless Musket Pouch could be helpful in maximizing crowd control.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Onyx is a mineral commonly found around the world.
- Despite being named Onyx Blaster, no onyx is used to craft the weapon, nor does onyx exist in Terraria.
- This is one of a small "set" of weapons made with two Shards apiece, the other members being the Sky Fracture and the Dao of Pow. Their recipes, names and appearances link the weapons to themes of Darkness, Light, and Balance, with the Onyx Blaster representing Darkness. The set also includes one weapon for each of the three "classic" damage types (melee, magic, and ranged), where the Onyx Blaster is the ranged weapon.
- It is one of two firearms in Terraria to feature an operating secondary weapon, the other being the Vortex Beater.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.4.1:
- Damage decreased from 28 to 24.
- Use time increased from 45 to 48.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Fixed frame drops related to the Onyx Blaster.
- Desktop 1.3.3: Introduced.
- Console 1.17: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.1096.2: Introduced.
- Mobile 22.214.171.124.0: Introduced.
References[edit | edit source]