The Onyx Blaster is a Hardmode ranged weapon that is a direct upgrade to the Shotgun. It can be crafted before defeating any of the Mechanical Bosses.
Like the Shotgun, it fires a spread of 4 bullets, but it also fires a single dark energy projectile that explodes upon impact with an enemy or a block, or after traveling 36 tiles.
The explosive projectile does twice the listed damage of the weapon.
Its best Modifier is Unreal.
The Onyx Blaster in action.
- The Onyx Blaster is good for ranger players during early stages of Hardmode due to its availability and excellent crowd-control capabilities. The size of the dark energy blast makes it especially adept at hitting large targets.
- The Onyx Blaster is very easy to get, requiring a small amount of farming in a corrupt/crimson desert for shards, corruption/crimson caverns for souls, and a Shotgun, which can easily be purchased from the Arms Dealer.
- A great combination with this weapon is to use ichor bullets because the bullets go in front of the dark energy blast; they lower the enemy defense and then explode, doing a large amount of damage.
- This weapon can take on mechanical bosses with comparable efficiency to the Megashark, however it has an explosive (also known as area of effect) blast. The dark shot will explode and deal damage to surrounding boss pieces. It is especially potent against The Destroyer.
- When paired with Crystal Bullets, the Onyx Blaster can shoot 13 projectiles (each bullet projectile will break into 3).
- The weapon is not only incredibly powerful for how early the player can acquire it, but also very versatile, with crowd control, velocity, and pure dps.
A close up of the onyx blast.
- Onyx is a mineral commonly found in America.
- It's possible that the name and appearance are a reference to the Onyx Roses from Bayonetta, since the weapons have similar appearances, both reference Onyx in their names and both are shotgun type weapons.
- This is one of a small "set" of weapons made with two Shards apiece, the other members being the Sky Fracture and the Dao of Pow. Their recipes, names and appearances link the weapons to themes of Darkness, Light, and Balance, with the Onyx Blaster representing Darkness. The set also includes one weapon for each of the three "classic" damage types (melee, magic, and ranged), where the Onyx Blaster is the ranged weapon.