| Desktop-Only Content: This information (or parts of it) applies only to the desktop version of Terraria.
The Onyx Blaster is a Hardmode ranged weapon that is a direct upgrade to the Shotgun. It can be crafted before defeating any of the Mechanical Bosses.
Like the Shotgun, it fires a spread of 4 bullets, but it also fires a single dark energy projectile that explodes upon impact with an enemy or a block, or after traveling 36 tiles.
The explosive projectile does twice the listed damage of the weapon.
Its best Modifier is Unreal.
The Onyx Blaster in action.
- The Onyx Blaster is good for ranger players during early stages of Hardmode due to its availability and excellent crowd-control capabilities. The size of the dark energy blast makes it especially adept at hitting large targets.
- The Onyx Blaster is very easy to get, requiring a small amount of farming in a corrupt/crimson desert for shards, corruption/crimson caverns for souls, and a Shotgun, which can easily be purchased from the Arms Dealer.
- A great combination with this weapon is to use ichor bullets because the bullets go in front of the dark energy blast, they lower the enemy defense and then explode, doing a great amount of damage.
- This weapon can take on mechanical bosses with comparable difficulty to the Megashark, however it has an explosive (also known as area of effect) blast. The dark shot will explode and deal damage to surrounding boss pieces. It is especially potent against The Destroyer.
- When paired with Crystal Bullets, the Onyx Blaster can shoot 13 projectiles (each bullet projectile will break into 3).
- The weapon is not only incredibly powerful for how early the player can acquire it, but also very versatile, with crowd control, velocity, and straight dps.
A close up of the onyx blast.
- Onyx is a mineral commonly found in America.
- Its counterparts are the Sky Fracture and the Dao of Pow. All three of these weapons require two shards along with Souls of Light and/or Souls of Night. Together, these weapons represent the three primary damage types: melee, magic, and ranged.
- They also represent light, dark, and balance.