Join The Fan Lab, a private Fandom research community for users in the US and UK where you will be asked to share your opinions on all things gaming and entertainment! Click here to see if you qualify
|Use time||45 (Very slow)|
|Velocity||14 (not affected by ammo)|
- Onyx Blaster
Similar to the Shotgun, it fires a spread of 4 bullets while only consuming one unit of ammunition, but it also fires a single dark energy projectile that explodes upon impact with an enemy or a block, or after traveling 36 tiles. The explosive projectile does twice the listed damage of the weapon.
Its best modifier is Unreal.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Onyx Blaster is a particularly effective weapon for the point in the game at which it can be acquired. It is not especially hard to farm, and can be used to good effect in much of the early Hardmode content, being an excellent candidate against the Mechanical Bosses and even being capable of holding its own against later bosses such as the Golem and Duke Fishron.
- The Onyx Blaster pairs well with Ichor Bullets, as the bullets will land before the onyx blast, lowering an enemy's defense and therefore enhancing the Onyx Blast's damage. For enemies that are immune to debuffs, such as the Destroyer, Explosive Bullets may be a more suitable choice.
- This is useful during a Solar Eclipse. Attaching oneself to a tall structure and firing down would render most of the enemies easy to kill.
- Using a combination of this weapon, the Megashark, and the Endless Musket Pouch could be helpful in maximizing crowd control.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Onyx is a mineral commonly found around the world.
- This is one of a small "set" of weapons made with two Shards apiece, the other members being the Sky Fracture and the Dao of Pow. Their recipes, names and appearances link the weapons to themes of Darkness, Light, and Balance, with the Onyx Blaster representing Darkness. The set also includes one weapon for each of the three "classic" damage types (melee, magic, and ranged), where the Onyx Blaster is the ranged weapon.
- Despite being named Onyx Blaster, no Onyx is used to craft the weapon, nor does Onyx exist in the game.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Fixed frame drops related to the Onyx Blaster.
- Desktop 1.3.3: Introduced.
- Console 1.17: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.1096.2: Introduced.