|Knockback||2 (Very weak)|
|Use time||36 (Very slow)|
|Tooltip||Summons twins to fight for you|
The Optic Staff is an aerial ranged and melee Hardmode summon weapon that summons a miniature version of The Twins in their second form, which follow the player and attack enemies. The summoned pair of characters, named Spazmamini and Retinamini, attack via a melee and ranged laser attack, respectively; similar to the behavior of The Twins boss. Like other minions, the summoned Twins are invincible and follow the player for an unlimited amount of time, unless the player dies, exits the world, summons a replacement minion, or cancels the buff.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only lasting advantage a Mythical Optic Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- One pair of Twins counts as one minion toward the maximum minion count.
- Therefore, a player can get 22 "minions" with maximum minion capacity, as opposed to the usual 11 full sized minions or 14 spiders.
- Retinamini's laser projectiles travel straight forward, so they may miss against fast or far away enemies. They also emit a small amount of light.
- Due to their piercing attacks, the Twins can only hit the same enemy a maximum of 6 times per second, regardless of how many Twins are summoned (this applies to all weapons and summons that pierce enemies except the Razorblade Typhoon at 10 hits/s).
- It is possible to get non matching amounts of Retinaminis and Spazmaminis by maxing the spawn cap and lowering it. Prior to 1.4, It was also possible to get an odd amount by summoning spiders with the Spider Staff after summoning the Twins, since the spiders only would count as 0.75 of a minion.
- The Optic Staff will typically do about half of the Spider Staff's DPS making it the inferior choice in a lot of situations.
- Unlike most flying minions, the Twins will not naturally pass through blocks unless the player has moved out of range. This makes them very prone to getting stuck in tight areas and caves.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Optic Staff is effective against bosses, as each Twin attacks individually. It is especially effective against The Destroyer, as the Spazmamini will pierce each segment.
- The Twins do not do well against a sparse enemy crowd. Instead, they are better for dense enemy crowds such as those in the Pumpkin Moon, Frost Moon, and Goblin army, as well as in the Dungeon.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The icon indicating that game data is saving on the resembles the Optic Staff minions, except it resembles more the first stage of a Retinazer, instead of the second, mechanized stage. version
- Unlike the Twins boss, the minions are not connected by a tendril. Furthermore, Spazmamini does not spew Cursed Flames like Spazmatism does.
- There is an occurrence when using the Optic Staff where only one or two Retinamini will remain with the player, while one Spazmamini (or vice versa) will be left behind due to obstacles. This bug is more likely to happen when the player is crossing some obstacles that the minions cannot. This can be fixed by removing the minions and spawn them again.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Added requirement of 10 mana.
- Fixed bug where Twin Minion pairs could become uneven or re-summoning would fail.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Introduced.
- Console 1.07: Introduced, requires 10 mana.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced, requires 10 mana.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Introduced, requires 10 mana.