|Use time||37 (Very slow)|
|Tooltip||'It might be broken'|
The Orange Zapinator is a Hardmode magic weapon purchased from the Traveling Merchant for
500000*50. Unlike the Zapinator, the Orange Zapinator does not autofire. Meteor armor's set bonus will reduce the mana cost of the Orange Zapinator (and Gray Zapinator) to 0, although the stated mana cost will not change.
This content is transcluded from Gray Zapinator.The laser beam behaves very erratically. Upon striking an enemy, the projectile slows down by 40% and decreases its current damage and knockback by 10%. Additionally, it can do any of the following:
|Disable tile collision (i.e., gain the ability to move through blocks)
Teleport up to 16 tiles left or right
|Disable tile collision
Teleport up to 16 tiles up or down
|Disable tile collision|
|Move the projectile backwards along the current trajectory up to 39 ticks
(i.e., teleport to the location that would normally only be reached after reversing direction and waiting up to 39 ticks, or 0.65 seconds)
|Shift direction slightly to the right of the screen|
|Shift direction slightly to the bottom of the screen|
|Multiply current knockback by 10|
|Multiply current damage by 10|
|Teleport up to 4 tiles left or right|
|Teleport up to 4 tiles up or down|
|Mirror trajectory vertically|
|Mirror trajectory horizontally|
|Slow down to between 0.05% and 10% of the current velocity
(applied after the general 40% velocity decrease per hit)
These effects are applied in the given order. While it is possible for a projectile to trigger all of them at once upon hitting an enemy, it is also possible that none of them are triggered.
The laser beam will disappear after hitting eight enemies or after 60 seconds.
Its best modifier is Mythical.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The damage increase effect can also apply to critical hits.
- Because the Orange Zapinator gains effects on hit, following hits can give the same beam new effects, which can lead to stacked damage modifiers. This is why some beams can hit over 30000 damage.
- An enemy is only capable of being hit by the front of a fired beam, meaning if an enemy were to collide with the center or tail end of a slow moving beam, it would take no damage.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Orange Zapinator is somewhat unsafe to use near the Dungeon after killing Golem, as the unpredictable lasers may aggravate the Cultists and potentially spawn the Lunatic Cultist.
- The slower beams that often appear can be extremely useful in boss fights with larger, slower moving targets such as Plantera.
- Due to its high damage and easy accessibility, it can be extremely useful in early Hardmode events and biomes, especially when paired with armor that boosts magic power.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Zapinator's name and sprite resemble the NES Zapper, an electronic light gun accessory for the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).
- The erratic behavior of the projectiles along with the tooltip, 'It might be broken', are most likely references to the fact that NES Zappers were inconsistent when used in their respective light gun games on the NES.
- Despite its low rarity, it can be a very effective weapon throughout early Hardmode, given the luck required to benefit from the projectiles' behavior.
- The Zapinator was first introduced on the Desktop-Release to instantly kill enemies for testing purposes, and it was removed with the 1.0.1 version. Later on, the item was added to the . The Zapinator was re-introduced to the version Desktop version as Gray Zapinator and Orange Zapinator in 220.127.116.11.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Introduced.
References[edit | edit source]
- Information taken from the Desktop 22.214.171.124 source code, method
- A tick is a time unit countable by the software. Most of Terraria's updating logic happens every tick. A tick has the length of 1/60th of a second, hence there are 60 ticks in a second and 3600 ticks in a minute.
- The teleportations will not take effect if the new location is within blocks and the projectile is incapable of moving through blocks.