|Use time||37 (Very slow)|
|Tooltip||'It might be broken'|
- This article is about the Hardmode magic weapon. For the -exclusive magic weapon, see versionZapinator. For the pre-Hardmode variant, see Gray Zapinator.
The Orange Zapinator is a Hardmode magic weapon that is sold by the Traveling Merchant for
500000*50. It fires a long light blue beam, which, upon impact with enemies, activates a random effect. These effects are the same as those of the Gray Zapinator's effects.
The Orange Zapinator's projectiles also behave erratically. Upon striking an enemy, the laser beam can do one of the following:
- Pierce the enemy
- Change speed, either accelerating dramatically or coming to a near-complete stop
- Teleport to a new location
- Change orientation
- Create another beam
- Deal massive knockback (enough to launch enemies offscreen)
- Deal massive damage (enough to one-shot some bosses)
Its best modifier is Mythical.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The damage increase effect of the Orange Zapinator's lasers can be a critical hit, meaning the Orange Zapinator is capable of extremely high damage.
- The Orange Zapinator is somewhat unsafe to use near the Dungeon after killing Golem, as the unpredictable lasers may aggravate the Cultists and potentially spawn the Lunatic Cultist.
- Because of the Orange Zapinator gaining its effect on hit, if the first hit gains piercing, the following hits can give the same beam new effects. This can lead to stacked damage modifiers. This is why some beams can hit over 30000 damage.
- An enemy is only capable of being hit by the front of a fired beam, meaning if an enemy were to collide with the center or tail end of a slow moving beam, it would take no damage.
- The slower beams that often appear can be extremely useful in boss fights with larger, slower moving targets such as Plantera.
- Due to its high damage and easy accessibility, it can be extremely useful in early Hardmode events and biomes, especially when paired with armor that boosts magic power.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Zapinator's name and sprite resemble the NES Zapper, an electronic light gun accessory for the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).
- The erratic behavior of the projectiles along with the tooltip, 'It might be broken', are most likely references to the fact that NES Zappers were inconsistent when used in their respective light gun games on the NES.
- The tooltip "It might be broken" may also be a reference to how unbalanced it is, as it can be obtained extremely early in hardmode and it has a chance to do ridiculous amounts of damage.
- The Zapinator was first introduced on the Desktop release to instantly kill enemies for testing purposes. However it was removed with the 1.0.1 version. Later on, the item was added to the 3DS version. The Zapinator was re-introduced to the Desktop version as a Gray Zapinator and an Orange Zapinator along with the 184.108.40.206 version.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Introduced.