|AI Type||Passive AI|
|Damage||81214›101517 (Paintball Gun) |
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 227
- There is an empty house.
- 8 ( ) / 4 () other town NPCs are in the world. Note that while the Old Man and Traveling Merchant count towards this total, the Skeleton Merchant does not.
On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, the Painter will attack nearby enemies with his Paintball Gun to defend himself, dealing 8 / 12 / 14 damage in Pre-Hardmode (increasing to 10 / 15 / 17 damage in Hardmode), and (on the Desktop version) as players progress he will gain various stat increases.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
|Paint Roller||1||Always available.|
|Paint Scraper||1||Always available.|
|Red Paint||25||Always available.|
|Orange Paint||25||Always available.|
|Yellow Paint||25||Always available.|
|Lime Paint||25||Always available.|
|Green Paint||25||Always available.|
|Teal Paint||25||Always available.|
|Cyan Paint||25||Always available.|
|Sky Blue Paint||25||Always available.|
|Blue Paint||25||Always available.|
|Purple Paint||25||Always available.|
|Violet Paint||25||Always available.|
|Pink Paint||25||Always available.|
|Black Paint||25||Always available.|
|Gray Paint||25||Always available.|
|White Paint||25||Always available.|
|Brown Paint||25||Always available.|
|Shadow Paint||50||In Hardmode.|
|Negative Paint||75||In Hardmode.|
|Illuminant Paint||2||While in Graveyard.|
|Any Pylon||10||When in a specific biome and is happy enough.|
|First Encounter||1||During the following moon phases:|
|Good Morning||1||During the following moon phases:|
|Underground Reward||1||During the following moon phases:|
|Through the Window||1||During the following moon phases:|
|Deadland Comes Alive||1||While in Crimson.|
|Lightless Chasms||1||While in Corruption.|
|The Land of Deceiving Looks||1||While in Hallow.|
|Do Not Step on the Grass||1||While in Jungle.|
|Cold Waters in the White Land||1||While in Snow Biome.|
|Secret of the Sands||1||While in Desert.|
|Evil Presence||1||During a Blood Moon.|
|Place Above the Clouds||1||While in Space.|
|Sky Guardian||1||Hardmode, while in Space.|
|Nevermore||1||While in a Graveyard.|
|Reborn||1||While in a Graveyard.|
|Graveyard (Painting)||1||While in a Graveyard.|
|Ghost Manifestation||1||While in a Graveyard.|
|Wicked Undead||1||While in a Graveyard.|
|Bloody Goblet||1||While in a Graveyard.|
|Still Life||1||While in a Graveyard.|
|Bubble Wallpaper||1||Always available.|
|Copper Pipe Wallpaper||1||Always available.|
|Ducky Wallpaper||1||Always available.|
|Fancy Gray Wallpaper||1||Always available.|
|Ice Floe Wallpaper||1||Always available.|
|Music Wallpaper||1||Always available.|
|Purple Rain Wallpaper||1||Always available.|
|Rainbow Wallpaper||1||Always available.|
|Sparkle Stone Wallpaper||1||Always available.|
|Starlit Heaven Wallpaper||1||Always available.|
|Christmas Tree Wallpaper||1||Only during Christmas.|
|Candy Cane Wallpaper||1||Only during Christmas.|
|Stars Wallpaper||1||Only during Christmas.|
|Snowflake Wallpaper||1||Only during Christmas.|
|Bluegreen Wallpaper||1||Only during Christmas.|
|Ornament Wallpaper||1||Only during Christmas.|
|Festive Wallpaper||1||Only during Christmas.|
|Squiggles Wallpaper||1||Only during Christmas.|
|Krampus Horn Wallpaper||1||Only during Christmas.|
|Grinch Finger Wallpaper||1||Only during Christmas.|
Living preferences [edit | edit source]
For more information, see NPC happiness.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- An NPC's shop window can display a maximum of 39 items. During Christmas, the number of items the Painter can sell at once increases above 39, which can push some items off the bottom of the shop window, making them technically unobtainable during Christmas. Assuming the Painter is in a pre-Hardmode world and talked to in a Forest biome, the Sparkle Stone Wallpaper and Starlit Heaven Wallpaper will be affected by this. More wallpapers will become unavailable, going up the list, if the world is in Hardmode or the Painter is talked to in different biomes.
- On the , the painting tools and paint he would normally sell are unavailable, due to the general unavailability of paint on this version. version
Tips[edit | edit source]
- It is possible to use Teleporters or the King Statue to teleport him to different biomes in order to obtain all of his paintings. Alternatively, one can change the biome he is currently staying in.
- Another method is to build a small House in each biome and wait until night. If an NPC is assigned to a House at night, and the player moves a screen away, they will suddenly pop into the House. After that simply backtrack to the House, buy the painting, and repeat in as many biomes as you would like.
- The Crimson and Corruption make this difficult due to House location requirements. The easiest way is to build valid housing on corruptible blocks such as dirt, stone or sand, then using the Clentaminator with the required evil solution to spray the area around the house till the Painter begins selling the painting. Once bought, you can use Green Solution to purify the area again. This can also work with the Hallow if you don't wish to move the Painter from their house, and can be done in pre-Hardmode with the Evil Powders.
Names[edit | edit source]
The Painter may have any of the following names:
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Interaction quotes[edit | edit source]
When Party Girl is present:
During a Party:
During Rain :
During a Thunderstorm:
During a Windy Day:
When in a Graveyard:
Happiness quotes [edit | edit source]
When far from home:
When in a sparse area:
When in the Jungle:
When in a Forest:
When near the Dryad:
When near the Party Girl:
When near the Cyborg:
When near the Truffle:
When near the Princess:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is apparent that most of his names are references to famous artists.
- He is most likely of Italian origin, considering most of his names are typical Italian names.
- Two of the names, Mario and Luigi, are the two main characters of the Super Mario Brothers video games.
- The name Darren is a reference to a letter sent to Red by a person whose friend named Darren passed away. Red then put Darren in the pool of possible painter names.
- The quote "I'm all out of titanium white, so don't even ask." is a direct reference to the American painter, art instructor, and television host Bob Ross.
- His quote "No, no, no... There's TONS of different grays! Don't get me started..." may be a reference to the novel Fifty Shades of Grey.
- The quote "When the thunder rolls, and the lightning strikes... it really brings out the colors on the furniture." may be a reference to the song The Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks.
- Like the Arms Dealer, Cyborg and Goblin Tinkerer, his quotes may reference him having a crush on a female NPC, in this case, the Dryad.
- The Painter was sprited by former Terraria spriter Waffles.
- The Painter is completely bald, as evidenced from the source files for NPCs without head wear.
- If the Painter is talked to in a converted Snow biome or Desert biome, he will sell two biome-exclusive paintings at once. For example: If the Painter is talked to in a Hallowed Desert, he will sell the paintings "The Land of Deceiving Looks" and "Secrets of the Sands" at once.
- Even with Blood and Gore turned off, his paintbrush and paint bucket will always drop when he dies, as if they were body parts.
- The name Guido may be a reference to the italian painter Guido Reni.
- The Bestiary entry for the Painter: "The Painter can talk about all the different shades of colors with which one can paint the walls. He'll sell but a handful of them!"
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Now has a chance to be named "Esreadel".
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Desktop 1.2.3: Now sells Brown Paint and various Wallpapers. Sells Shadow Paint and Negative Paint in Hardmode worlds.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
References[edit | edit source]