- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 227
The Painter is an NPC who sells Paint and painting Tools, as well as Paintings and Wallpaper. He will arrive after at least 7 other NPCs have been acquired, and a suitable House is available. The Old Man and Skeleton Merchant will not count towards the current NPC total. However, the Traveling Merchant will.
The paintings that the Painter has for sale change based on the biome he is living in, and based on the Moon phase. During the Christmas season, the Painter sells a variety of holiday-themed wallpaper. Note that for the biome requirement, all that is needed is that the Painter NPC be present in said biome, it is enough to move him there with a King Statue. This is especially useful for the Deadland and Chasms paintings since NPCs will not want to live in a corrupt environment, though it is still advised to at least create a safe room where the summoned NPCs will not be hassled by monsters or fall into chasms.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
Wallpaper[edit | edit source]
Names[edit | edit source]
The Painter may have the following names:
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "I'm all out of titanium white, so don't even ask."
- "I know the difference between turquoise and blue-green. But I won't tell you."
- "Try swirly pink and purple, it works, I swear!"
- "I hope it doesn't rain again until this paint dries. That would be a disaster!"
- "No, no, no... There's TONS of different grays! Don't get me started..."
When Party Girl is present:
- "Check out [Name of Party Girl]. Now that's a girl who can paint the town red!
During a Party
- "I tried having a paintball fight, but everyone wanted food and decorations instead."
- "Once you enter hallowed land, you will see a rainbow in the sky. I can help you with painting that if you want."
Notes[edit | edit source]
- An NPC's shop window can display a maximum of 39 items. During Christmas, the number of items the Painter can sell at once increases above 39, which can push some items off the bottom of the shop window, making them technically unobtainable during Christmas. Assuming the Painter is in a Pre-Hardmode world and living in a Forest Biome, the Sparkle Stone Wallpaper and Starlit Heaven Wallpaper will be affected by this. More wallpapers will become unavailable, going up the list, if the world is in Hardmode or the Painter is living in different Biomes.
- If the Painter lives in a converted snow Biome or a Desert Biome, he will sell two Biome exclusive paintings at once. For example: If the Painter lives in a Hallowed Desert, he will sell the Painting "The Land of Deceiving Looks" and "Secrets of the Sands" at once.
- Even with Blood and Gore off, his paintbrush and paint bucket will ALWAYS drop as if they were body parts.
- On the , the painting tools and paint he would normally sell are unavailable. version
- It is possible to use Teleporters or the King Statue to teleport him to different Biomes in order to obtain all of his paintings. Alternatively, you can change the biome he is currently staying in.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is apparent that most of his names are references to famous artists.
- Two of the names, Mario and Luigi, are the two main characters of the Super Mario Brothers video games.
- He is most likely Italian, considering most of his names are Italian.
- Sprited by former artist William "Waffles" Data.
- The name "Darren" is a reference to a letter sent to Red by a person whose friend "Darren" passed away. Red then put "Darren" in the pool of possible painter names.
- The name "Luigi" is a possible reference to Luigi Nono, who is a famous painter.
- The quote about being out of Titanium White is a direct reference to famous artist and television show host Bob Ross.
- Like the Arms Dealer, Cyborg and Goblin Tinkerer, his quotes may reference him having a crush on a female NPC, in this case, the Party Girl.
- His quote "No, no, no... There's TONS of different grays! Don't get me started..." may be a reference to the book Fifty Shades of Grey.
- The Painter is completely bald as evidenced from the source files for NPCs without head wear.
- The Painter's red shirt and white overalls could reference Mario in Super Mario Bros when he has the Fire Flower.
- The name "Leonardo" could be a reference to Leonardo da Vinci.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Desktop 1.2.3: Now sells Brown Paint and various Wallpapers. Sells Shadow Paint and Negative Paint in Hardmode worlds.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.