|AI Type||Fighter AI|
|Damage||100 / 200 (melee)|
120 / 180 (hammer)
|Max Life||5000 / 10000|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- 6.67% / 10%
- 9.33% / 13.56%
- Internal NPC ID: 290
Paladins are rare, resilient Hardmode enemies that spawn in the Dungeon after Plantera is defeated. They throw hammer projectiles rapidly that can pass through blocks and inflict extreme damage. Paladins are much more likely to spawn in Dungeon areas with Dungeon Brick Walls.
It is one of the few enemies that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Paladins are exceptionally tough enemies. Their projectile attack is unusually versatile for a non-boss enemy and inflicts extreme damage. A Paladin has more health than Skeletron, immunity to knockback, and as much defense as the Moon Lord and Duke Fishron (first form), making them difficult to kill and dangerous to try to slip past or ignore.
- Although Paladins have a visual height of 4 tiles, they can pass through 3 tile-tall corridors.
- Paladins cannot throw hammers while moving.
- On the Mobile version, Paladins are not immune to the Confused debuff.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- A Paladin's attack will be interrupted if it takes damage, with quickly firing weapons stopping it from attacking entirely.
- Most melee weapons are capable of hitting fast enough, although the Paladin's knockback immunity as well as other enemies may make this tough to pull off.
- Fast-firing ranged weapons can also be used, however, other enemies may get in the way, allowing the Paladin to attack. Consider using piercing or exploding shots.
- Magic weapons with piercing capabilities can be used to great effect. Notable examples are the Heat Ray, Nettle Burst, or Magical Harp. Once obtained, a Shadowbeam Staff can also be used.
- Summoning weapons are extremely capable of taking the Paladin out. On the desktop version, if the Paladin is targeted, the minions will almost always hit it fast enough to halt its attacks. The player can then focus on taking out other enemies and staying safe.
- A Piranha Gun can be used to easily take out the Paladin by latching on with the gun and running away.
- Another strategy is to create a small hole in the walls of the dungeon close enough so that the Paladin won't throw its hammers. From this safe spot, use a Scourge of the Corruptor, Nimbus Rod, Spectre Staff, or other weapons capable of hitting it through this opening.
- Paladins are less likely to target players outside their line-of-sight.
- Fighting it in smaller hallways is not recommended, as this leaves no room for dodging, and often leads to a quick death. If you were to fight a Paladin in a longer, two-way corridor, you may be able to kill the Paladin by continuously attacking as you back away from it. This can still be dangerous, though, as any additional enemies that sneak up from behind can worsen the situation.
- The damage taken from touching a Paladin is weaker than its thrown hammers, unless in Expert mode.
- The best way to kill a Paladin is to get him to go to the other side of a closed door and use a weapon that can travel through Blocks.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Paladin visibly holds the items that it drops: Paladin's Hammer and Paladin's Shield.
- The Paladin makes sounds identical to the Possessed Armor and has the same enemy type as Possessed Armor, implying that the paladin is actually just Possessed Armor, but with better armor and weapons.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Can now drop its own respective banner.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Drop chance of items reduced.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.