As part of the Unified Community Platform project, your wiki will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Read more here.
A Party is an event that can occur randomly, or be activated manually using a Party Center. Parties are mainly visual, having little functional effect on gameplay, with the exception of some exclusive vanity and novelty items available from the Clothier and Party Girl. A Party lasts until 7:30 PM, and if spawned randomly, begins at 4:30 AM.
A Party has a random
10*1/10 (10%) chance of occurring at any particular dawn ("thrown" by one to three NPCs), without the need for a placed Party Center. A Party will not occur randomly if a random party already occurred in the previous 5–10 days (the actual cooldown period is chosen at random when a natural Party initiates), but a Party can still be triggered manually via the Party Center during that time.
When NPCs throw a Party, any placed Party Center activates, a burst of confetti appears on each NPC, and a pink status message displays: "Looks like <NPC name>, <NPC name>, and <NPC name> are throwing a party". At its conclusion, the Party automatically deactivates with a puff of smoke on all NPCs and another pink status message: "Party time's over!". A Party can still be re-initiated manually afterward.
During a Party,
- all NPCs except the Tax Collector, Zoologist, Old Man, and Skeleton Merchant wear Party Hats, including town pets.
- balloons continually rise in the background,
- Bunnies also wear Party Hats (but drop only normal Bunnies when caught),
- the Clothier and Party Girl sell additional Party-exclusive novelty and vanity items, the Party Girl will give the player a Slice of Cake when spoken to, and
- most NPCs display unique quotes when spoken to.
Contents[edit | edit source]
NPC quotes[edit | edit source]
Most NPCs display unique quotes during Parties when spoken to:
|Angler||"What, you think I like parties because I am a kid? Well, you're right, so get to partying!"|
|Arms Dealer||"Parties are great for getting people to come out of their shell, just like with bullets."|
|Clothier||"Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can party on."|
|Cyborg||"This party is going to be nuts, maybe even bolts!"|
|Demolitionist||"You might want to be careful today. Us dwarves tend to have pretty explosive parties."|
|Dryad||"I thought I would throw a party to celebrate our victories in the past and those yet to come."|
|Dye Trader||"I truly love parties, so many beautiful colors and happy people."|
|Goblin Tinkerer||"Goblin parties are a lot like humans. They both have games like "Pin the Blame on the Human" er... I don't play that game at my parties."|
|Golfer||"I'm having trouble concentrating on this swing because of the obnoxious party going on around me."
"I hit a hole in one! That's a good reason for us all to celebrate. Time to put my club down and have a margarita."
|Guide||"Never been to a party before? You might want to check around with the others. People sometimes bring out special party favors."|
|Mechanic||"Do you think anyone would mind if I wired a cake with bulbs instead of candles?"|
|Merchant||"You know what would be the best way to party? Buying things for others, specifically from me."|
|Nurse||"No, I will not tell you how many candles are on my cake."|
|Painter||"I tried having a paintball fight, but everyone wanted food and decorations instead."|
|Party Girl||"Hmm? Nothing special today... just kidding! It's party time, and then it's after party time!"
"At last, my time has come!"
|Pirate||"After all that cake, you might have to call me White Beard for a while."|
|Santa Claus||"Come now, you didn't think I only celebrated on Christmas did you?"|
|Steampunker|| "Everyone said they like stacked cakes, so I installed smokestacks in mine."
"Everyone said they like stacked cakes, so I installed smokestacks in mine" (note the missing period)
|Stylist||"I may have gotten my hair done up just for today, but honestly, I just want to pop balloons with my scissors."|
|Tavernkeep|| "There's a party happening here! I had just wiped down the bar, too."
"You should sit down and have a little fun. Don't worry, I don't think any kobolds will crash this party."
|Traveling Merchant||"Many say that parties give you the richest of memories. So buy something and make this memory rich!"|
|Truffle||"I would have invited everyone to party in my home, but there's not mushroom."|
|Witch Doctor||"I wanted to see how your kind celebrate, I am not disappointed."|
|Wizard||"Clearly I throw the most magical of parties."|
|Zoologist||"So, uh, I can't wear the hat. Sorry. I'm still here for the party, no worries!"|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Parties affect all NPCs (except the Tax Collector, Old Man, and Skeleton Merchant), regardless of their location in the world.
- It is possible that only one or two NPCs throw a Party. The respective status messages in these cases are:
- "Looks like <NPC name> is throwing a party"
- "Looks like <NPC name> & <NPC name> are throwing a party"
- The background balloons effect wears off if the player is 47 tiles away from any Party Center or NPC.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The event was introduced to celebrate Terraria's 5th birthday, May 16, 2016.
- Prior to 220.127.116.11 and the addition of Lantern Nights and Meteor Showers, this was the only event that was peaceful, i.e. did not cause more enemies to spawn.
- Also prior to 18.104.22.168, the Party Girl was the only NPC to have two Party unique messages.
- Even though the Tax Collector does not wear a Party Hat or says anything related to Parties, he can still throw a Party.
- Parties are the only event that allow seeing the hair of some NPCs, most noticeably the Dye Trader.
- The Goblin Tinkerer's quote references "pin the tail on the donkey", a party game.
- Even though the Pirate's quote is on eating so much cake his beard is white, his beard in his sprite is the same color as always.
- The Truffle's quote is a joke on the words mushroom and much room.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Desktop 1.3.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.17: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.1096.2: Introduced.