Hmm? Nothing special today... just kidding! It's party time, and then it's after party time!
A Party is an event that can occur randomly, or be activated manually using a Party Center. Parties are mainly visual, having little functional effect on gameplay — with the exception of some exclusive vanity and novelty items available from the Clothier and Party Girl. A Party lasts until 7:30 PM, and if spawned randomly, begins at 4:30 AM.
A Party has a random 1/10 (10%) chance of occurring at any particular dawn ("thrown" by one to three NPCs), without the need for a placed Party Center. A Party will not occur randomly if a random party already occurred in the previous 5-10 days (the actual cooldown period is chosen at random when a natural party initiates), but a Party can still be triggered manually via the Party Center during that time.
When NPCs throw a Party, any placed Party Center activates, and a pink status message displays: "Looks like [NPC name], [NPC name] & [NPC name] are throwing a party." At its conclusion, the Party automatically deactivates with another pink status message: "Party time's over!" A Party can still be re-initiated manually afterward.
During a Party:
- All NPCs except the Tax Collector, Old Man, and Skeleton Merchant wear Party Hats.
- Balloons continually rise in the background.
- Bunnies also wear Party Hats (but drop only normal Bunnies when caught).
- The Clothier and Party Girl sell additional Party-exclusive novelty and vanity items.
- Most NPCs display unique quotes when spoken to.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
NPC quotes[edit | edit source]
Most NPCs display unique quotes during Parties when spoken to:
|"What, you think I like parties because I am a kid? Well, you're right, so get to partying!"|
|"Parties are great for getting people to come out of their shell, just like with bullets."|
|"Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can party on."|
|"This party is going to be nuts, maybe even bolts!"|
|"You might want to be careful today. Us dwarves tend to have pretty explosive parties."|
|"I thought I would throw a party to celebrate our victories in the past, and those yet to be had."|
|"I truly love parties, so many beautiful colors and happy people."|
|"Goblin parties are a lot like humans. They both have games like "Pin the Blame on the Human" er… I don't play that game at my parties."|
|"Never been to a party before? You might want to check around with the others. People sometimes bring out special party favors."|
|"Do you think anyone would mind if I wired a cake with bulbs instead of candles?"|
|"You know what would be the best way to party? Buying things for others, especially from me."|
|"No, I will not tell you how many candles are on my cake."|
|"I tried having a paintball fight, but everyone wanted food and decorations instead."|
|"Hmm? Nothing special today… just kidding! It's party time, and then it's after party time!"
"At last, my time has come!"
|"After all that cake, you might have to call me White Beard for a while."|
|"Come now, you didn't think I only celebrated on Christmas did you?"|
|"Everyone said they like stacked cakes, so I installed smokestacks in mine."|
|"I may have gotten my hair done up just for today, but honestly, I just wanted to pop balloons with my scissors."|
|"Many say that parties give you the richest of memories. So buy something and make this memory rich!"|
|"I would have invited everyone to party in my home, but there's not mushroom."|
|"I wanted to see how your kind celebrate, I am not disappointed."|
|"Clearly I throw the most magical of parties."|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Parties affect all NPCs (except the Tax Collector, Old Man, and Skeleton Merchant), regardless of their location in the world.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The event was created to celebrate Terraria's 5th birthday.
- This is the only event that is peaceful and does not cause enemies to spawn.
- The Goblin Tinkerer's quote references the 'Pin the Tail on the Donkey' game.
- The Party Girl is the only NPC to have two party unique messages.
- Even though the Tax Collector doesn't wear a party hat, he can still throw a party.
- The Old Man and Skeleton Merchant will not throw parties.
- Parties are the only event that allow you to see the hair of some NPCs, most noticeably the Dye Trader.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.2: Introduced.