Pets are little critters that follow you around. They are completely invincible and have no set duration. When summoned, they will give the player a buff with the same name as the pet. They will follow you until you die, summon a different pet, or cancel the associated buff.
Most Pets are purely cosmetic, but some of the console-exclusive Pets can do minimal damage to enemies. A few Pets emit small amounts of light, but on Desktop version and Console version, there are special Light Pets available with their own dedicated slot.
Summoned Minions operate similarly, but are primarily intended to aid combat rather than being cosmetic. Pets do not count against a player's current minion limit.
Pets can activate Teal Pressure Pads.
In total, there are 40 pets. There are 26 on Desktop version, 27 on the Console version, and 35 on the Mobile version.
Pets are manually summoned by placing their item on the hotbar and right-clicking them. On Desktop, Console, and Old-gen console, pets can be dismissed by right clicking their corresponding buff icon. Since the Mobile version cannot cancel buffs, Pets can only be unsummoned by re-using the summon item.
On the Desktop version and Console version, the inventory offers two dedicated slots, offering more complex behavior: One slot is for "regular" Pets, the other is for Light Pets. (Light pets behave similarly to ordinary pets, but provide more consistent lighting around the player.) At any time, the player can have at most one pet of each type active.
- Each pet slot has a matching dye slot, which can be used to recolor the pet. Some of the "advanced" dyes can make certain pets look very strange, or even render them invisible. If they normally shed light, the light will be unaffected by any dye.
- Each pet slot also has an "eye" icon, which can be clicked to "hide" the pet, and again to "show" it.
- Unlike the similar icons to hide accessories, the eye icon will actually dismiss and resummon the pet, not just hide and reveal it.
- If a summoning item is placed in a slot set to "hidden", the pet will not be summoned until the slot is toggled back to "visible".
- Removing a pet's item from its slot will not dismiss the pet, but placing a different pet item in the slot will replace the pet.
- Either type of pet can also be summoned by using its item from the hotbar, but only if the slot it could go into is empty or hidden.
Light Pets are summoned secondary characters that float alongside players to provide a traveling light source. They incur no mana nor any other cost, and remain indefinitely until the player cancels the buff, summons a replacement light pet or dies. Only one light pet can be present at once. Light Pets have their own dedicated inventory slot in the player's equipment section in the Desktop version and Console version along with a slot for Dyes.
Old-gen console version, Mobile version, and 3DS version[edit | edit source]
| Old-gen console version, Mobile version, and Exclusive Pets
|| Damages Enemies
|| Vial of Blood
|| Vampire Miner , Gold Chest
|| Guinea Pig
|| Dragon Snatcher , Gold Chest, Chest
|| Petri Dish
|| Corrupt Slime, Gold Chest, Chest
|| Dragon Hornet , Gold Chest, Ivy Chest
|| Wolf Fang
|| Werewolf, Gold Chest, Ivy Chest
|| The Groom, Gold Chest, Shadow Chest
1The Android pet is only found on Android devices, and the Golden Turtle pet is only found on Amazon Fire TV. Both pets can be obtained on other devices via trading.
- Although it is possible to change the color of the light pet itself using dyes, the color of the light they produce will stay the same.
- Some Pets such as the Cursed Sapling and Baby Truffle provide light for the player which is rather useful when caving or in dark areas.
- The console/mobile/3DS pet summons' chances to appear in chests seems to have increased.
- In the Xbox Edition, when a pet disappears, it can't be resummoned.
- As of the 1.3 update for the Console version, any console-exclusive pet you had was replaced with a Gold Bunny.
- In the game files, sprites regarding pets have the prefix "Projectile"
- The Nectar item looks like a flower, despite its name.
- The Pet Drone, summoned with the Mysterious Package, was introduced only on the Amazon version, but was unobtainable and later removed.
|| Pet Hoarder • "You seem to like pets."
| Obtain all exclusive pets.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Added a pet slot in Equipment tab.
- Introduced Crimson Heart (item), Magic Lantern and Suspicious Looking Tentacle.
- Dedicated light pet slot added.
- Desktop 1.2.4:
- There are several new Pets including the Mini Minotaur.
- Fixed exploit where you could dupe pets with Bug Net in multiplayer.
- Fixed bug where other player's pets would disappear after a while (in multiplayer).
- Desktop 1.2:
- There are over 15 new pets that can be found in chests and dropped rarely off enemies.
- Light Pets no longer require mana.
- Introduced Wisp in a Bottle.
- Replaced Orb of Light by Shadow Orb.
- Buffs no longer expire.