Pets are little critters that follow you around. They are completely invincible and have no set duration. When summoned, they will give the player a buff with the same name as the pet. They will follow you until you die, summon a different pet, or cancel the associated buff.
Most Pets are purely cosmetic, but some of the console-exclusive Pets can do minimal damage to enemies. A few Pets emit small amounts of light, but on Desktop version and Console version, there are special Light Pets available with their own dedicated slot.
Summoned Minions operate similarly, but are primarily intended to aid combat rather than being cosmetic. Pets do not count against a player's current minion limit.
Pets can activate Teal Pressure Pads.
Summoning and Dismissing[edit | edit source]
Pets are manually summoned by placing their item on the hotbar and right-clicking them. On Desktop, Console, and Old-gen console, pets can be dismissed by right clicking their corresponding buff icon. Since the Mobile version cannot cancel buffs, Pets can only be unsummoned by re-using the summon item.
Equipping Pets[edit | edit source]
On the Desktop version and Console version, the inventory offers two dedicated slots, offering more complex behavior: One slot is for "regular" Pets, the other is for Light Pets. (Light pets behave similarly to ordinary pets, but provide more consistent lighting around the player.) At any time, the player can have at most one pet of each type active.
- Each pet slot has a matching dye slot, which can be used to recolor the pet. Some of the "advanced" dyes can make certain pets look very strange, or even render them invisible. If they normally shed light, the light will be unaffected by any dye.
- Each pet slot also has an "eye" icon, which can be clicked to "hide" the pet, and again to "show" it.
- Unlike the similar icons to hide accessories, the eye icon will actually dismiss and resummon the pet, not just hide and reveal it.
- If a summoning item is placed in a slot set to "hidden", the pet will not be summoned until the slot is toggled back to "visible".
- Removing a pet's item from its slot will not dismiss the pet, but placing a different pet item in the slot will replace the pet.
- Either type of pet can also be summoned by using its item from the hotbar, but only if the slot it could go into is empty or hidden.
Pets[edit | edit source]
Light Pets[edit | edit source]
Light Pets are summoned secondary characters that float alongside players to provide a traveling light source. They incur no mana nor any other cost, and remain indefinitely until the player cancels the buff, summons a replacement light pet or dies. Only one light pet can be present at once. Light Pets have their own dedicated inventory slot in the player's equipment section in the Desktop version and Console version along with a slot for Dyes.
|65%||Exposes nearby treasure|
|80%||Hardmode crafting (see page for recipe)|
|120%||Exposes nearby treasure and enemies|
Old-gen console version, Mobile version, and 3DS version[edit | edit source]
Mobile[edit | edit source]
|Buff||Pet||Item||Source||Damages Enemies||Provides Light|
- The Android pet is only found on Android devices, and the Golden Turtle pet is only found on Amazon Fire TV. Both pets can be obtained on other devices via trading.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Although it is possible to change the color of the light pet itself using dyes, the color of the light they produce will stay the same.
- Some Pets such as the Cursed Sapling and Baby Truffle provide light for the player which is rather useful when caving or in dark areas.
- The console/mobile/3DS pet summons' chances to appear in chests seems to have increased.
- In the Xbox Edition, when a pet disappears, it can't be resummoned.
- As of the 1.3 update for the Console version, any console-exclusive pet you had was replaced with a Gold Bunny.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the game files, sprites regarding pets have the prefix "Projectile"
- The Nectar item looks like a flower, despite its name.
- The Pet Drone, summoned with the Mysterious Package, was introduced only on the Amazon version, but was unobtainable and later removed.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Pet Hoarder • "You seem to like pets."|
|Obtain all exclusive pets.|
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Added a pet slot in Equipment tab.
- Introduced Crimson Heart (item), Magic Lantern and Suspicious Looking Tentacle.
- Dedicated light pet slot added.
- Desktop 1.2.4:
- Desktop 1.2.2: There are several new pets as well as 1 new mount that will drop off one of the Frost Moon bosses.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Added new Halloween themed pets.
- Desktop 1.2:
- There are over 15 new pets that can be found in chests and dropped rarely off enemies.
- Light Pets no longer require mana.
- Introduced Wisp in a Bottle.
- Replaced Orb of Light by Shadow Orb.
- Buffs no longer expire.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced Fairy Bell.