- For other items which have pickaxe power, see Drills.
Pickaxes are tools used to remove blocks and mine ores. They can remove placed Wood blocks, as well as placed furniture. However, they cannot remove background walls (this requires a hammer instead). They also double as basic melee weapons. Some of the Hardmode-tier pickaxes have drill counterparts. New players spawn with a Copper Pickaxe.
When evaluating the practical efficiency of a pickaxe, consider two things: the amount of hits required (from high pickaxe power); as well as the ticks per hit from low mining speed – see the respective pages for more details. Ignore the use time attribute, which reflects the weapon swing/animation and is not related to the hits for mining.
Pickaxes can use modifiers that increase speed, like Quick and Light. Accessories with a melee speed bonus will only affect the weapon swing, and will not affect mining hits (by affecting use speed not mining speed).
Types[edit | edit source]
Effectiveness[edit | edit source]
|Block||Hit Points|| Pickaxe Hits Required|
(minimum pickaxe power required)
|Tier 1||Tier 2||Tier 3||Tier 4||Tier 5||Tier 6||Tier 7||Tier 8||Tier 9||Tier 10||Tier 11|
Many blocks not listed here
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Desktop 1.2:
- Pickaxes now used to remove furniture and wood blocks.
- Hardmode metals can be made into pickaxes as well as drills.
- Added pickaxes and drills for all the new alternate ores.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.