Zombies are common surface Enemies that appear at night, and are a primary reason newer players will want to build a shelter before night arrives. Along with Demon Eyes, they are generally among the first night enemies a player will encounter, as they appear in areas a player first spawns. Multiple NPCs living in the area will reduce or prevent local enemy spawns, including Zombies.
Zombies follow the Fighter AI and walk towards the player, dealing damage on contact. They can jump and navigate Platforms. Zombies will seem to hit closed Doors in their path repeatedly, though most of them cannot open Doors unless it is a Blood Moon (during which Blood Zombies will spawn and be able to open Doors); Spore Zombies can open Doors at any time.
In Expert Mode, some Zombies carry disembodied arms. These deal more damage on contact than other zombies and will stop to perform a 'slashing' animation when near the player, extending the range at which they can damage the player. These arm-wielding zombies are unable to open or interact with Doors at any time.
Variants[edit | edit source]
3 values: Pre-Hardmode › Hardmode › Post-Plantera
|NPC ID||Type||Health||Damage||Defense||KB Resist||Coins||Extra Drops|
|430||Armed Zombie(Expert mode exclusive)||90›198›296/135›297›444||28›50›74/42›75›111
35›62 (claw attack)
|-28||Small Bald Zombie||34/68›149›224/102›224›336||12/25›45›68/38›68›102||4/4›8›12||43%/48%/54%|
|-29||Big Bald Zombie||46/92›202›303/138›303›455||17/34›62›92/51›93›138||5/5›11›17||58%/62%/66%|
|-30||Small Pincushion Zombie||46/93›204/139›306||14/29›52/44›78||7/7›14||52%/57%/61%|
|-31||Big Pincushion Zombie||56/112›248/169›372||18/36›63/54›94||9/9›18||61%/65%/69%|
|432||Armed Pincushion Zombie(Expert mode exclusive)||100›220/150›330||32›56/48›84
40›70 (claw attack)
|-32||Small Slimed Zombie||35/71›156›234/106›234›352||11/23›40›62/34›61›93||5/5›10›16||39%/45%/51%|
|-33||Big Slimed Zombie||44/88›195›293/133›293›439||14/28›51›77/43›76›116||6/6›13›19||51%/56%/61%|
|433||Armed Slimed Zombie(Expert mode exclusive)||80›176›264/120›264›396||26›46›70/39›69›105
32›57 (claw attack)
|-34||Small Swamp Zombie||39/78›172›257/117›258›386||11/22›40›60/33›60›91||6/6›13›20||49%/54%/59%|
|-35||Big Swamp Zombie||50/101›223›334/152›335›501||14/29›51›79/44›77›118||9/9›18›27||61%/65%/69%|
|434||Armed Swamp Zombie(Expert mode exclusive)||90›198›296/135›297›444||26›46›70/39›69›105
32›57 (claw attack)
|-36||Small Twiggy Zombie||41/82›182›272/124›273›408||14/29›51›79/44›77›118||3/3›7›11||41%/47%/52%|
|-37||Big Twiggy Zombie||48/97›213›319/145›320›479||17/34›60›92/51›90›139||4/4›8›12||49%/54%/60%|
|435||Armed Twiggy Zombie(Expert mode exclusive)||90›198›296/135›297›444||32›56›86/48›84›129
40›70 (claw attack)
|-44||Small Female Zombie||33/66›217›290/99›326›435||10/20›55›74/31›83›112||3/3›10›13||32%/39%/46%|
|-45||Big Female Zombie||39/79›262›350/119›393›526||12/25›67›90/37›100›135||4/4›12›16||43%/49%/54%|
|436||Armed Female Zombie(Expert mode exclusive)||76›250›334/114›375›501||24›64›86/36›96›129
30›80 (claw attack)
|591||Armed Torch Zombie(Expert mode exclusive)||90›198›296/135›297›444||28›50›74/42›75›111
80›80 (claw attack)
|Halloween Exclusive Variants|
|319||Doctor Zombie(Halloween Variant 1)||40/80›176/120›264||20/40›72/60›108||6/6›12||40%/46%/52%|
|320||Superman Zombie(Halloween Variant 2)||60/120›264/180›396||15/30›54/45›81||8/8›16||50%/55%/60%|
|321||Pixie Zombie(Halloween Variant 3)||34/68›74›148/102›111›222||20/40›36›72/60›54›108||14/14›14›28||70%/73%/76%|
|Christmas Exclusive Variants|
|331||Xmas Zombie(Christmas Variant 1)||45/90›198›296/135›297›444||14/28›50›74/42›75›111||6/6›12›18||50%/55%/60%|
|332||Sweater Zombie(Christmas Variant 2)||45/90›198›296/135›297›444||14/28›50›74/42›75›111||6/6›12›18||50%/55%/60%|
- The name of Pixie Zombie was confirmed here: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/what-is-this-halloween-zombie-suposed-to-be.5803/#post-156346
Other Zombies[edit | edit source]
- Raincoat Zombie – spawns during Rain at night
- Frozen Zombie – spawns in the Snow biome at night
- Spore Zombie – spawns in a surface Glowing Mushroom biome at any time
- Doctor Bones – spawns in the Jungle at night
- Blood Zombie – spawns during a Blood Moon
- The Groom – spawns during a Blood Moon
- The Bride – spawns during a Blood Moon
- Maggot Zombie – spawns in Graveyards
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Zombies sometimes spawn as either larger or smaller than normal; larger zombies have more health, damage, defense, and knockback resistance, while smaller zombies are faster and have smaller hitboxes, fitting in 1.5 vertical block gaps.
- Zombies attempt to leave the screen at dawn, but may still end up attacking the player, especially if their path off-screen is blocked. They will despawn immediately once off-screen.
- A Zombie will leave if it can't find a clear path to the player. They will not consider Doors to be blocking their path, even if it is not a Blood Moon.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- While they may move slowly, they are surprisingly good jumpers. They also have a fair amount of health and cause significant damage to newer players. It is advisable that new players remain indoors at night until they gain better Weapons and Defenses.
- The Swamp Zombie is the fastest zombie as well as having very high knockback resistance towards newer players.
- A simple Wooden Sword swung repeatedly is enough to keep one or two zombies at bay. Three or more Zombies will likely be able to get past the sword and cause damage. Weapons that can hit multiple enemies work best. To kill zombies easily, build the Lava traps. The Spear or Vilethorn are ideal for this job. Ranged weapons also work well, like the Bow; Shuriken and Throwing Knives are ranged weapons that also pierce through multiple enemies, making them good candidates as well.
- If one wishes to avoid Zombies entirely during a Blood Moon, blockading doorways with any Block type will stop Zombies from entering your home. Placing a Wood Platform, Wooden Beam, or a piece of Furniture next to the door on the inside will prevent doors from swinging inward, which is the only way Zombies can enter.
- Placing doors above ground level or digging a trench two blocks wide and deep forces Zombies to jump at the doors, during which they can't open these doors.
- Another strategy is to place two doors parallel to each other, allowing NPC movement to be uninhibited by blockades. Doors won't open for Zombies during a Blood Moon, any Skeletons underground, or Hardmode enemies that can open up single doors by bashing on them, as the other door will block them from opening them inward. If the outer door is already open, though, this will not work.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Occasionally, when a Pincushion Zombie takes damage, broken Wooden Arrow shafts will fall from their body which cannot be retrieved.
- The Bald Zombie is the only regular Zombie variant that cannot carry an arm in Expert mode.
- The internal name that corresponds to the Armed Female Zombie is
, a reference to Cenx.
- The internal name of the Armed Pincushion Zombie is spelled
- Zombie: "Leaving doors open may be an invitation for shambling brain-eaters to enter the home, and nobody likes that."
- Slimed Zombie: "Sometimes, a slime's victim will turn into a zombie mid-digestion. Walking around like that is quite awkward for both parties."
- Torch Zombie: "In life, this torch-wielding zombie joined an angry mob to hunt the undead. In death, it joined an undead mob to hunt the living."
- Halloween Zombies: "Wearing costumes isn't fooling anyone; these zombies are clearly way too old to be trick or treating."
- Christmas Zombies: "Even zombies can celebrate the holidays. Their festive outfits are just right, but their holiday spirit could use some work."
See also[edit | edit source]
- Zombie Elf – another undead enemy that spawns during the Frost Moon event
- Zombie Pet – a zombie pet summoned using the Brain
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Maggot Zombie and Torch Zombie variant added.
- Zombie Eskimo renamed to Frozen Zombie.
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprites updated for the following variants:
- Desktop 1.3.2: Regular, Slimed Zombie, Bald Zombie and Swamp Zombie sprites updated.
- Desktop 1.2.2: Added Santa and Sweater Zombie variants, which only spawn during the Christmas season.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Costumed Zombies will not open doors when there is no Blood Moon.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Added Nurse, Superhero, and Pixie Zombie variants, which only spawn during the Halloween season.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Can now drop its own respective banner.
- Desktop 1.2: New variants introduced: Pincushion Zombie, Slimed Zombie, Swamp Zombie, Twiggy Zombie, Female Zombie, Rain Coat Zombie, Zombie Eskimo, Spore Zombie, and Mushroom Zombie.
- Desktop 1.1: Bald Zombie variation added.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.